Veeky Forums approved films and movies

Post some films that you think are must watchs

Anything from Bergman and Tartovsky to Nolan and Scorsese.

Any year.

Any actors.

Any plot, theme, genre, topic, etc.

Just post good films, doesn't matter if mainstream or patrician.

My personal top 10 (no particular order):

Persona
Gone with the Wind
Taxi Driver
The Aviator
The Godfather I
A Clockwork Orange
The Seventh Seal
Full Metal Jacket
Godard's Breathless
A streetcar named Desire

Other urls found in this thread:

listology.com/joachim/list/jonathan-rosenbaum-essential-cinema-2008-and-2016-additions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, I wanna make clear that I post this because maybe some anons from Veeky Forums will have a taste kinda similar to mine and because /tv/ is even more retarded than Veeky Forums

fuck off

Nosferatu.
Suspiria.
Triumph of The Will

ITT: Pretentious kids flex their "great taste" in hope to impress other people.

Yes, I'm sure you all understand what you watch and don't do it because of it's past acclaim and recognition.

Face it, most of you don't even want to watch the films you claim you like. Hell, you probably watched half of it, got bored and did something else.

Sad fucks.

Badlands
Tree of Life

last year at marienbad nigga

Nigga I don't care about who I impress on 4chin. I'm just trying to get conversation and trying to get new films to watch.

What a typical pretentious "i know your all faggots" troll.

thanks

Good choice!

Anything "arthouse" is generally pretty lit. Focus on mise en scene, cinematography and nuance especially.

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

>The Aviator
That's an engineer's movie.

The first time I watched Tarkovsky's 'Mirror', I walked outside afterwards and saw a tree and it was the most surreal experience I can recall.
I can't really explain any more than that.

Seventh Seal, Winter Light, Synecdoche New York, Oslo August 31st, Apocalypse Now, End of Eva, The Wind Rises, Her, The Godfather I and II, The Lobster, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Metropolis (the anime one, not the old one), The Thin Red Line, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, The Iron Giant

I'm sure there are more, but I don't feel like going back through every movie I've watched.

Barry Lyndon
Brief Encounter
Amadeus
Deer Hunter
Match Point
The Elephant Man
La Dolce Vita
Youth
The Prestige
Les enfants du paradis

get a letterboxd account.

Meh, it's too much effort. If a movie doesn't stick in my mind on its own, it's probably not good enough to recommend anyway.

What does this have to do with Veeky Forums? this belongs to /tv/

Just watched Murder on the Orient Express (the 70s one). 10/10 comfy movie, if anyone wants to see a comfy movie.

Agatha Christie said that was one of the few adaptations of her books that was actually well done.

Read

you're me

This is blatantly not literature

i like antonioni, specifically la notte and l'avventura. not that big of fan of l'eclisse. haven't gotten into his later works. wong kar wai makes pretty movies to look at, but i prefer tsai-ming liang. rebels of the neon god ;3. vive l'amour also.

joe swanberg makes some nice movies for modern times too

Shutter Island
Leo should've gotten his Oscar for this one

Terrible tastes, you're not even imbd core anymore, you've reached critical mass of pleb with this list.

Atleast put the matrix on there and admit you're a fucking dirty pleb shit piece who's bragging in the wrong hole.

You already know who it is

I'm probably quite a few other people too, I have pretty entry-level taste. I'm much more into lit and anime than movies.

Army of Shadows
The Parallax View
A Most Violent Year
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Cure (1997)
High and Low
Sorcerer
Chinatown
The Spy who Came in from the Cold

I'm a fan of morally ambiguous crime or spy films featuring flawed, but heroic leads.

>Nolan

>projecting in 2016

007 films (Moore and Connery are my favourites)
Come and See
Ivan's Childhood
The Ascent
Letter Never Sent
The Cranes are Flying
Andrei Rublev
Takashi Ito's short films
Kenneth Anger's short films
Lawrence of Arabia
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Goodfellas
Daisies
Kanał
Just about every film by Yasujirō Ozu
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist

Leaving Las Vegas
Barfly
Any Stephen King movie adaptations
Misery
Barton Fink
Deconstructing Harry
The Squid and The Whale
Dragonheart
Sideways
Adaptation
Swimming Pool
American Splendor
In the Mouth of Madness
Stranger than Fiction
Worlds Greatest Dad
District 9/Chappie/Elysium
Wizard of Oz
Brazil
Casablanca

Arronofsky, Fincher, Coen Brothers,Paul Thomas Anderson.
movies written by charlie kaufmann generally

Don't have a top 10 or anything bot Ikiru is my favorite film. Other various likes-

The General
The Searchers
Ozu's Noriko trilogy
Contempt
Stalker
A Woman Under The Influence
Aguirre: The Wrath Of God
Easy Rider
Man With A Movie Camera
Out Of The Past
Amadeus

In no way a definitive list or anything though. Just some that popped into my head.

Good taste. Huge Ozu fan as well, maybe my favorite director overall (also love Herzog, Keaton & Godard).

I thought Chappie was fucking awful. Didn't care for D9 or Elysium either (hated them, in fact, but Chappie is one of the worst films I've ever seen).

I hate Fincher too but PTA and Coen Brothers are some of the best directors working in hollywood. Not trying to give you a hard time though, props on Barton Fink & Brazil.

This may sound a little weebish, but I watched all of the old Toshiro Mifune (samurai) films on Hulu some time ago and loved them all.

I think my favorite was Samurai Rebellion.

Most of the films on this list are great: listology.com/joachim/list/jonathan-rosenbaum-essential-cinema-2008-and-2016-additions

We only approve films that have been adapted from books and plays.

That should narrow it down for you.

The Counselor

Cosmopolis

I only watch Criterion, anything else is beneath me. Favorite is 12 Angry Men.

>Armageddon

Lol

is the Julius Caesar with Brando any good?

Watching it tonight

Scorsese is not Veeky Forums. Doesn't mean he's "bad" but absolutely not literary-like in any way whatsoever.
A plot "twist" doesn't really count.

I won't even comment on Nolan. If somebody has already chosen him, that person is past the point of no return.

>Anything "arthouse" is generally pretty lit.

Go back to whatever board you came from.

What is it? /mu? /tv/? Whatever it is go back.

The Big Lebowski

It does have a TIME magazine in it.