If cell A divides into daughter cells B & C, would that mean cell A has died?

If cell A divides into daughter cells B & C, would that mean cell A has died?

It has merely changed form

Serious question:

Why does the answer to this question matter?

you could see it like

A -> B
(and C is a byproduct of this transformation)

1 becomes 2...etc...eventually becoming one again as an organism, then 1 with a 2nd and so on, leading to one population, eventually becoming the global population size.

It means that cell A is immortal. You and I are both the same organism that first arose several billion years ago

serious question:

Why does the answer to the question ''
Why does the answer to this question matter?'' matter?

No, the sperm and egg method of conception creates brand new cells. We all arent clones.

If nothing can be created or destroyed..., how can one cell turn into more cells?

abiogenesis and life tho

Stop it.

kys

;)

If you don't count for mutations, the original DNA of cell A is still intact in both cells. Cells B and C are basically 2 cell A's.

This.

You could also easily just say nothing has happened to A and cell B just budded off of it. The labels are arbitrary.

WELL PLAYED
E
L
L

P
L
A
Y
E
D

serious question:

Why does the answer to the question ''Why does the answer to this question ''Why does the answer to this question matter?'' matter?'' matter?

Yes.

But if cell A divides into daughter cells A & B, that means cell A is still alive.

We must also consider the case in which cell A divides into daughter cells which are each in a quantum superposition between A, B, and C until observed.

This is a rich field of study in cellular biology.

it gets really fat and cuts itself in half, seemed to work great for your mom

because i said so, now go to your room, no dessert

I don't believe that these are serious questions.

It depends on the chromosome distribution of the daughter cells.

Daughter cells inherit the originial and the copied chromosomes at random (during mitosis).

But there certainly will be times where one daughter cell inherits all of the "original" chromosomes and the other inherits the copies. In this case I would argue that cell A lives on as cell B, while budding off cell C.

#cellslivesmatter

Serious questions are social constructs

If I cut a human in half, would that original human have died?

If I cut a sponge in half, would that original sponge have died?

Cell A still exists, its just not discernible from the two cells formed by mitosis.