So should arts be added to STE(A)M or not?

So should arts be added to STE(A)M or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.berkeley.edu/~ehallman/math1B/TaisMethod.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEAM_fields
fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who gives a fuck

we do. our funding will go to arts.

Only if it includes feminist dance therapy to the music of an owl hooting in a wind chime warehouse.

maybe stem will receive more funding because of it

Why are you guys talking about funding like it's some meme bundle?

no one takes this seriously

wtf i always thought the M was for medicine and that maths was just included in science

It would be nice if engenners were atleast a little bit good designers... But if lawyers and politicans ware, it would be maybe possible to come across the street without being harmed by stupidit....

Art is the science of creativity.

>medicine
math.berkeley.edu/~ehallman/math1B/TaisMethod.pdf

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEAM_fields

they try soooooo hard to shill this garbage that they themselves made the wikipedia article for it

hopefully it dies quietly

wikipedia in politics is a FUCKING shithole, absolute gargabe, 0% reliability

No STEM fields are those that are mathematical.

Yes it should be

The word STEM was invented to easily refer to the hard science fields. This would ruin its purpose for no good reason.

Biology should be excluded from STEM, and arts should not be added. In fact it should be changed to SEC: Statistics, Engineering and Computing. Only the applied fields should matter.

The STEM designation isn't meant to suggest that these subjects are better or the only worthwhile studies. It's just the observation that these fields are similar and intersect in ways. Adding something unrelated to that is dumb, and this acronym pretty much covers everything, thus defeating the purpose of having an acronym.

Do you know what science means?

sure. still not going to hire people with art degrees.

kek

Ou my god, it needs better designers at all fields... Technologist doesnt make good aplication and at school you learne to serve...

>Science
>Technology
>Engineering
>Art
>Mathematics
One of these is not like the others.
Also "Arts" is a vague loose term for a wide range of subjects, which is exactly what STEM is as well. Adding the 2 is retarded.

the good reason is that artists would feel like they matter

well put user. it is my guess that you are anti-college? what a well educated point of view.

With someone who double majored in Theatre (teaching) and Computer Science, I have to say that STE(A)M is a retarded idea. The idea that research in science and technology and the search for scientific truths can be combined with human expressionism is a slow, backward way of thinking. Keeping these two ideas separate is not a bad thing, it actually benefits the two subjects from hindering the others processes and advancements.

But I guess that's what you do when you want arts funding.

>theatre and computer science
i didn't think there was a major gayer than engineering, but then you came along

You need science, math and engineering knowledge to develop technology. No paintbrush rewuired.

Yeah, I was pretty dumb back in the day, but I'm doing well for myself now.

Fuck no. Keep your art shit out of my STEM. It clearly doesn’t belong and was only added to make artfags feel important. Guess what? Taking a shitty undergrad art class is not going to make me a better engineer. I took enough art in grade school

mostly joking but seriously that is a very unusual combination, didn't even know it existed as an option

You have to find certain universities that will let you double major outside certain schools. Theatre was mostly something to fill my time and have fun with; so I threw in teaching requirements with it just in case.

This is literally just an excuse for liberal arts majors to say they're as relevant as science.

At this rate, all the fields will be in the STEAMBBQ field

you mean STEAMBBQLGBTA you fucking cishet white male

Oh no, someone doing something in a way someone else wouldn't! Oh NO! Someone call the mathematical purity & curve fitting police!

since you're way, way to stupid to understand something without someone holding your hand:

fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

This is bait right? No institutions actually take this seriously... right?

I'm an engineering grad. Docs don't need to learn math, so they don't. Yes, someone rediscovered integration, haven't you rediscovered a bunch of shit so far? I mean, when I was studying various interdisciplinary stuff I would always end up on something that I would later find out exists already.

This case is kinda cool in a way (if it's not a joke) but it's not very surprising anyway. Why would you mock someone that discovered integration on it's own? He just created another tool for his job and he still doesn't give a fuck about multivariable calculous.

>Why would you mock someone that "discovered" a centuries-old mathematical concept that's taught to literally everyone with a three digit IQ?

you're not an engineering grad. this isn't integration, this is the trapezoidal rule.

the point isn't it's bad to rediscover something elementary, the problem is this was published in a peer reviewed journal (which implies it's new and cool) and cited 75 times (which means it's revolutionary for the field)

it's really fucking surprising that someone would publish such an elementary technique like this and get a shitload of citations before anyone noticed and told them "hey, you learn this in high school". it makes a complete mockery of the field and the quality of "researchers" in it

>rediscovers 400 year old math concept taught in 1st year courses
>gets tons of citations
>there is nothing wrong with this

Definitely not all art, but stuff like graphic design could probably be counted in without much fuss.

You sound like reddit-tier morons that have way more esteem for peer-reviewed publishing.
In any case it was reviewed by doctors as well.

>cited 75 times (which means it's revolutionary for the field)
>which means it's revolutionary for the field
>muh citations
>measuring how "revolutionary" something is with the equivalent of (You)'s

You're completely retarded.
It just means he created a neat tool for other doctors to use, and had he not made that publication, 75 other people would never use this method.

>It just means he created a neat tool for other doctors to use
exactly, that's what's funny, 75 "researchers" thought a high school technique was a new neat tool
seriously tai just fuck off

>implying the trapezoid rule ISN'T a neat tool

addition and subtraction is also a neat tool, that doesn't mean I'm going to publish it

What's your fucking problem dude? Why do you even care that much?

Someone rediscovered the usage of a simple algorithm in the context of his own field.
He provided a simple and comprehensive how-to guide for other researchers to use. They did. It works great.

Why are you so mad? Do you feel useless?

>Rediscovers multiplication
>calls it a simple algorithm in the context of his field
>It works great!

stop posting tai

These "researchers" receive money to do stupid shit like this. That money may be tax payer dollars or your tuition dollars or both.

STEM will be oversaturated and useless within 10 years as thousands of STEM undergrads get put through the grinder of cookie-cutter degree programs that ensure little to no intellectual diversity in the workforce.

The arts is an alternative for many who view university education as necessary for a job, but ultimately also wish to study something that they genuinely enjoy or have passion for - which for them isn't STEM. Unfortunately, society has placed an artificial demand on STEM and has undervalued many other degrees from a strictly capitalistic standpoint.

I think people should study what they want because society benefits from a balance of human knowledge across all fields, instead of placing ourselves in these artificial bubbles of intellectual capital. The pursuit of a higher education is a noble one that has unfortunately been diminished to one of rote necessity thanks to modern society.

tl;dr fuck capitalism, let people study what they want we're all going to die anyway

What the fuck is the point, there's literally no reason to do that.. It's nothing like the others

Might as well just include every major and make a super long ass word

>cookie-cutter degree programs that ensure little to no intellectual diversity in the workforce.
spoken like a true liberal arts major

Actually double-majoring in Physics and Computer Science, but I'll take that as a compliment honestly.

>double-majoring in Physics and Computer Science
>but calling me a liberal arts major is a compliment :^)
yeah, you aren't, enjoy your gender studies program

I take it as a compliment because you criticizing me over my choice of study only proves the point I made earlier. Of course, I'm sure you didn't even bother reading all of it. You yourself fall perfectly into the cookie cutter argument I made desu just by mindlessly resorting to bashing my non-existent liberal arts degree.

funding is a zero sum game. currently arts generally receive much less, we would like to keep it that way.

what

>criticizing my argument proves I'm right
spoken like a true liberal arts major

oh come on fuckface, it is at least a little bit funny. Doctors already get all of the public's respect, they deserve to be taken down a peg or two sometimes

>1st year retards actually believe this shit

talk about delusional. statistics are only saying that the demand for STEM degrees is going to go up, even if you're some donut-puncher cubical engineer..

>engineers

I'm doing engineering. they tell us often that most of what we are supposed to be learning is general problem solving, critical thinking, and a little bit of groupwork organisation and professional ability. Just because everyone has to learn the same stuff does not make everyone equivalent

Pure Mathfag here.

Math should be split off and paired with Art and Logicians (the rest of philosophy can go fuck itself).
>ALM

Those brain damaged cocksuckers can keep STE to themselves. Seriously, you guys are not only retards but you're a cringy fucking sausage fest (and proud). I'm fucking tired of STEM fucks wanting us to join their community efforts only to realize that they're /r9k/, /pol/, /mlp/, and reddit cancer (fucking fedoras and technology, what the fuck).

>Thinking math is a science.
As if we would even share bathrooms with those dimwitted science plebs.

>implying there's anything wrong with /pol/ and /mlp/

this is an a top tier bait like I haven't seen in weeks
thank you, you're an oldfag and a scholar
A+++++++++++++++++++

Actually it's more about communication. The study of different ways of communicating different types of information (ideas, concepts, emotions, etc...). Creativity is part of that, sure but creativity is also involved in all other sorts of problem solving that don't necessarily have anything to do with art.

This is why mathfags often say that mathematics is an art form.

Of course demand will go up. But don't you think that the supply of STEM majors will begin to accelerate to the point of oversaturation? You can't seriously hope to give every STEM major a job at the rate that they graduate.

You're right. But that being said, it makes it harder to stand out when everyone graduating has the "same" knowledge, so to speak.

>Mathematical
>STE
No, those are empirical trash.

>Technologist
That's not a fucking career path. The "technology" part of STEM refers to autistic rejects who end up working IT and sometimes to computer scientists.

>/mlp/
why don't you go back there?

They are 100% retarded cancer and should just be merged with /trash/.

but somethings have more utility than others user, people who design buildings are more useful than people who analyse genders

>Autists roam 4chins!
>More news at 11!
What did you expect m8. In every thread there's at least one guy who gets buttblasted for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I think its easy to interconnect deviant art like portal with steam from technical point of perspective. Then steam would even contain art tools so it would be easy to obtain them, and easy to obtain basic tutorials to understang knowladge of them.

>biology should be excluded
>only the applied fields should matter

All my implying
Dank b8 m8

We have to put a stop to this shit before it gathers any steam

Pun intended

kek

Same exactly logic where "Undocumented American" comes from.

I'm a super smart scientist because I believe I am, because I say I am. Bullshit.

Until arts majors can solve triple integrals they can suck on eachothers cocks down in the gutter.

brainlet biologist detected

that isnt a good reason, they dont matter, why would we want to make them feel like they do

Is STEM actually a real, concrete thing? I thought it was simply a way to call a group of related fields.

SHEM > *

Science, History, Engineering, and Math

>the good reason is that artists would feel like they matter
>feel

Well there is your problem. Feelings should take a back seat to logic when trying to work to grasp an objectively correct understanding of our physical world.

That is the difference between the art/humanities and STEM. The former is subjective while the latter is objective. Not to imply that these two fields don't overlap in some places at the very least occasionally, but they are not similar enough because one is strictly practical. If you believe artists should feel like they matter that is admirable. I feel like they should also. But don't try to achieve it by making it out to be something it simply is not.

Science, History, Arts, Math, and Engineering

This can't be real. It's just too stupid.

> I thought it was simply a way to call a group of related fields.
that's the way i always use the acronym

Oh I see you misstyped ST-(((LGBTQ))-EAM. I almost thought you were discriminating against me for a second goyim! :^)

Just have 3 fields:
PS:Chem, Phys,Bio
AS:Engineering,Medicine
SS:Maths
ASS:Statistics
Pure Science
Applied Science
Supporting Science
Applied Supporting Science

Science, History, Arts, Math

>SCAM

>history
loooool, go back to Veeky Forums you fucking retard. No one capable of critical thinking finds you intelligent or interesting.

>SS

I agree with this guy

>Mathematics
>Empirical
Swing and a miss.

On the plus side, at least the esoteric sides of Math require you to state your axioms and the product of subsequent logic isn't subjective to taste.

Science/Engineering is an art too if done properly. It has a certain beauty to it.
It's just a different kind of art compared to what most people mean under art.

No, but we should remove math too

Why does everyone think art is inherently subjective?

Anyone else think STEM is bullshit? What the Fuck kind of degree is TECHNOLOGY?

CS, EE, IE, etc.