Bookshelf

Bookshelf thread.

Just got a new one since the stacks were growing out of control. I have a couple more stacks back home to add on soon. They will probably finish this one off so I need to get one more.

Other urls found in this thread:

woodgears.ca/beginner/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hows it looking, Veeky Forums?

Feels really small tbqh, maybe it's because of the size of the books, but the style looks great m9

I cringe every time I see bookshelf threads. Feels good to have a Kindle, desu.

Kill yourself, user.

how is how to read and why?

i have how to read a book by mortimer adler, should i pick big bloomie's thing too?

You should kill yourself, I can read most of your books without spending a single dollar and wasting any space. But you'd say:
>m-muh materialism
>muh feels
>muh patrician image

you're ready for the big one

we'll all be filtering shit out of our water, and you'll be snacking on the cheesiest THREE CHEESY mac and cheeses

what on earth else are you saving your money and space for? it's not like hookers or drugs take that much money or permanent space.

I hate the shelves with the little lip that obscures the title of the first and last book

adler's book is worth the time, and readable/entertaining to boot

yeah, i've read it already. i thought it was kind of verbose though, still, very good. i refer back to it often

>I can read most of your books without spending a single dollar

Are you poor or jewish?

This is a great I read occasionally stack but I'm hip with those literati

What can you tell me about corn?

Veeky Forums info graphic /10

I made this recently

v nice

Nice work.
I'd woodglue some triangular dowels beneath each shelf in the 90 degree corners so it could support the weight of a full collection. And then stain it.
It would look great after that

>survive nuclear war
>die of peanut allergy a week later

i use those to hide away books that people give me as presents that i don't really like but i feel bad about throwing out

Trying to hide the doorway to your sex dungeon, are you?

Thank you.

The boards are supported by wooden dowels. Should I still put extra support? The horizontal planks are pine, 2.5cm thick, 94cm long. Do you think they will bow under the weight of the books?

Once I get paid I'll probably buy the material needed to sand, stain, and finish it. The bare pine smells so nice in my room though I might leave it for a bit longer.

From a couple of weeks back (I've got about another dozen since).

And the dozen since. I saw an user gushing about Dillard on here, and it was cheap on ThriftBooks. Definitely sounded like my type of book.

leave me alone

do you guys care about the condition of your books?

To a certain point. I once got a Penguin edition of T'ang Poems that was literally in two pieces (the binding had snapped down the center). Not really okay with that. I have a book with a corner of the cover torn off and some of the edges peeling and that's fine though.

not the guy saying dowels, but what you really need is supports about every 36" (at most, safer to do closer), which means you're about 3cm over needing supports in there. you could risk it, especially since the boards are thick.

I'd do it by putting in panels, like you have on the top, on every shelf because doweling won't do shit for you to stop sagging, and you can make it look like a design feature by staggering them in a diagonal.

also, pine is a bitch to paint if it's strong because it's resinous, so make sure you don't put books on it before you finish it or they might stick.

how do i unfuck my brain so i stop wanting to replace even slightly damaged books

i like the word "dowel". it should be used more frequently i think

I dunno, I don't see too much issue with that if you've got the money. It probably prevents you from having too many unread books on your shelf too.

you could get into that mono no aware shit with tale of the genji and stuff

instead of telling yourself it's broken or old, tell yourself it's lived and well loved.

if you do have the money for it like says, at least donate the "damaged" ones once you replace them if they'd be viable to someone else.

Yes, I can't stand beat up books so I take very good care of what I own. I also don't buy used books (or anything really) unless I don't have a choice and even then I look around for a pristine copy.

Bloom's book is good but it isn't at all like Adler's. Bloom's book is much more focused on the why part. He discusses great literature and gives examples of why the are great, breaking down the poem/story/novel/play and explaining what it is he gets out of it and why he thinks it is worth reading.

Yeah. I was looking it up and pine needs wood conditioner before being stained and varnished. As for being 3cm over code, it is a concern, but each shelf only holds about 30-35 books -- is that heavy enough to warrant it?

tbph i usually solve sagging by a) ignoring it or b) propping up the shelf with the books on the shelf below. if you want to stop it from sagging, you can see if it bows when you put books on it and then deal with it from there.

at 1" thick, the shelves aren't likely to bow enough they'll come off, it'll just look weird and be harder to fix than if you catch it early if you do warp it.

if it does have trouble with the weight you can add panels if you care but that means more staining etc after the fact. it's reasonably likely it would sag at that length if you filled it with hardbacks, but it does depend on weight of what you put on it/how much you stuff it.

i'd just finish it, and if it starts getting full or sagging, cut and treat the panels and leave them dry before putting them in, so you're not waiting for the whole thing to dry again. remember if you leave a rough edge you won't see, it'll still be able to ooze out resin.

Getting invaded by /diy/ is pleasant and I wish it happened more often.

wow you picked the best dillard

I'll probably end up inserting the panels before finishing. Thanks for your input.

/diy/ is pretty cozy

May I ask in what order do you have them arranged? Do you sort them out by genre or alphabetically?

Neither--by country that the author was born in. It's a bit of a random zig-zag from African through the bottom of Asia, then to Russia, through Europe and hop over to North America to South America. Within country I go chronologically.

What's actually a "normal" amount of books for people to own? I have around 200 and it doesn't look like a lot.But then I see people posting their shelves with 40 - 80 books who act like it's an achievement. And then I see irl people who easily own over 1000 and don't make a fuzz about it.

For a middle aged person in a white collar job, I would expect somewhere around 1000 books in their house.

But I don't really know. My parents were unskilled laborers and have about 200 on their living room shelves mixed in with candles, whatnots, etc. My grandparents had about a thousand in a room devoted to books (mainly ancestry, self-help and children's books). My grandma on the other side had well over a thousand romance novels.

I'm OP and I have around 300 at 24. Growing up, my parents had probably 600-700 around the house.

I have better books than any of you.

I'd say 500-1000

Most people don't read more than that in their lifetime

>almost all (unread) american lit

try again user.

how do I into woodworking? Any good resources for a beginner?

You can get into it with minimal expense. Look here woodgears.ca/beginner/

He suggests buying cheap tools. But start up expense can still run you up to $200-300. Still, it never hurts to have tools laying around even if you don't use them much.

I still can't cut straight with the handsaw. I'd really like to buy a table saw.

cheers mate.

Soooo are you going to have like a single book that triggers the mechanism to your dungeon or something classy at least?

You need to build a bookcase that isn't made out of pressed wood.

>braging about not spending money on things you enjoy
you got the corporation good user!

Not that guy but my problem is that my main bookcase was built in high school in a serious woodshop out of solid oak. I don't have the tools to build comparable second and third cases nor the money to buy them.

If I'm buying online I greatly prefer brand new. Otherwise I will gladly pick up books used if they aren't covered in stickers.

Most people I meet have about 1-2 bookcases in their house, maybe 100 books or so. I only envy them when I have to move my library (5000+).

High five for the Moomintrolls! Jansson is incredible.

Post pics of your library in the thread, user.

>only having one hobby to spend money on
wow
clothes dont buy themselves
guns dont buy themselves

There's no reason you can't spend money across many hobbies. Why are you willing to spend it on others but somehow believe collecting books to be materialism?

and pics of your funs please

This is stupid. You don't need very many guns, you just need a couple good ones and a duplicate of your primary pistol. The only cost then is ammo which isn't bad when bought in bulk and/or reloaded.

Clothes are similar. Buy several shirts and a few pairs of slacks from BB. Get a couple pairs of jeans and a small amount of high quality casual/field/workout clothes, a pair of running shoes, a pair of sandals, and a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds. You're all in for a couple grand and all of it will last years.

The rest of your money can go to books.

patrician hobbies user
i hope you're an /out/ist and not just a /k/ommando

lit/fa/out crossposter here

I want that goddamn pantry.

you're both faggot pseuds

Really, the guns thing is mostly stupid because of the disparity in cost between the two hobbies.

My entire book collection (about 1,300 books) didn't even cost as much as two of my best guns. I could go out and buy a gun that's worth at least twice as much as all the books I own. It's plenty easy to fit book collecting in between all that.

Right now it's just 90 heavy boxes. I just moved, and haven't set up bookcases in the new library yet. I'll post pics when it's all together.

dank memes, have anything of value to contribute?

Are you the user who posted a picture of that nice bay window area in his new house? Still looking forward to it.

I can understand this.

Apartment or house?

Unfortunately, apartment.

i have the same chronicles of narnia set.
i love how easily spottable infinite jest is lmao

Damn, well I would first see what your old man or other family member has in the way of tools, if you don't find anything and you are near a metroplex look for woodshops/makerspaces near you.

There really is nothing as satisfying as building your own shit.

That's me. Might be a month.. and really organizing the books will take even longer.
Moved from apt to our first house, so I'm happy as a clam to finally have a library, a den, and an office.

That's not you, faggot. That's me. Quit trying to steal my (You).

No bully plz

does stacking them onthe floor count?

i'm having trouble moving them now

>vidya
I thought Veeky Forums was the remedy to vidya

plebrary

I pretty much stopped playing games ever since I started reading again about 2 months ago.

I was never good at games, but I loved the stories so I kept trying to play them. Eventually stopped because they were so frustrating, after that I discovered books and it was awesome

now thats what i call memed

I stopped getting any form of enjoyment out of them. Got to the point where I would be falling asleep after attempting to play any game.

You got any 1st edition or signed mac n cheese in there?

peep these limited edition dino cheeses farn

>i love how easily spottable infinite jest is lmao
Yeah, I've kind of noticed that before in some other images but never thought about that

I asked you once and you didn't answer me. How is hardcover CitR on the inside?

Not him but its the same as the paperback.

>cluttering your home with physical books

wew lads.

>physical books
>clutter
pick one

>cluttering your devices with digital books

THIS dog needs help

like bees to the flowers do the kindle-and-rudefags come swarming in summer

Books take up very little space once you have tall bookcases (at most, they might make a room 2-3' smaller) and provide great insulation and visual interest. And that's if you're an illiterate assclown. If you can actually read, and enjoy large formats, colour plates, antiques, unusual designs, etc., the joys are endless.

>blaming summer
Why is this a thing? Veeky Forums is a cesspool regardless of time of year.

>partaking of the technological jew
goodbye rato

It's funny how people only say this in the summer.

because people only start blaming summer when its summer.

Are you implying children don't use the internet more during summer?