Who was the greatest mathematician of the 20th century

in your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck
hsm.stackexchange.com/questions/1813/why-did-algebraic-geometry-need-alexander-grothendieck
mathworld.wolfram.com/GrothendiecksTheorem.html
arxiv.org/abs/1101.4195
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grothendieck–Riemann–Roch_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkhoff–Grothendieck_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grothendieck_inequality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

grothendieck

imb4 Neumann, Turing, Kolmogorov, Grothendieck

My big sister. She taught me how to math when I was only three years old.

It's Grothendieck....simple as that, dude was a visionary

Hilbert.

I think it would be more appropriate to say Hilbert, the first half of the 20th century, and then Grothendieck the 2nd half.....if were talking all 20th century than yeah i agree its Hilbert or Grothendieck

I...I'l concede to that.

> le grothendieck meme
> 90% of published work is exposition

Kek

I don't understand, your saying Grothendieck doesn't deserve credit? he pretty much build up the foundations of modern algebraic geometry

What about Alan Turing? does he count or not?

Von Neumann is the only mathematician that seemed to be Alien like in Intelligence

neil degrasse tyson

He's obviously the greatest mathematician of the 21st century. Lrn2century, retard.

And Chris Langan has a higher IQ than his. That doesn't mean shit.

I'm just saying...Von Neumann was probably the last universalist in mathematics

His main contribution was writing a textbook. Did Stewart lay the foundations of calculus?

Alexander Grothendieck (German: [ˈɡroːtn̩diːk]; French: [ɡʁɔtɛndik]; 28 March 1928 – 13 November 2014) was a German-born French mathematician who became the leading figure in the creation of modern algebraic geometry.[6][7] His research extended the scope of the field and added elements of commutative algebra, homological algebra, sheaf theory and category theory to its foundations, while his so-called "relative" perspective led to revolutionary advances in many areas of pure mathematics.[6][8]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck

but your right...he just wrote a textbook

>Grothendieck's only contribution was a textbook
way to show you don't know shit about math

>extended the scope of...
> led to...
So basically he just invented new words for old concepts, and then let other people do all the hard work. Why do you think all of these so- called revolutionary results are attributed to people like Serre and Deligne?

you need to stop posting

hsm.stackexchange.com/questions/1813/why-did-algebraic-geometry-need-alexander-grothendieck

Funny how his " contributions" are so numerous, but there's no important theorem called " grothendieck 's theorem"

mathworld.wolfram.com/GrothendiecksTheorem.html
arxiv.org/abs/1101.4195
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grothendieck–Riemann–Roch_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkhoff–Grothendieck_theorem

> first one is about functional analysis and not even significant enough to be on Wikipedia

>other two are just generalizations of old theorems

Wow

The dude obviously is trolling

Grothendieck contributions are on wiki if you want to see them

You're clearly trolling, but that's a nice chance to point out stuff like

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grothendieck_inequality

which you'd not expect from the guy. Saw this in a thread on Theoretical Computer science somewhere.

>No Nash
>No Mandelbrot

How does their scope and value compare to Neumann, Turing, Kolmogorov?

> I can't refute his argument
> hmmm....
> "HES A TROLL GUIZE!!!!!!"

Just the quality of discourse i should expect on a flat earth board

bbbut muh Grossendick

when your whole argument is that grothendieck wasn't influential because he wrote 1 textbook and people have supplied many references to his work..calling someone a troll is the only way we can respond to foolishness

how has nobody said carl sagan, richard feynman, or albert einstein?

i don't get this board

too late faggot

fuck off

Langan is the universalism theorist, ur point???

its Hilbert

Mathematician not physicist

Von Neumann

Guy representative a species far greater in intelligence than homo sapiens

Care to explain to a lesser mind, user?

"The only student of mine I was ever intimidated by. He was so quick. There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann."

"I have sometimes wondered whether a brain like von Neumann's does not indicate a species superior to that of man."

"He was a really remarkable man. He listened to me talk about this rather obscure subject and in ten minutes he knew more about it than I did. He was extremely quick."

"Two bicyclists start twenty miles apart and head toward each other, each going at a steady rate of 10 mph. At the same time a fly that travels at a steady 15 mph starts from the front wheel of the southbound bicycle and flies to the front wheel of the northbound one, then turns around and flies to the front wheel of the southbound one again, and continues in this manner till he is crushed between the two front wheels. Question: what total distance did the fly cover? The slow way to find the answer is to calculate what distance the fly covers on the first, northbound, leg of the trip, then on the second, southbound, leg, then on the third, etc., etc., and, finally, to sum the infinite series so obtained. The quick way is to observe that the bicycles meet exactly one hour after their start, so that the fly had just an hour for his travels; the answer must therefore be 15 miles. When the question was put to von Neumann, he solved it in an instant, and thereby disappointed the questioner: "Oh, you must have heard the trick before!" "What trick?" asked von Neumann, "All I did was sum the geometric series." "

I apologize in advance, I would go into more detail into the depth of this man's abstract though but i'm quite drunk.

>"Two bicyclists start twenty miles apart and head toward each other, each going at a steady rate of 10 mph. At the same time a fly that travels at a steady 15 mph starts from the front wheel of the southbound bicycle and flies to the front wheel of the northbound one, then turns around and flies to the front wheel of the southbound one again, and continues in this manner till he is crushed between the two front wheels. Question: what total distance did the fly cover? The slow way to find the answer is to calculate what distance the fly covers on the first, northbound, leg of the trip, then on the second, southbound, leg, then on the third, etc., etc., and, finally, to sum the infinite series so obtained. The quick way is to observe that the bicycles meet exactly one hour after their start, so that the fly had just an hour for his travels; the answer must therefore be 15 miles. When the question was put to von Neumann, he solved it in an instant, and thereby disappointed the questioner: "Oh, you must have heard the trick before!" "What trick?" asked von Neumann, "All I did was sum the geometric series." "

I got that one very quickly. Am I a genius?

As a humble disclaimer though I will say that this is my own subjective view of who the most influential mathematician of the 20th century is. Frankly as you can see we all have our differing opinions based on our personal experiences in practicing mathematics and reading about these great men in general.

Not to sound mean but you just quoted back covers from books. Which means nothing about what he did. I asked for the plot of the movie, not the fucking reviews.

I'm going to look it up but I thought you may quickly tell me what the fuck did he discovered/created.

Newton, Leibniz, Fermat.

No I know I did and I was going to insert that into original post containing his quotes however I reached the character limit and must have forgotten. I pulled the quotes directly from Wikiquotes with the the one quotes concerning geometric series from a random website. You do not sound mean at all, it is completely logical. If you feel like reading one of his books, I recommend reading "The Brain and the Computer" by Von Neumann. It is unfinished as he died 3/4 through the book. It is written in the format of a Sillman lecture intended to be presented to Princeton students discussing the parallelism between the brain and the computer with the incorporation of cybernetics indirectly in general.

Pic unrelated. I thought it would be to funny

You still actually failed to point out any of his discoveries.

Yeah i'm pretty drunk still. yep.

it has to be Grothendieck

dude laid the foundations for modern algebraic geometry

Grothendieck

einstein is the greatest mathematician of all time you dolt

Why do we spend so much time worrying about who said it rather than what they said?

Einstein

Gödel. Depressing that the thread has not said his name, and even more depressing that somone will disagree.

Neumann and Grothenpenis are legitimately the main cultivators of modern mathematics

So eat dick faggot

I was actually gonna go for him, but Hilbert IMO is slightly more influential

>even tough Godel Before Hilbert

you should go back to r*ddit

Lebesgue? He basically laid down the foundation for modern analysis. Or how about Galois?

Galois was nineteenth century.

Wrong century.

>I reject your reality and substitute my own

First person to actually make sense here

>before
BTFO* fuck you autocorrect

I just can't take it anymore, I hate Mathematicians.

>so last night I was sat in my office
>I've studied economics for decades, I studied a BA, and then an MPhil and doctorate
>I have read Walras, Marshall, Jevons, the list goes on
>not sure how the 1929 crash occurred, I'm writing something about rational expectations but I'm struggling. It doesn't really make sense.
>a well known associate of Russell, and mathematician wanders into my office, Keynes, looks at my work and says "aggregate demand"
>then he writes the general theory and destroys decades of my work
>later...
>struggling to rationalize human behavior to conform to my micro assumptions
>another mathematician, Nash, wanders into the room, glaces at my work, snorts, and says "game theory"
>"what?"
>"are you a communist spy?", he replies
>and like that he wins a Nobel Prize in economics
>later on I'm reading Bentham and Mill again
>struggling
>something seems wrong
>I can't quite put my finger on it, I wonder if it's possible to actually calculate margi-
>Von Neumann walks in
>not again
>"utility is applied probability, oh and did I mention game theory?"
>he then saunters off back to pure mathematics

I'm literally shaking with rage now, why can't mathematicians just leave me and my field alone? They just saunter in without any formal training and humiliate us. REEEE GET OUT

>MPhil
Stopped reading.

(that's the joke)

Yea, no, I got it. I just dislike Oxford's special little snowflake titles like MPhil and DPhil. Like what's wrong with the good old PhD?

No point in this thread. "The greatest..." doesn't make sense. Grothendieck wouldn't have done such things without mathematicians before him, like Poincaré who created Homology, and wrote wonderfully, its a delight to read his analysis situs for instance. He created a main concept in algebraic topology, fundamental on Grothendieck'x continuation. Nobody told about him here...
And what would be Deligne without Grothendieck? we can't know, but would he have invented all G-vocabulary on schemes and cohomology?
Everyone has its right place in maths...

So, what you're saying is that Euclid is the greatest mathematician?

No... Maybe more that (all) Mathematicians wouldn't be as good as they are now if had not been for instance. Point is that "the greatest mathematician" doesn't make sense at all...

As so Pythagoras is the greatest Mathematician. He was to first to actually study math as a field, and there was none before him on which he could rely on.

How are you sure he was the first?

>Greek Mathematician Pythagoras is considered by some to be one of the first great mathematicians. Living around 570 to 495 BC, in modern day Greece, he is known to have founded the Pythagorean cult, who were noted by Aristotle to be one of the first groups to actively study and advance mathematics.

He wasn't the first who did math, though he was apparently the first who started to study math as a field. Same way people used logic before Aristotle - in India for example, but he was the first who actually studied logic as a field.

guys explain inter-universal Teichmüller theory to me.

It was made by this German guy called Teichmüller. The basic tenet of this theory - for it is just that - a theory, is that it's self-referential, that is to say inter(nal), and it can be applied to n-ammount of universes, that is to say every universe in existence - infinite universes.

Why'd they have to die so young

more pls user

"He can count everything except calories" - Klara von Neumann, his wife.

Basically he was a lardass who ate himself to death. That and there was that episode where he tried nuking all the commies, and probably got irradiated when helping with the Manhattan project.

Alan Turin was chemically castrated for being gay and most likely became an hero.

past 40 no mathemathician did anything worthwile

>who is Euler

>Tarski: father of Model Theory, literally defined (essentially borrowed it from Aristotle but who cares) and put the concept of Truth on the map, prolific logician
>Frege: father of First-order Logic that is the foundation of all modern mathematics, Philosophy of Logic and Language, and analytic philosophy as a whole.

Neumann set the direction of the entire US Cold War strategy, created the concept of MAD, and basically prevented nuclear war while past 40.

Grothendeick or Perelman.

Revising to Turing, Hilbert, Grothendeick and Perelman. Kinda Perelman

About goddamn time.

"Kurt Godel's achievement in modern logic is singular and monumental - indeed it is more than a monument, it is a landmark which will remain visible far in space and time. ... The subject of logic has certainly completely changed its nature and possibilities with Godel's achievement." - John von Neumann

You know you've done something great when John vonFucking Neumann compliments you.

Grothendieck is the best

Is this exotic bait?

Alan Turing was a computer scientist though, not a mathematician

You are missing the point. Mathematics is a community activity for producing ideas, not a robot activity for compiling large caches of proofs. The amount of mathematics that has come out of Grothendieck's letters and expositions and other unrigorous work is staggering, and he was the main cultivator of it. What you are saying is like claiming Newton and Leibniz didn't invent calculus simply because their work wasn't formalized until Cauchy, Weierstrass, et alii. It shows a lack of mathematical maturity on your part.

I'd say Grothendeick, Alan Turing, Perelman

Ramanujan.

/thread

>Grothenpenis
Growthenpenis

Cute

Ramanujan, Von Neumann, and Claude Shannon are the three that first come to mind.

Chris Langan is a freak

No one mentioned Hermann Weyl yet. I'd root for him.

Von Neumann worked on several topics, but he was by no means a universalist.

>Growthenpenis
Growthinpenis

what did Von Neumann actually accomplish in math?