What do you think of people with a major in humanities trying to go to medical school?

What do you think of people with a major in humanities trying to go to medical school?

Would one be safer in a STEM Major, Like Biology ( one of the most commonly picked) ?

I've been planning on majoring in english while taking the pre-reqs for med school. What are your thoughts?

Any doctors/med students/ or other medical professionals with some insight ?

Other urls found in this thread:

oswego.edu/Images/biology/mackenzie/Fig 1.jpg
oswego.edu/academics/colleges_and_departments/departments/biology/faculty/mackenzie/homepage/advising/Pre-health_Careers/major_admission_data.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the M in STEM is not for Medicine

Math right, but what I meant was would one be safer in a major that falls under the "umbrella of STEM"

Science- Biology / Chem/ OChem
Technology - Computer science (perhaps?)
Engineering - Maybe too far from a medical field
Math- Physics / Epidemiology ( stats for diseases)

How does english help prepare you for a medical career? Biology sounds much more reasonable

>What do you think of people with a major in humanities trying to go to medical school?

That they were pretty smart, assuming that this was their plan all along. Think about it, classes were literally finding out what the politics of your professors were and then sucking their dick in your essays. Homework was all about masturbating to poetry.

They literally had a vacation for 4 years and probably had more than enough time to self prepare for the med school test, whatever it is called.

That said, those people have the lowest acceptance rate (which kinda implies that these people use med school as a second chance after they realize that their shitty degree will put them directly into poverty) probably only beaten by the absolute worst degree, Biology.

By the way, if you want to think about safety then Mathematics is the undergrad education with the highest acceptance rate into medschool and the only one with more than 50% acceptance rate.

However, that probably says more of the kind of people who study mathematics than about math being a safe field for future doctors.

>Biology sounds much more reasonable

Except it doesn't.

oswego.edu/Images/biology/mackenzie/Fig 1.jpg

Humanities is way over Biology when it comes to actually getting accepted.

>Engineering - Maybe too far from a medical field
Biomedical engineering - ultrasound and shit.

If anyone cares here is the source
oswego.edu/academics/colleges_and_departments/departments/biology/faculty/mackenzie/homepage/advising/Pre-health_Careers/major_admission_data.html

And quoting an interesting fact from this source:
>Even though most students who plan to attend medical school study majors in Biological Sciences, these majors do not have higher average acceptance rates than most others.

Oh! Very true

It's my plan yes Medical School and then a Doctor ( of which i'm not 100% yet as to what type)
I just started school so after doing some reading I thought English would be a good fit since as you said it's pandering and poetry.

I'm going to take bio classes, math, and chem alongside my english courses. Frankly I'm still a bit confused as to how college works, I can't really as anyone in the family because I'm the first.
But thankyou I appreciate the feedback Also big thanks

As long as you have a good reason for going into English instead of say Biology or Chemistry then it can help you in terms of how the medical schools will look at you. Stories are everything in interviews. Also most medical schools order their applications by major so this helps you stand out easier.

Do realize though because you are doing a non STEM course and the required pre medical courses (Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, O Chem 1 and 2, Biochem, Calculus 1, Physics 1 and 2 and Genetics) you will most likely end up taking more hours than necessary to graduate. This means that if you have scholarships which only pay for a certain number of attempted hours then you cannot drop as many classes and you will need to take classes during summer to graduate in the normal 4 years even with no dropped classes.

On one hand the easier English classes will allow you to spend more time on the core pre medical classes and bolster up a higher GPA but you may find your lack of overall science background to be debilitating. This is why many people instead do either a minor in the non stem course or a dual major. For instance, at first I was a pre medical psychology student which worked well but I am now spending an extra year for another degree in Biology so I have a greater science background before going into medical school itself.

Lastly if you are going this route then you need to start taking all your pre medical core classes as soon as possible so that you completed as many of them as possible before you take the MCAT. But this is easier said than done especially if you're not 100% committed to this yet.

Keep in mind if you decide to not be pre med and use this tactic then you will have a lot of wasted hours. If you don't use this tactic and stay pre med then you'll find yourself cramming and self studying for subjects that you have had no class experiences in.

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

Seeing Haruhi's face makes me so sad.
So many memories that are now long gone...

Fuck you faggot.

What does this post have to do with science, you fucking degenerate?

Was does your post about supposedly being a pedophile has to do with science, you fucking retard.

This is Veeky Forums you mouth breather. Even the ads are fucking anime for fucks sake. Please go back to plebbit, this is not your refuge just because you got downvoted there.

It literally doesn't matter what your major is.
What matters is:
-cGPA (cumulative)
-sGPA (science)
-MCAT score
-extracurricular (volunteering/research)
-reputation of undergrad school (not as much, but still a factor)

If I knew simply using a random reaction image would cause such shitposting from you I wouldn't have used it trust me. I'm simply helping OP out.

I know the pain. Maybe one day we'll get to relive those memories with some new content.

It would be advantageous. You'd be looked upon as an interesting student with broad tastes and diverse talents. You'd also be uncommon. But it would be hard.

I know, blah blah, humanities majors are easy, I know. But remember that 90% of pre-med requirements are included in a Biology or Biochemistry major anyway, so with those you would be doing little to no extra work. Pursuing humanities would mean you would essentially have two majors. That's hard. Sure, a history paper isn't too hard. It's pretty hard when you have to switch gears and write a physics lab at the same time, though. And it's challenging to maintain a real interest in both literature and genetics at the same time.

The upside is that you would be a lot smarter than the other pre-meds, and would have some depth of character, which is something I always found lacking in your group. You will look very good if you do this, and will be a more interesting and developed person, but you will be challenged.

thankyou.
The journey ahead is a long one, I'm transferring from a CC. So that in itself will prove to be my first hurdle to overcome.
I'll work as hard as I can these four years, and though it kills me to think of the endless onslaught of sleepless nights and intensive studying sessions I know I'll pull through.
Thanks for all your help, and If you guys can provide me with any more advice/help/tips/ I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Why do you want to become a doctor? Don't give me the I want to help people or make money. Too many med students find out the hard way why they want to become a doctor but end up hating the field. Its a thankless job and the prestige behind it is dead. You're going to be a paper pusher doing insurance claims more than your duties as a doctor. Depression and suicide rates are at an all time high for doctors. Dissatification with the profession is growing and lots of doctors are pushing people away from the field. You have to be sure you want this because too many kids going in with naive outlook on life or retarded money whores who find out that they're going to be in debt until the age of 45-50. This is why a lot of STEM posters and folk in real life don't go to med school or law school for that matter. This is why they push you down the engineering or pure science PhD route. If you want to save people then you'll have a better impact in biology with a PhD.

Undergrad before med school is mostly just a meme and is a barrier to entry. Doctors are doctors because of med school and residency. Eliminate the undergrad component and nothing would change. This is how the majority of the world trains their doctors.

American higher education is very antiquated. Europeans took all the good things about American higher education and improve them with great precision. American higher education is just business. This is why their healthcare is expensive. They have an artificial shortage of doctors because of this old style of picking doctors. Its intentional to increase the price of healthcare to support their salaries and cost of stay in hospitals. The AMA is the problem with some influence from government and private sector companies.

Most US MD schools require bachelors degree as a prerequisite. While it is a meme, its still necessary.

Also, google student doctor network.
The forum will answer everything and more.