I need help using common core to solve 14+___+30=69

I need help using common core to solve 14+___+30=69

Other urls found in this thread:

corestandards.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But how

it just does.

What is this "common core" you speak of? Is that like the "new math" of the 1960s?

Is 69-30-14=25
14+25+30=69

Not correct common core?

This my first time hearing about it. I've been out of school for 7 years, my little sister is being taught common core and it's teaching that math is wrong.

Ah, for this one you have to use the Double Subtract Method. Here:

1) First, check that the Double Subtract Method is applicable.
1a) Are there three terms on the left side? Yes.
1b) Is one of those terms an unknown? Yes.
1c) Is there only one term on the right side? Yes.
2) Subtract the first known term from the left side: 14+___+30-14=69 => ___+30=69
3) Subtract that same term (do you remember what it was?) from the right side: ___+30=69-14 => ___+30=55
4) Now, subtract the second known term from the left side: ___+30-30=55 => ___=55
5) And subtract it from the right side: ___=55-30 => ___=25
6) Double check your work. Plug in your answer into the original equation and make sure the left side equals the right side: 14+25+30=69 => 69=69
7) If you got it right, congratulations! Give yourself a pat on the back. If you didn't, don't worry about it! There is nothing wrong with making a mistake, as long as you're learning. :) You can always try again next time.

I'm just gonna shoot teachers that enforce common core. Thank you for the explanation

Can I just 69-30-14=25
25+14+30=69?

I mean, technically you could, but it's very dangerous to use shortcuts like that. Being clever is bad. You're better off just using the method I described. Don't think too hard about it, okay?

I mean, if that's the way the brainiacs solve it, they must do it to save time so they can go on to achieve other things.

There's literally nothing wrong with teaching math this way other than the fact it's time consuming and extraneous for non brainlets.

So is this the long way of saying to just use algebra?

14 + x + 30 = 69
x + 44 = 69
x = 25

Good thing you aren't a teacher (I hope).

It's existential. It's Socrates and a 4 yr old that keep asking why.

This is like deliberately writing a program as unoptimized as, then compiling without optimizations as well. Throwing in a shitload of asserts and debug information for the hell of it.

What a mess.

Common core isn't one technique, but rather a group of techniques and strategies.

One method would be to start at 14 and count up 30 more, out loud, which gives us 44. Now count up from 44 to 69 and tally how many that takes.

Another way would be to count down by 30 and 14 starting at 69, out loud.

Showing the algebra is much similar for us, but it doesnt exist yet for students learning this topic. And the shortcut it provides takes away the light from shining on the concept rather than arithmetic

At this level of math students are very far from learning algebra. If the concept doesnt make sense the long way, then algebra will be that much harder for them when they get there.

Um, what?

This is an algebra question. It's solution should be taught the algebraic way. Students who do not yet know basic arithmetic should not be learning algebra yet.

Yeah I would like to know what common core is too.

It's a set of standards for education in the US that the federal government is trying to push:

corestandards.org/

Wait a second here... algebra 1 in 8TH GRADE? We learned this in 5th grade, in the US.

There is absolutely no reason a kid's mental faculties can't handle algebra by fifth grade beyond a poor educational framework, or poor environment. Though my environment wasn't too grand, so likely more the former.

The more mechanical aspects of the process they're proposing, at a glance, seems cluttered and with unnecessary metaphorical overhead. It's like they're trying to force compartmentalization.

Bear in mind, it wasn't so long ago there was a serious push to strip down public education such that the common man need not concern himself with lofty matters such as algebra, or geometry. He need only simple arithmetic such that he may count money and pay his taxes.

If someone has the transcripts from that era, I'd appreciate them posting. I've lost them.

More like common cuck amiright?

Heh, I didn't learn anything about algebra until I got into high school, myself. I don't think it's affected me adversely very much, besides the obvious loss of time. But yes, the standards need to be either seriously reworked or completely abolished. Students should be learning these things a lot earlier and they shouldn't be held back for the sake of adhering to the standards so the lackluster students don't fall behind.

>One method would be to start at 14 and count up 30 more, out loud, which gives us 44. Now count up from 44 to 69 and tally how many that takes.
>Another way would be to count down by 30 and 14 starting at 69, out loud.
That sound okay if algebra is introduced afterwards to show it's a generalization of a simple concept.

For what it's worth I mentally dropped out around 14, and dropped out completely at 16. My knowledge of mathematics is still at a 6th grade level with a few tricks hacked into the patchwork here and there.

I'll need to reconcile this eventually. But it's all about the environmental feedback loops in early childhood, and I think I benefited from this.