I'm about halfway through pic related

I'm about halfway through pic related.

Anyone read it? Thoughts?

I just really wanted to read up on ancient Rome, and this was the first thing I found that had good reviews, and I just went with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7QYCTDXq56w
youtube.com/watch?v=GYjnRAFFy4g
youtube.com/watch?v=z7ihNLEDiuM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Letting a feminist teach you about Ancient Rome

Oh fucking kek user.

Well conditioned, you have been.

Caesar turns in his grave.

What are your thoughts on it, OP?

read pic related

and then read The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians

Is she an actual feminst?

So far, I like it. It's a little bit all over the place, but it's alright. I wish she had went over the events in a chronological order.

I'll look into that. Cheers.

If you find Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire too intimidating or big just skip to The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians because it's more modern shorter and that's what some historians recommend.

I notice that it was released in 1776. Is it still relevant?

Read pic related. Don't read gibmemes.

Couldn't get into it desu

just sits on my shelf and reminds me that i'm a failure.

It has some inaccuracies but it's still a very interesting read nonetheless.

Like I said, The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome is more modern and accurate.

she got rekt

youtube.com/watch?v=7QYCTDXq56w

Well, I'll put that in my catalog.

There are other things I want to read, so I will have to choose between this and Gibbon.

I wouldn't expect her to know about immigration. Doesn't really invalidate her book.

Apropo, I'm a Latvian living in England. I don't camp outside.

prove why it's bad aside from your memes faggot

She made a good show about Rome:

youtube.com/watch?v=GYjnRAFFy4g

I was interested in this book too.

>>Letting a feminist teach you about Ancient Rome

Why do you just think that a feminist woman is stupid or unpleasant or intellectually unjust? Women suffered oppression for almost the whole story of humanity, and still suffer a great deal of domestic violence and rape, still receive lower salaries, and still face scorn at work and in academic areas.

Even schooled people often act as if women were inferior, as in this case:

youtube.com/watch?v=z7ihNLEDiuM

So I believe that anyone who sees inequality problems in society and have the courage and energy to try to fix them should be valued for it.

sick bait famalam where'd you get it?

bump for Rome

I've heard it's alright, but it doesn't focus on Rome the Empire enough, and focuses more on Rome the city and the surrounding towns.

Apparently she talks about George Bush and shit as well.

Just read a generic overview of the history (save gibbon memes for later) then read some primary sources with notes, and read more specific works by academics (say you want to know more about Roman Britain, read a book on Roman Britain)

USE OXFORDBIBLIOGRAPHIES

There are tons of engaging books on Rome, you picked the most pop-history one I can think of. Pic related contains the most current research and scholarship, as well as a really good bibliography.

Jesus Christ

+ the bibliographies provided in books published by academic prints

So much easier than forming your own argument.

Please leave this board and go elsewhere, you lack the intelligence to ever make a meaningful contribution.

I dont have access to JSTOR or anything. The college fags here have way less excuse.

>implying you are

reading this atm.

if you cant read a book because its written by a feminist then youre retarded. you dont read one book. its just an interpretation jheeze.

also i havent come across any feminist sentiment so far, or any mildly "leftist" interpretation.

im no even sure she is a feminist

Only "redpilled" autists care about that, the real problem is that this is clearly a popular history written for mass appeal and money. She actually has plenty of scholarly works that are of greater value.

Why wouldn't she be a feminist? She's a 50+ year-old female academic. It would be pretty strange if she weren't a feminist.

how's this better then the gib?

>still suffer a great deal of domestic violence
so do men, except courts don't take woman-on-man violence seriously
>and rape
same as above
>still receive lower salaries
false
>and still face scorn at work and in academic areas
there are plenty of workplaces and academic areas that cater to women over men; look at the kangaroo courts in US universities, or the BBC outright refusing to hire white men for specific positions in pursuit of diversity