>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: Would you?

I'm going to write a fantasy story that might as well be a Ligotti story in a fantasy setting. I'm going to take this genre beyond GRI, watch me.

Please do, I'm sick of everything being an edgy GRRM derivative.

Has anybody ever done an alien terraforming story before, or no, has the idea not been done before? If not, I think I just brainstormed.

>finish reading Wheel of Time
Is it pretty accurate to say it started out pretty good, got worse and worse, and then Sanderson saved it with the last three volumes?

Xeelee Sequence is pretty neat thus far.

Just finished The Way of Kings

>Sanderson
>Saved

Thoughts on James Blish? I was thinking of reading pic related next, love me some Roger Bacon.

Was it worth it?

Do I know what the master of the deck is?
Do I like Silverfox?
Do I want to find out more about Burn?
Do I care about the people with the bargast guarding the traveling merchant?
Do I want to continue reading?

It was good enough that I'm reading Words of Radiance

You are completely lost.
Sometimes she makes you feel funny, down there.
You want to find out when she'll wake up.
Not yet.
It is no longer a matter of desire. You have fallen victim to the Sunk Cost fallacy.

Thank you

And he sang his song with a blind beast's fury, parting wall from foundation, blowing ceiling into sky, as though the works of man were made of sand.

And when he found them, cowering beneath their Analogies, he sheared through their Wards like a rapist through a cotton shift. He beat them with hammering lights, held their bodies as though they were curious things, the idiot thrashing of an insect between thumb and forefinger...

Seswatha was free and he walked the ways of the present bearing tokens of ancient doom. He would show them the Gnosis.

>6 days until The Great Ordeal

Do you have your mothers bones?

The last book was wank except for sheathe the sword and the last few scenes.

Would you say Bakker is better than Erikson, and why?

>believing the last three books are any good

Erikson actually helped Bakker get his foot in the door. Got a dedication in his book and everything.

Bakker has a bit more tightly knit cast than Erikson, so you get to know the characters better. His prose is arguably better than Erikson. Plus I like the idea of the Consult a lot.

>Bakker has a bit more tightly knit cast than Erikson
Well that has me sold. My biggest problem with Erikson is him introducing many new characters in the last few books who are indistinguishable from some of the older characters, and spending large amounts of time on those side character PoVs.

I might not be remembering this the exact way it was written since it's been a couple of years since I read it, but in The Crippled God near the end with the huge end-of-the-world battle taking place Erikson actually stopped everything dead in its tracks to give us the backstory about a completely insignificant character that lasted for PAGES.

Damn. I'm on Dust of Dreams hoping this all pays off in TCG.

i still can't decide if peter watts is good

You think he is good.

Thats straight up anime tier

I've got problems with his end-all be-all cynicism and occasionally hard to follow prose and flow but Blindsight was at least worth reading, if not genuinely good. Starfish and Echopraxia are a bitch to get through though, I've been start/stop on those for months.

Well there is a pay off, but you'll probably be left with plenty of head scratches like I was.

I really don't remember if it was as abrupt as I'm making it seem, but it must have been because it burned itself into my memory. Just seemed so ridiculous at the time to get the backstory of this very minor character that played no part in the story whatsoever in the middle of this apocalyptic battle.

Bleep is one of my all-time favorite short stories, and the Seeding Program stories are pretty great too. Then there was one... Fugue? I think? Really enjoyed it too.

She slept for a little over an hour and awoke refreshed. Angel was sleeping soundlessly beside her. In the faint light of pre-dawn his ugliness was softened, and she tried to picture him as he had been all those years ago when he had brought her the dress. It was almost impossible. Her arm was draped across his chest and she slowly drew it back, feeling the softness of his skin and the contrasting ridges of hard muscle across his belly. He did not wake, and Miriel felt a powerful awareness of her own nakedness. Her hand slid down, the tips of her fingers brushing over the pelt of tightly curled hair below his navel. He stirred. She halted all movement, aware now of her increased heartbeat. Fear touched her, but it was a delicious fear. There had been village boys who had filled her with longing, left her dreaming of forbidden trysts. But never had she felt like this, the onset of fear synchronised to her passion. Never had she been so aware of her desires. Her needs. His breathing deepened again. Her hand slid down, fingers caressing him, circling him, feeling him quicken and swell.

This prose is turgider than Harold Bloom. Let's give it the Hemingway treatment.

>she put a hand on his dick.

There. Clean and to the point.

>tips Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

What book? Kinda sounds familiar.

B v Larson, Neal Asher.

What books other than the wait ordel is being released this year? Are we getting Dresden Files? More Sanderson? Some more gri?

>What book? Kinda sounds familiar.
Waylander II

Nope can't say I read it.

What happened to KJ Parker?
>was looking forward to savages
>can't find it anywhere
>seems to have only come out in hard cover in a limited edition
>was reading two of swords but the wait between chapters was too much for me
>just checked up on that and the next one is due out in december what the fuck
>"invincible sun" trilogy was supposed to come out in feb 2015, not sure if savages or two of swords replaced this or if it just hasn't come out

I think, but am not sure, that Two of Swords is Invincible Sun renamed and tweaked.

He has had three novellas out lately - Last Witness, Devil Itself, Downfall of the Gods.

Savages in print is only with the limited edition, but it has an ebook edition too. It's worth it

Not into eBooks. Ah well, guess I'll miss out on Savages.
>I think, but am not sure, that Two of Swords is Invincible Sun renamed and tweaked.
That's what I also thought from the description of Invincible Sun but I couldn't find that it has been confirmed anywhere.

Looks like you could get Savages for $25 (sans shipping), so consider it. Downfall of the Gods is also available only in limited, but you can get it for $10 straight from the publisher.

That's if you're in the US, of course. Otherwise the shipping will hurt.

> tfw you have 4 copies of Savages

I've played the games and really liked them, the setting was right down my alley - has anyone read the books? Are they any good?

the writer is a massive cuck but the books are alright

>tfw you'll never play an Ace Attorney-like game based on the Baley trilogy

How's the Empire-trilogy when compared to it? I assume that it's less detective-story in style, obviously.

I need some recommendations on what to read after finishing the Revelation Space trilogy. Already read Prefect and Chasm.
the writing isn't amazing, but it's good enough for me, and the big-plot/scientific element are blowing me away.
Sometimes he brushes upon ideas I thought were original and my own, but performs so much better than I could even have.
Where should proceed?

Any Hubbard fans in here?

Aren't you busy making a new Mission Impossible?

Any sword and sorcery featuring a young woman protagonist?

Orphans of Chaos

Maybe

Unless you meant something more like this.

Stop shilling your shit.
You got no answers last thread, you will get none this thread.

How is that shilling? I'm just asking.

what was his fucking problem?

He saw the death of Anglo-America and realised the degeneracy that awaited.

Check

WTF are gods and the ascended in Malazan?

They can just die? Be created?
Or are the gods just people who are powerful and won't die of old age?
They're the ones who can create warrens?

And wtf, Burn can just "start over"?
Is she the one who made that realm in the first place?
Is everyone just living in one warren?

niggers

Ascendants are people who have done something remarkable, so they become immortal and difficult to kill. It's a metaphor for important historical figures eg. Alexander the Great, who have become "immortal" (important in history) because of their deeds.

Gods are ascendants who are worshipped, and their power depends on the number of worshippers they have; again it's like our world. The Greek Gods don't have much influence over the world because they have very few worshippers remaining, whereas the Christian God has a lot of influence.

You aren't meant to understand. Just read the books, Erickson likes to dribble this stuff out over the entire series.

The Culture?

Loved Battlefield Earth as a kid, haven't thought of him since. Oh, Typewriter in the Sky was all right. I see him as a low-end post-Golden Age author on the level of Harry Harrison.

The Great Ordeal ebook fucking where?

never

What was the last time you truly had a lot of fun with a book? What's her name?

Dracula by Stoker

The Great Ordeal

this

I'm currently on this one. I took a lot of time to build up, but it's good.

Thoughts on the Belgariad?

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

Vox Day or NK Jemisin?

That series is so convoluted, it has an intro to an intro and flashbacks in it's flashbacks.

Still pretty fun, but he could have compressed some of the side stories to be honest.

she had diarrhea and shit flinged along the rivers where she drank most water.

I agree, but he's committed to write 10 books and that makes it impossible to not write flashbacks.

I've never had fun reading a book.

>nel gaiman
je...jejejeje...jajajajajaja...JAJAJAJAJAJAJA... HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE!

Heroic Fantasy is pretty much Sword and Sorcery so here you go.

I really like the Belgariad. It's nothing fancy. It was really refreshing to read it and the original Shannara books after reading most of the Malazan books. Some people go on a quest. The end. Perfect.

Blood Mirror probably
Might have been because I was so hyped for it

Neither, they're equal and opposite rubbish

I read Dresden Files and I liked it. Do I have shit tastes?

What's wrong with the Dresden Files? They're fun. Don't gotta think hard.

I dunno, I always just assumed it was Twilight for boys.

I read ASOIAF and it was greatest fantasy I ever read, what is one step up from that?

>I read ASOIAF and it was greatest fantasy I ever read
And there go my sides.

What are your favorite STAND ALONE stories /sffg/?

What the hell is a kill slit?

Those little archer's windows in castles?

What books are you anxiously awaiting sffg?

I really like wizards and magic, and I need an audibook/series to listen to while playing games/grinding. Any suggestions?

As for sf/fantasy, reading through Delany's scifi work. Had several kinds of absolute blasts

>falling for the sanderson meme

>his first proper novel since 2012
>Surrealism Bomb

It's been a long wait but I'm fuggin hype

The race war is coming.

Today, during the last 2 chapters of Robots of Dawn.

I called the twist after the sex scene, but even so, the full revelation left me wondering if the Mule was even human, after knowing about Giskard.

Do I think that Talk the Younger will become very very powerful very soon
Do I think that Icarian had something to do with the Talan Imass warren ripping apart?
Do I want to know?

>trying to read Way of Kings
>bunch of short stories and unrelated characters every chapter
Is it worth reading this shit?

Anyone else think Rift War is the best fantasy series.

Had a good hearty laugh reading this section at lunch during work a few weeks back.

Just finished Flow My Tears... Not sure what I'm going to read next from PKD. Working through most of his stuff.

No, but I did like it.

I just want someone to fuck Mulagesh so I can have fap material.