How do you deal with the fact that you are of average intelligence (in western world standards)?

How do you deal with the fact that you are of average intelligence (in western world standards)?

If you're able to write a coherent sentence you're above average.

i loathe my existence every day

Well the average of Veeky Forums is skewed towards 110 if not 120 if we're going by IQ, but at the same time a lot of us are held back by pessimism and self loathing.

I think a better question would be, knowing that you aren't going to just fart your way into the literary limelight or crush puss straight to tenure, what are you going to dedicate your life to while being capable of more than the average human. Western humans included now.

>the average of Veeky Forums is skewed towards 110 if not 120
Sure it is.

I belive I am more intelligent than most people.
Honestly, going to school made me an egoist.
All the praise I got,for a miniscule ammount of effort.
"you probably spent hours preparing"
"user worked really hard"
"best of the class"

Intelligence is such a random concept

I drink.

Also, this.

I don't care.

Intelligence is only as good as you use it.

All of you "user would be smart if he applied himself" fags can join the rest in the dungheap

It really holds me back in studying mathematics, but I just invest more time to deal with it.

you can just have this mystical idea of an intangible intelligence that will manifest itself eventually. that's how i feel sometimes: i'm the chosen one, my sensitivities are incredible, my intelect will someday fluorish; my weirdness means i'm intelligent. I just live my life on unfounded claims pretending they're going to be verified someday or that they are unverifiable, but not by virtue of their falsehood, just their abstractness. And abstractness is not a term i've even given thought to, so it's also this mysterious unfalsifiable spiritual meaning located nowhere.

Is it, though? People say that there are several kinds of intelligence but in the end nothing really comes close to

Ability to perceive information, and retain it as knowledge to be applied towards adaptive behaviors within an environment (wiki).

Maybe creativity, but then you need a near-genius level of it for it to have any significant impact on your life/work.

i use it as an opportunity to meditate on the connection between me and the rest of the world.
and hopefully use my average intelligence to bond and be more empathetic towards my fellow man.

I have come to terms with being normal and average.

The world needs plenty of dishwashers or electricians and garbage disposal workers.

98th percentile.
Honestly rather be self-motivating or eudaemonic than intelligent.

According to whom? If it's standardized tests (which I'm willing to bet it is) then I'm not sure how reliable of an indication of intelligence they are. Also, fuck yeah, I think anyone would rather be happy and motivated than smart and aimless.

By remembering that if the brightest of men were only as bright as I am, the world would be a dull place.

Actually if I were to hazard a guess, I would say I'm in the top 2% of the population as far as intelligence goes. The only people I've ever met more intelligent than myself are professors. I realize how conceited this sounds, but it's my honest self-estimation

>I think anyone would rather be happy and motivated than smart and aimless.
Think again.

99.9968313965 percentile.
I felt that way in the past, but as I've gotten older I've realized that I would rather wrestle with the burden of intelligence in the hopes that I might one day be great than live a life where I would never have a concept of greatness beyond my average life.

Bottom line - I would rather die knowing that I wasn't successful in transcending my concept of humanity than to never have had an idea of transcendence at all.

>Well the average of Veeky Forums is skewed towards 110 if not 120 if we're going by IQ
citation, proof, explanation, even anecdotal evidence? do you have anything to support this whatsoever?

>but at the same time a lot of us are held back by pessimism and self loathing
mabybe not /r9k/ or even Veeky Forums. most people on Veeky Forums are normies though (or only very slightly non-normie)

honestly im so glad i wasnt a prodigy, that level of expectation would kill me, the knowledge that you peaked at 14...
did you fulfil their expectations?

if you mean calc, linear algerbra and stuff, maybe try different fields of mathematics.

>did you fulfil their expectations?
nope.

But how smart are you, really? If you're not a literal genius I don't believe there is a significant degree of difference between you and the average person.

ive been thinking. the difference in intelligence between the greatest minds of history, and the dullest minds of non-retards (medically-speaking) must be at least as great as between those dullest minds and the greatest minds of the apes.
consider: mozart at 5 supassed those dullest minds at their peak, yet the smartest apes at their peak often surpass the dullest 5 year olds.

consider the peak intellectual achievements of the smartest mind, and the peak intellectual achievements of the dullard.

would you not be more surprised if the dullard achieved the achievements of the sharpest minds, than if the smartest ape achieved the achievements of the dullard?

apart from language (and even that may be contested) there is little that the dullest mind can do that the ape cannot. yet how much more can those of the highest minds achieve than the dullard!

im not saying that dullards are no smarter than apes, but merely that they are closer to apes intellectually than the greatest minds. perhaps even i am closer to an ape than those of the greatest minds.

nor am i saying that there is no difference between humans and apes, merely that the difference cannot be solely intelligence.

What makes you think that? Also, what do you study or work with? What are your life goals?

Same

That's right, Montaigne

That was me. I know what it feels like to disappoint every person I've ever met. I envy my friends who can't comprehend past what's right in front of them.

Why did you fail? And I'm guessing you're in your early twenties, so, assuming that you do want to achieve something, what makes you think that it's too late now ?

>he didn't work hard in school
>he was "smart but lazy"

>medically-speaking
>consider:
>yet
>dullard!
>saying (when you're writing)
>nor
>merely

Never EVER change, Veeky Forums.

I firmly believe that anyone who condemns their intelligence is angry because they're smart enough to look down on the average person, but not smart enough to put their intelligence toward anything noteworthy.

what the fuck these are normal words you pseud.
unless youre american you have no excuse for being so insecure.

>yet
what??

Stop thinking of intelligence as a virtue in itself. Simple, really.

ive havent read him yet. where does he write about this? i wouldnt of thought they had koko the monkey back then. did they know there were smart apes?

Who cares about intelligence when there's intellectualism?

>Be my dad
>Get son formally IQ tested at six
>Your son has an IQ of 159
>He is very gifted
>Must mean when he fails at something he wasn't trying hard enough
>I guess I'll just hit him until he tries harder

My "Smarts" evaporated overnight and I grew into an antisocial recluse with a slew of mental disorders.

At least I still like books.

What are you talking about? I'm one of the smartest people in the world.

159? I feel like this is pretty questionable because many IQ tests cap off at 160 and as it gets higher the numerical values aren't as differentiated.

Also, an IQ test at 6 isn't necessarily indicative of your intelligence now.

I'll be the first to say it: liar liar pants on fire :^)

If I hold my breath.

I miss the times when people used to apply their knowledge in silence for the greater good instead of shitposting all day

By engaging in glorious self destruction

I'm in the same boat, constant praise from the teachers, even though I hated school and did as little as possible.
In (German) middle school, the math teacher always brought me math problems from 4th grade when I was still in first grade.
I was the first to be able to read fluently and started reading even more dificult books (for a child) in second grade.
My English was always exceptionally good for a German.
I didn't even become lazy, just, not interested in school.
In Highschool, I read in class, didn't study, always copied homework and assignments and still ended up on top of the class.
People always tell me that I could've become a great scientist or doctor but I really enjoy the semi NEET lifestyle I have now.

Maybe it's just that I used logic.
And interacted rather well with people.
I could sorta "calculate" social situations in my head.
And my brain is like a sponge.
I only need to read something maybe twice.(when I hear something stupid,I can recall it years later and that makes me rather angry)
I consider myself the norm,even though my psychiatrist told me I had exceptional abilities.

What is 'intelligence' and why do you care about it?

Make no difference. I bet Hitler was averager.

An escape into literature and a bottle of rum.

This guy is claiming a higher IQ than
I've tested higher at an older age with professionally administered tests. Though any of these anons, including me and the ones claiming lower scores, could be lying because internets and 4chins.

Unlike and I don't really want to be great at anything and never really had much ambition, especially to be well known, but, like beaten on by dad user, I am an antisocial recluse with mental disorders and like books.

IQ tests seem kind of dumb to me because the majority of what they test is just how fast you put together the order of the story, or transcribe a code, or assemble boxes, so I don't understand why people use them to brag to anyone who knows what an IQ test is like.

Unless you want to prove you're really fast at transcribing, or putting together puzzles, et cetera, bragging about having a high score only means something good socially because you're bragging to people who don't know the test means.

It's convincing someone you're "smart" by doing the equivalent of bragging "I did a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle in about two hours".
Yes, that's impressive if you're into speed puzzles, by a small margin, but most people would just think you're probably too into jigsaw puzzles if you used that phrasing and they wouldn't think you're going to cure cancer or the other bullshit people think "high IQ" implies.

I have a 160 IQ but I don't really believe in IQ tests, just b urself

I have reduced my social circle to the point where I am both the smartest and stupidest person I know.

By knowing you're literally smarter than hundreds of millions of subhuman (in terms of intelligence) africans

What is intelligence, even? Seems like a concept that is very hard to define. Some talk of multiple intelligences (Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Visual-Spatial, Verbal-Linguistic, Logical-mathematical and so on) but then doesn't intelligence just become a form of competency?

And if you define intelligence as ''Ability to perceive information, and retain it as knowledge to be applied towards adaptive behaviors within an environment (wiki).'' then are there not a lot of things that are not normally considered ''intelligent'', but that would be under this definition?

LMAO

By realizing that average intelligence is sufficient to have a fulfilling and intellectually enriched life

im not
im below average

LMAO

A lot of Veeky Forums boards are filled with exceptionally stupid people. This isn't 2006, most men between 16 and 22 have some opinion on this place.

Probably suicide eventually.

an insane amount of denial, tricks, repositioning what is important, redefining intelligence, not trying and failing at anything, becoming an expert in obscure post-marxist stuff no one can challenge me on, not valuing what the 'smart' people i know actually spend their lives doing, also qts transcend intelligence and matter a lot more.

mostly if you put someone else down, then hey, all of a sudden you're a bit higher, it feels good :-)

Based on national scholarship exams, I was 1/400 roughly. Clearly a lot of of smart people not doing them and a lot of people who are only good at single subjects, but seems consistent with the fact that I could be the smartest person in a school, but easily have peers in my district.

I've worked hard, felt like an imposter and generally felt like shit. Most days I would've preferred to be be a dullard.

I've been an avid reader since I was 6, so as a child I was exceptionally well spoken for my age (English is not my native language btw) and had accumulated knowledge on a variety of subjects; my classmates thought of me as some kind of genius and of course I believed I was hot shit. When I was about 13 I got tested (nervous af, I recall trembling through the whole thing and even the psychologist pointed it out), about 130 in verbal scale, almost retarded in the other one, 104 overall. For HS we choose orientations, I got meme'd hard and went STEM, struggled with math all the way and now that I'm finishing I won't be able to study the things I'm actually good at because of that shitty choice system.

but basically I've been doing the same as this guy,

I wonder what it feels like to be surrounded by functional beasts of burden that look exactly like you.
>BASED CHINESE MAN

by getting constantly humbled by people way smarter than i am. i don't put myself on a pedestal and don't think that i'm that exceptionally talented. doing my phd in philosophy right now which is sure-fire Smart People Stuff but you're basically spending your day reading shit from writers infinitely more creative and intelligent than you will ever be. a nice reminder not to be a conceited douche bag.

Too true

Crying over something I cannot control is just a waste of time, not to mention being smart doesn't automatically make you a better person

>"intelligence"

To me there is only two tiers of intelligence: retarded and not retarded

Training is what is important.

Guess i need to train my english more.