Why do so many people hate math?

Why do so many people hate math?

I'm asking seriously here, not with that smug sense of superiority so many STEMtards have when it comes to this kind of thing. What is it about math (and to a lesser extent science) that leads to such a volatile hatred of the subject?

Math has a defined wrong or right answer when we start out, which always motivated me to improve. I got more questions wrong than I did right, but I didn't care because I was learning. However, I propose that most people see failure not as something to learn from and recognise as a usual part of development, but as a measure of some fixed quantity now and forever. Personally, I think intelligence can be improved, and I think the more I worked at complex problems the more intelligent and able to deal with novel concepts I became.

However, if you don't believe you can improve these most basic set of attributes, you will fear the subject because you will say, "if my intelligence is fixed, failure measured me forever".

Why do you guys think it is?

Other urls found in this thread:

hbpms.blogspot.com/
math.stackexchange.com/
math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/book-recommendation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All abstract subjects seem inherently unnecessary to all but the practitioners of that discipline. For the same reason that a modern mathematician might scorn archaic disciplines, while the practioners of those discplines viewed their own abstractions as usefull and simple.

>Math has a defined wrong or right answer when we start out, which always motivated me to improve.
That is neither what math is about nor would any sane individual be motivated by solving baby practice problems.
>I got more questions wrong than I did right, but I didn't care because I was learning. However, I propose that most people see failure not as something to learn from and recognise as a usual part of development, but as a measure of some fixed quantity now and forever. Personally, I think intelligence can be improved, and I think the more I worked at complex problems the more intelligent and able to deal with novel concepts I became.
You don't like math, you like the ego boost you get from associating yourself with it. This is the typical behaviour of kids who were never successful at anything in high-school and need to cling to identifying associations to perserve their ego.

>However, if you don't believe you can improve these most basic set of attributes, you will fear the subject because you will say, "if my intelligence is fixed, failure measured me forever".
>Why do you guys think it is?
Did you seriously just associate mathematical maturity with fluid intelligence? Fuck off retard, go see a shrink, don't study mathematics you'll be terrible at it and end up killing yourself in your early 20s when you realize how little being a fanboy matters.

why do manlets hate basketball?
people don't like what they're bad at and math-savvy is like its own athleticism

>All abstract subjects seem inherently unnecessary to all but the practitioners of that discipline.
Excellent explanation as to why most people are fucking idiots. Brilliant.

It takes more cognitive energy to study something thats not familiar to you. Algebra and beyond are not familiar and become less inuitive over time. Since people like what takes less cognitive ability, inversely, they dislike what takes more cognitive energy.

So, a lot of people dont like it.

>People are idiots because they never studied abstractions in a specific field.

By that logic everyone is a fucking idiot. Do you ever bother to study all the abstractions in the Golden Dawn system of magick?

Exactly. More reasonably there are academic disciplines besides mathematics.

I hate math because it has so much uncertainty and the proofs seem arbitrary. I hate logic for the same reason.

I don't like the way mathematicians prove things. Inferential logic pisses me off. It feels hollow and lacking in crunchy satisfying "this axiom is OK! Let's move forward!" moments.

The only reason I feel this way is because this is how math was taught to me. Precalc and university level math for me was just training to be an economics student and use a calculator, with no deeper understanding. When I tried to get into the deeper understanding side of things, all I could find are guys who really like finding new indirect proofs of patterns in extremely large prime numbers and stuff. It seemed obnoxiously abstract.

Oddly, I didn't mind math when it was taught as a method for finding proximal, pragmatic results, like how some physicists sometimes say they use it. Then it was a means to an end, and it let me see beautiful symmetries and logical chains and stuff, in ways that tied to "real results." And I am interested in the philosophy of math on certain architectonic levels.

But I honestly just can't seem to find the enjoyment in number puzzles that theoretical mathematicians have, and (probably more damaging) every time I tried to find a good way to learn math, I was treated like a Chinese kid training for a business degree and it killed the fun. They just assumed I didn't want any deeper aspects of it, that all I wanted was the formulae to plug into the calculator.

I should clarify:

(1) The first two lines are how math FELT to me, when I tried to learn it. Not how I think it really is.

(2) When I say "obnoxiously abstract," I mean more like hollowly abstract. I love obnoxiously abstract shit, I just can't understand why the fuck anyone cares about primes or number puzzles.

I hated math because it was my weakest subject, and I was always in the second highest math class. I later learned to love it after taking Physics 1 and 2, still not sure why though.

People hate math because math education focuses on plug-and-chug bullshit, not deep understanding.

Imagine trying to learn a language by just memorizing phrases, completely avoiding studying grammar.

Wew lad

this, it's exactly why there were more polymaths in the past, instead of just using calculators and repeating equations it was taught hands on. it's so much more fun and engaging to hand a student a straight-edge and compass and teach them how to construct shapes than it is to repeat bullshit equations that are only helpful for the upcoming test.

All they need to know is the equations not some faggy compass shit.

Well primes are supremely useful in cryptography. If an easy way to find primes is discovered, then all encryption we currently use will be easily defeated.

I hated it as a kid but it irked me to the point where I basically viewed it as something I could not let get the better of me. So I hit it hard until I eventually just became good at it. Wasn't until the abstract stuff and a little maturity till I genuinely enjoyed it.

I think you meant an easy way to factorize numbers into primes?

Both would be major breakthroughs that would revolutionize mathematics.

>all encryption we currently use
What about elliptic curves?

Isn't the thing with primes that any combination of primes can equal all other numbers?

What i think is also very true and part of the problem is that in a lot of western societies its not that "socially unacceptable" to be bad at math.
If a politician/actor etc. goes to a talkshow and says he doesn't know Shakespeare (in my country goethe or schiller) then god have mercy for him.... If he says he was "always bad at math" the audience laughs.

So what you're saying is, we should exterminate people who are bad at math?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

naw im just saying that it became "cool" to be shit at math because of many celebrities

When you don't understand the subject, but see someone just magically move symbols around and produce an amazing result, it's really easy to convince yourself that "you just aren't good at math like some people" because it's difficult to gauge how much effort someone put into learning it. Math takes effort, any mathematician would agree, but you never see people practice it (unless you are in a class room). The skill and it's honing are completely invisible, and thus misunderstood.

It doesn't help that often the people worst at math are responsible for teaching it in public schools.

Murdering everyone who is bad at math seems like a good way to make being bad at math uncool. Being dead isn't very cool after all.

;(((
Are you feeling lonely user?

I think its because they don't understand, and think that they can never understand it.

It may be because they didn't pay attention enough, or didn't have a good teacher, or didn't know how to study properly early on. All of those things could cause someone to disconnect from Mathematics and feel like they can never catch up or understand.

I personally was home schooled multiple years in elementary school, and in High School had a horrible teacher Freshman year. This created a huge gap for me. I didn't understand fractions properly, nor Algebra really. Only through pure memorization did I pass tests. Even then I didn't have the proper studying technique.

Because I was so good in English and History I never really studied for a test, I thought I could do the same for Math; which isn't the case, its good to review.

It wasn't until College that I took my first Math Class very seriously. Understanding everything to the best of my ability, reviewing, and eventually getting As.

Once I got an A in Algebra I realized I could do the same for any Math Class, because all it took at the minimum was a lot of hard work.

I'm not sure, OP. I legit enjoyed math all the way to high school.

Started to get confused until I started making integers in calculus, but everything was okay to me.

Personally I think it's just a meme to hate math, and with enough pretending it has become the truth. It ain't that hard.

>Why do you guys think it is?
I think it's widespread retardation.
Prove me wrong.

Hmm, never thought of it that way, could be true.

All the way through school people would just worry on how to solve specific examples of problems instead of seeing a bigger picture, where you can play with stuff because it's abstract.

The shitty meme of "hur hur letters and math combined into algebra" is 120% bullshit. People don't seem to use their abstract thinking; those letters are still numbers, just that we are trying to find their value (algebra) or do something where we don't particularly care about what the number is (calculus).

This is coming from a psych. major whose school almost universally hates statistics while I like them a lot. Peopple want ham-fisted answers instead of actually understanding what is that you're doing.

I got by in physics playing around with formulas, because I understood what I was doing instead of "use X formula on Y problem, substitue and solve".

Lazy-ass students. That lack of critical thinking will kill them.

/rant

>yfw you realize people who suck at math are incredibly insecure

if not retarded

vaping causes irreversible lung damage

I think the biggest issue is that through 99% of schooling, none of the teachers ever make an effort to actually teach you a single thing.
Also, teaching math should be done through programming examples for the most part. That's quite possibly the best way to make it stick.

Biological predisposition. The human brain has been dealing with language, narratives, facts about plants and animals, etc for all of human history. Getting it to do math however takes some forcing.

not dry herb vapes

I think you're autistic and that most people really don't give a flying fuck.

I meant the e-cigs everyones using like that fedora alien is smoking in the pic

He can't hear you.

He's a picture.

nice picture

I think a lot of it boils down to insecurity. Math is one of those things most people are not inherently good at, because it requires work. Most people don't put in the work, and hence don't get the full picture. Couple that with a society that equates math with intelligence and tells you that it's okay to hate math at every turn, and voila -- people hate math.

Most people are susceptible to triggering by all the double meanings of words there are in education.

Basically programmed to not think straight.

Probably differences in teaching styles you were exposed to.

Most high school level math teachers fucking SUCK at teaching math. Students learn to hate it because they're not being taught properly.

Because it's not a field that is particularly interesting to most people. I didn't enjoy it until I got to calculus, and I still hate algebra. Also, primary school teachers are pretty terrible teachers, especially in math. College also has some pretty terrible teachers in math. It does not make it at all interesting to students learning the subject. A blame a lack of relatable analogies.

I'm about to take precalculus for the third time in community college.

Dropped out my first try and got a D second time because I was unable to attend the first test and it fucked me over when I got C's on the rest.

People don't really hate math itself they just hate that it doesn't come intuitively like it does to some people.

I actually think math can be fun like a puzzle, but I just wish I was good at it..

It's boring as fuck. I remember being in school and just struggling to even stay awake as the teacher droned on about stupid math shit. Maybe i would have done better if I was an autist who enjoyed doing math, but I wasn't.

People dislike what they can't fully understand

I used to go to math olympiads and shit until early high school, then I started watching House MD and ultimately went with medicine.

I think I stopped enjoying math because of the way it was taught to us
>you do this, then you do that and then you get the answer
>don't think, just use this way to solve the problem
>exam is the same problems with different numbers
>any knowledge that I have retained is virtually pointless to me now because they never told us where this stuff is applicable

>All abstract subjects seem inherently unnecessary to all but the practitioners of that discipline.
While the rest of your post is retarded, this is true. One of the most common remarks I remember from algebra and calculus classes in high school was "when are you going to need this in real life?!"

>waaaaaaaahh, __________ is boringgggg!!!!!!!!
underageb&

if it isn't the lack of seeing any application of abstract math or its apparently redundant level of rigor, i think people are just intimidated by it. people hear the word "calculus" and shit their pants.

furthermore, the work of a mathematician doesn't seem very relatable to an average joe. most people i've met in STEM either want a good job option (eng, cs, ac-sci) or to study natural sciences.

tl;dr: people want to study something they immediately see as useful or applicable

most of math is not plug and chug

I really am appreciating the irony of this response, so good yum

This is the best answer in the thread IMO. I think that math is in a weird place that other subjects aren't. They really try to teach you too much math at once. I think they do this because math education is about preparing the next generation of mathematicians and math is a vast field that needs a ton of new skills to not only be good, but nearly mindlessly fluid. Couple that with the fact that those who take to the subject naturally are so far ahead of their peers who are just normal people for whom math is a struggle.

If someone is "genius level" talented with words or spelling or something. That person has an advantage over his peers but since the literacy rate is near 100% that person doesn't stand out as time goes on. Take another person who is similarly able in mathematics and they are going to look like fucking wizards to their peers until late college or maybe grad school. Someone said it is similar to athleticism. I think that is true. But it appears that it is more malleable that athleticism. You can get college-ready for math faster than you can get college-ready for football.

>But it appears that it is more malleable that athleticism. You can get college-ready for math faster than you can get college-ready for football.

I'd say it would be easier for someone decently athletic to become excellent at some bullshit like squash than for someone decently smart to become excellent at math

hey nerds

I want to learn math, with like proofs and shit

where do I start. I am in community college, waiting to get into university but it's too slow

what do in the mean time?

>why do manlets hate basketball?
who do you think watches basketball you fucking nigger?I'm starting to think that this board should be called /downies/ not Veeky Forums.

hbpms.blogspot.com/
math.stackexchange.com/
math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/book-recommendation
Good luck

Thanks for this user.

I don't agree. Squash seems to require some good lungs and the ability to cover like ten feet of space somewhat quickly. I am talking more like taking a person of average athletic ability and getting them ready for college football so that they can become a contributor to the team, not just a swinging dick for the starters to crush.

What if I'm a complete beginner?I see that the first link has a "elementary stuff" graph but will that be enough for someone completely inexperienced?

Here you go, it starts with elementary math like addition, multiplication, and that 0 ≠ 1.

I mean, I assume you at least know how to add/subtract/multiply/divide. The "Elementary Stuff" is what you would learn in high school: basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These are essential prerequisites for calculus and more complicated subjects. If you really are starting from the beginning, then Khan Academy is a good resource. It is a good idea to become fluent with eg. algebraic manipulation and trigonometry before attempting the bigger subjects.

Thanks! Is there any difference between the editions?
>I mean, I assume you at least know how to add/subtract/multiply/divide
Of course but that's all nothing more.
>Khan Academy is a good resource
I know about it already but I've heard from multiple sources that its not really that good for math.Will still do it though.

Khan Academy is only good for Math imo, but that's only because of his calm, collected voice and the exercises given to the user afterwards.

I've only seen the Physics videos on Khan Academy, but they aren't as good because they don't include exercises (although you could use books)

I suggest Khan because it's pretty much the equivalent of what you would learn in high school math courses. It's at least a good roadmap. Really, use whatever resources you prefer. You can't really go wrong at the "elementary" level.

It always seemed like some fuckwad was just making it up as they went along, and since it just worked everyone went with it. That's actually how i feel about a lot of things.

More like /autism/ because at least downs can pretend to be normal.

Who has a volatile hatred?
I just suck at it.