Dental Health

Hey guys, my teeth are pretty fucked(not meth head level, but far from perfect). You guys are arguably the most versed in little-known science so I decided this would be the best place for this thread.

Scientifically speaking what is the best way to encourage regeneration of teeth, and is there an alternative to just sucking it up and going to the dentist that can be considered better?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesun.co.uk/living/1542900/does-flossing-your-teeth-work-new-research-shows-it-could-be-a-total-waste-of-time/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

over throwing this thread

What the fuck is the point of a root canal? It just leaves a tooth dead in your mouth.

don't eat sugar

Idk about regeneration but brushing with MMS (on-site generation of chlorine dioxide [Cl02] through mixing sodium chlorite and citric acid) works bretty gud.

Basically, your teeth are fucked, so start saving up for replacements now, and in the mean time floss and take care of your gums because the implants need good gum health to thrive.

Your teeth are temporary, so just enjoy them while you got em.

You cannot regenerate your teeth. You can only hope to preserve them. Avoid sugar. Floss daily and rinse with mouth wash that's not alcohol based.

This is most of what I don't understand, normal bones regenerate over time. Teeth are bones, what exactly about them makes them unable to heal?
Also as of now I plan to visit a dentist within a few weeks. My teeth aren't quite at replacement level yet lol, just a good bit of drilling and filling.

Sorry for doublepost but I feel like I should respond to these dudes too. To my understanding a root canal is performed so that the rot doesn't spread any further than it has by that point, and gives the tooth longer to exist in your mouth rather than making you a gummer.

No you can't regenerate them but you can slow the current decay.

1) Brush your teeth twice a day for a minimum of 2 minutes focusing on the gums.

2) Floss once every single day

3) Get child's fluoride mouthwash, about twice as strong as the adult stuff, and use as directed once a day.

4) Get your bitchass to a dentist.

Lel, thanks for the suggestions. Any particular brand of mouthwash? Also as I said above my bitch ass will be getting to a dentist ASAP

You're mistaken when you say that teeth are bones. They aren't. They're teeth. They have a different architecture and biophysical support system. They don't grow one they've formed fully.

Teeth are not bones, numbnuts

I actually googled it in the interim and you are both right. As you can see I'm not super educated on teeth, if I were I wouldn't have started the thread.

Neither am I. I'm just a neuroscientist, but I have the common sense to figure that teeth are not bones. Maybe try using Google in advance next time.

Fluoride mouthwash will give you fluorosis. Not only that, it's a rat poison, acts as a sedative and will calcify your pineal gland.

Yes, use it

Not common sense. When you see a human skull and it's got teeth attached, it's easy to think so. Don't be a faggot.

"Fluorosis is a cosmetic condition that affects the teeth. It’s caused by overexposure to fluoride during the first eight years of life. This is the time when most permanent teeth are being formed."

"Fluorosis Causes
A major cause of fluorosis is the inappropriate use of fluoride-containing dental products such as toothpaste and mouth rinses. Sometimes, children enjoy the taste of fluoridated toothpaste so much that they swallow it instead of spitting it out."
I doubt he is under 8 years old. And of course you dont swallow it dipshit...

Rinsing with flouride has nothing to do with fluorosis.

Keep believing that. You'd have to be pretty silly to use it over alternatives like baking soda or hydrogen peroxide mouthwash.

I am more inclined to trust, wiki, webmd, the cdc and the american dental association than you.

so, all unbiased, non-bureaucratic sources?

our panels didn't conclude that the main ingredient in rat poison is harmful, drink up!

Most celebrities have mouths full of implants and crowns.

Just save some money and slowly fix your teeth.

I recently had a root canal, crown, and filling and it totaled around 3000.

Oh god and there is chlorine in our table salt!

And cyanide in our apple cores!

Run for the hills..

Turns out flossing is just a meme.
thesun.co.uk/living/1542900/does-flossing-your-teeth-work-new-research-shows-it-could-be-a-total-waste-of-time/

You can (currently) NOT regenerate teeth but you can prevent losing them.

Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft toothbrush or electric one. Use a toothpaste with fluoride. Stannous fluoride is more effective than sodium fluoride so try to find a toothpaste containing it. Do not apply too much force as this can harm the gums. Mouthwash is not necessary, just avoid rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth since it removes the toothpaste and thus the protective fluoride.

What you eat and how you eat play an important role in dental health. Less sugar means less food for the bacteria in your mouth. Take 2-3 hours between each meal so your teeth have time for remineralization. If you consume something high in sugar, it is best to do so quickly (i.e. do not sip on soda for hours). End your meal with a glass of water, something with a high pH (e.g. cheese, milk) or even better take a piece of chewing gums with fluroide and chew it for at least 20 minutes.

Now, something many people do wrong is drink fruit juice in the morning and then brush their teeth immediately afterwards. DO NOT DO THIS. The acid will dissolve the enamel and the brushing will slowly remove it. Wait 30 minutes between eating and brushing your teeth.

Even if you currently have no dental problems please DO make an appointment at the dentist regularly. I think the general recommendation is twice a year but I personally think once a year is enough unless you currently have problems with your teeth or gums. Dental disease can take years before they become a problem and as you age you become more prone to dental problems so even if your teeth are fine at 25 the situation might be completely different the next year due to age, changed lifestyle, different diet etc.