Employment thread

Engineer Superiority Complex Edition (also known as Standard Edition).

Post your degree, job title and job description. Or, alternatively, what you are currently studying and how you are planning/aiming to be employed after you graduate. Complaining about how your job isn't what you imagined being employed in your chosen field to be like is optional.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

No one has asked for any advice so far lad :^)

It's a discussion.

do you see any science or math in this thread?

I have a choice between applied math and comp sci. Which one is better?

>CompSci
It's a more marketable degree than Applied Math, but separate from the pack by studying Math heavily.
Then you can either go to academia or the industry.

>fact.png
t. not actually a NEET but would trade enggy job in a second to be a life long neet

Major: Physics

Job: Antenna Engineer.

Description: R&D on antennas/arrays

>putting software "engineer" over computer science (which is grouped with IT/programming)
Ok lol

Degree: Nuclear Engineering
Job Title: Physicist
Job Description: I support the development and production of brachytherapy "seeds", calibrate radiation detection equipment, determine seed activities, send samples to NIST for WAFAC calibration, etc.

im transferring out of cc to a EE major; can I ask why it's #1? like what's so much better about it than mechE? or was the person that made this chart just an EE major?

damn that's dank
too bad there's only two schools that offer nukeE on the entire west coast. one is out of state, which I got accepted to but can't afford the tuition, and the other is berkeley which I'll never get into. im jealous

EEs love to self congratulate themselves on how amazing they are. In reality an EE degree lets you be a cubicle monkey doing incredibly dry work for the rest of your life.

damn rip, that probably won't make me change my mind, but can I ask what you are?

Physicist, I do R&D on optical systems in the private sector.

I actually got an offer to join Lockheed's compact fusion R&D team but they reneged on the offer citing "restructuring."
That was like my dream job too, got into nuke to work with fusion.
RIP in piece dreams

I assume you have a PhD in engineering?

I have a PhD in Physics

That's cool you got a PhD in physics. What field? Did it take you eight years to get a PhD? I want to get a PhD in physics but I want to know how to prepare for just a feat.

Geophysics is on here twice.

that was fast

Quantum optics. Took me 6 years, which is about average.

If it's something you're seriously interested in, study physics in undergrad. Get top grades, get significant research experience with one of your professors (get published if you can), or get significant work experience through co-ops or internships. That'll set you up very nicely to get into a top PhD program.

I've heard of REU for undergrad research and going to a state school is better because you can do research with your professors. I want to do radio astronomy or something in optics. I do want to work in R&D. Six years is not bad. I know the average age for someone starting their PhD in physics is 29 which is surprising because 50 years ago it was 23. I guess it better to go when you're older. How did you choose quantum optics?

-B.Sc. Biochemistry
-Current PhD student in materials chemistry
-Work on synthesizing and characterizing materials for electrochemical energy storage
-hoping to be employed in the industry.

A lot of people in chemistry are struggling to find jobs right now, but I go to a large research uni in the UC system where there is a lot a lot of connections, and a lot a lot of money. If you are planning on PhDing or grad schooling in general, there are few better than the UCs.

Its not your school. Its the US government. They're not funding science as they used to because they have people like Ted Cruz on their science board. We have total retards running the science department in congress. They want to defund science because it spread the "liberal agenda" of climate change. You all use the same equipment.

>"Dahnald, I have the entire US Science Fundis held in a secret underground location. GIVE. ME. THE. DELEGATES OR ELSE STEMMIES WILL NEVER SEE THOSE FUNDS.

I feel like I've seen you post here before. Anyway myself...
>BSc in Biochemistry/Minor in Biology
>PSM in Materials Science (in progress)
>Planning on PhD in Biomaterials, Tissue Engineering, or Regenerative Medicine

Any advice you can give me fellow Chembro?

Studying biology and planning on a ecology major, although probably going to do human ecology and behaviour or origin of life.
Still undecided, probably going to do both. Maybe astrobiology?

Associate of Applied Science
Construction Engineering

Started working towards a higher degree and stopped because I felt that I was wasting my time.

Current job is the same job I had before getting a degree.
Construction laborer

I started this job almost 20 years ago as a junior high school drop out.
A few years back decided to go to school because I did not want to be climbing ladders and swinging a hammer when I got old.

Spent $35k on a degree that after 2 years of interviews, job fairs, and resume after resume, has led me nowhere.
I am old and still climbing ladders and swinging a hammer.

It's awesome, from junior high school drop out to junior college graduate with a respectable GPA, Deans list, volunteerism, to same shit job.

You got a job offer at Skunkworks? Impressive.

explain

if u ever said the word "mech engy" then ur only good tier

Excluding suicide tier, every job in every tier would rely on one another in order to reach their fullest potential and productivity

For example: You cant have the freedoms an electrical engineer needs like resources and financing without the protection of a military.

doubt you're still here but why not post anyways
I am an aspiring physicist. Not sure which way i want to go with it but i cant go back to school for another year or so, any commendations on books to read or anything else to help me stay in touch with what I know or to expand what I know
I don't like feeling like I'm doing nothing towards my goals

Might as well ask here:

Will it be hard to get into bionics R&D with a CS degree? I'm halfway through and starting to think about what to do my Master's in.

This is what physicists actually believe.
My fucking sides.

I am about to begin my final year towards a B.S. in Cyber Security. So far, it is an enjoyable field that marries critical thinking and creative problem solving with software and computer understanding. Seemingly, it will provide plenty of job prospects in my future. I am also fortunate enough to have not accrued any debt as a result of my education. I notice your tier list places this in Good tier.

Can anyone weigh in on this? What are the qualities of this field that would merit a good rating as opposed to a higher one?

Thank you.

>Veeky Forums at the top
AHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is the worst version of this chart.

Wait a minute, did you work in Florida...

Currently going for B. Eng. in Computer Engineering and a B.S. in Mathematics

Turns out you can't legally practice as an Engineer in new york unless you get your B. Eng. from an ABET accredited school, so I had to transfer after my freshman year.

Currently taking 19 credits per semester and working full time to try to catch up, which is working nicely.

Would like to work at Microsoft post graduation, they scout my school quite a bit.

>employability thread
>unbelievable tier is filled with degrees that it is indeed unbelievable that you could get a job in that field

Nicely done, OP.

>no r9k

Shit chart desu

Stuck between physics and engineering.

I want to open a company that sells some kind of useful product, like spacex. But Im thinking that engineering will give me relevant ideas to develop through college, whereas physics will be completely useless.

?

Comp Eng has been the highest employment rate for B.S. for like the last 10 years

>Veeky Forums
>131 IQ

>major in music engineering minor in music business from berklee (half ride scholarship because I'm okay at guitar)

A-at least I'm doing what I love

All engineers need to leave Veeky Forums and never come back

Mathematics -> investment banking. I made >250k last year. That said, I do work >80 hours/week.

Is unbelievable tier meant positively?

How do you know if a certain program is shit at a Uni? Also is it a bad idea to get bachelors and masters at the same uni?

Check the job growth of CE. It was 0%, barely broke 0%, or was negative the last time I checked. It has been a fact that CE and EE have had stagnating job growth, but everyone and their mothers getting degrees in it, or immigrating from India on a work visa. They are going to end up like CS is going to end up.

>How do you know if a certain program is shit at a Uni?

Compare it to their equivalent from other universities and get some information about what core knowledge you should be getting out of that education.

If your program is lacking some of that then it is shit.

> is it a bad idea to get bachelors and masters at the same uni?

No but you are supposed to move up.

I've almost finished my bachelor in software engineering but I miss working with electronics so I'll start from scratch when I'm done with my bachelor.

Education is """free""" here so it doesn't really matter.

>Education is """free""" here so it doesn't really matter.
Nordic Master Race?

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm finishing up my Bachelor studies in MechE but I'm considering getting another degree in ChemE, mostly because why the fuck not. I don't live in a third world country where I need to indebt myself for life in order to get an education and the overlap between the programs (especially the basic math/physics/chemistry shit) would probably cut the study time by a fair amount.

Nordic yeah.

If you want to work in ChemE then you might as well go for it.
I should have chosen CE from the beginning instead of SE.
So now I'm just gonna do EE afterwards since CE is too much of an overlap for me.
I might as well learn something more now that I'm gonna do it.

Gonna start EE in Germany in September. Should I work in the US afterwards?

God tier hehehehehe
wewy, sounds best of all of them.

Med bdw.

>Engineer Superiority Complex Edition
Reality is that Eng. related to software is a ticket to the slave ships.

Just a reminder that most engineers have shit people skills. If you, as an engineer, can market yourself and can actually talk to people you already start leagues ahead of everyone else. I would rather hire someone who may not be the best but can work with people rather than a shut-in savant.

yeah I usually post in these threads

anyway, if you are doing your masters right now you are pretty much in the same boat as me. I just started my PhD so Ill be taking coursework and doing research at the same time. the only difference is I'll be doing work relevant to my dissertation.

Encouragement is the best I can give you if you have already found your niche. I'm constantly learning from the current grad students at my uni, so if you are in contact with any yourself you should definitely go to them with questions. they know all and most of them more than happy to tell you what you want to know. some of them will be downright depressing. avoid these people. they chose a poor research project and they know it. they will try to drag you down with them. If you are in biomaterials and tissue engineering you are in a good spot. niche job market, but there are people looking for your skills.

does being an electrician help in any way when trying to acquire an electrical engineering degree.

I think previously it would have been correct, used to frequent Veeky Forums quite frequently and I genuinely believe it had some of the best arguments on the site. They've have some very biblical posts, although now with the addition of Veeky Forums I think it's slowed down. A lot of frequent users moved boards, so based on user distribution Veeky Forums is probably best board currently, although Veeky Forums is still shit

econ yus

Economics and Finance with a Maths diploma in Statistics, hoping to become an Actuary.

Major in Finance, Econ, BS or Management? Minor?

I was going for that but just figured I'd do Computer Science and if I like Cyber Security do a masters on that

>going into second year of CS
>thinking about doing CE instead

is it worth it?

I don't really like CS but I might like CE.

if you like hardware and being respected, i would recommend it

My biggest fear is that I'll be in a cubicle my whole life.

I'd really like to do something where I'm at the very least walking around doing stuff.

I've thought about[spoiler] geology but everywhere I look says no jobs and that it requires a masters, and I don't mind a masters but I just want a job.

[/spoiler]

I can only comment about my industry (O&G). Mechies can end up in all sorts of roles from drilling (big money, offshore rotationally or at least often. Requires a certain personality - kinda the chad engineering) to asset integrity (rust engineering...). Elec is a lot of project work - control system upgrades, acceptance testing, distribution in some cases, maybe rotating equipment (gas turbines). Elec is far more limited to move outside of its own area tho. Unless you can convince someone you have learnt about process from instrument work.

>studying
neuro with math minor
>aim
trying to get into a cognition (or similar) graduate program

Okay fags.

I just finished highschool, spent hundreds of hours on math and physics.

What do I do now?

/pol/ should be on top. If you can't into politics, you can't into life.

"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you." --Pericles

What's your opinion on ChemE as someone in O&G?

Good movement outside the field or are ChemE pretty limited? Versatile degree?

Thank you for your time.

You have to look at it from a different perspective. In about 10 years, electric cars will compete with gasoline cars on the same level. This means that more service will be needed and thus more people who know how to do electricity stuff.

>What do I do now?
Get a life.

0/10 b8

Everyone on Veeky Forums knows that /pol/ is a containment board for the mentally handicapped.

Not that buy, but I'm a ChemE.

Currently working for a biotech company doing drug design, but I'm angling to move into a more materials related field.

ChemE is a very versatile degree. You can pretty much angle towards any field you want, depending on where you choose to aim your career.

How was biochem? I'm looking into it as my major but idk how useful/difficult it would be

Ohh wow, that's exactly what I want to get into. Currently third year ChemE, did you just do a BSc or any graduate work?

Hear it's quite tough to get into biotech, are there lots of ChemE's in the field right now?

Thanks for giving me some hope, too many recent grads that have been saying job markets are abysmal. Then again they are all hounding after big oil and process rather than biotech. I'm taking tons of bio electives, any courses you'd recommend that helped you? Taking biochemical engineering, biomedical engineering, biomaterials, biofluids as my electives to supplement the standard ChemE curriculum.