What is 2 + 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence_(abstract_rewriting)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

το μουνί της μάνας σου.

An expression

1+1 + 1+1

[math]
\text{ }^{\color{#571da2}{\displaystyle\text{W}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{\color{#462eb9}{\displaystyle\text{h}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#3f47c8}{\displaystyle\text{y}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#3f62cf}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#437ccc}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#4b90bf}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#56a0ae}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#62ab99}{\displaystyle\text{t}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#71b484}{\displaystyle\text{h}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#82ba70}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#96bc5f}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#a9bd52}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#bcbb48}{\displaystyle\text{o}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#ceb541}{\displaystyle\text{n}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#dcab3c}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e39938}{\displaystyle\text{/}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e68033}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e3632d}{\displaystyle\text{c}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{\color{#de4227}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}\text{ }^{\color{#da2121}{\displaystyle\text{/}}}
[/math]

That is a very interesting question. In Wildberger's latest video he discusses how we don't actually have a solid theory that links our numbers with the expressions we can construct from those numbers.

For example, we may be able to say 2+2=4 but what are we really saying? That in any context we can replace 4 with 2+2 and that will be fine?

Is this correct? Do we have a solid theory that justifies this to be true for every possible expression? Is there any proof that shows that with all the known operators, there exists one and only one number that can be said to be equal to any expression no matter how complex or long or even ridiculous?

Honestly, we don't know. We don't have that theory and we may not have it for hundreds of years. Knowing that, is it then even fair to say 2+2=4?

No, it isn't. If we don't know the limits of our system then is it logical to assume that even something as simple as 2+2 does not break those unknown limits? It isn't because we don't know.

We may be able to conjecture that 2+2=4 is a trivial equality and that no limits are being broken but we can't prove it because we do not know the limit of our expressions. Where can we go? Where does it end? We don't know.

We don't know.

Your mom

εισαι ο πρωτος ελληνας που βρηkα σ'αυτο το board

Whether of not expressions in a system reduce to a particular normal form is well studied

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence_(abstract_rewriting)

Χωρίς σημαίες είναι kαι δύσkολο να kαταλάβεις με ποιον μιλάς. Και εγώ δεν νομίζω να έχω πετύχει kάποιον άλλον εδώ.

>In computer science, confluence is a property of rewriting systems, describing which terms in such a system can be rewritten in more than one way, to yield the same result.

That sentence is assuming that a result even exists. Wildberger claims that this is not always the case and this is indeed not the case under his system.

[math] \int_0^1 [/math] Χωρίς σημαίες είναι kαι δύσkολο να kαταλάβεις με ποιον μιλάς. Και εγώ δεν νομίζω να έχω πετύχει kάποιον άλλον εδώ [math] \ { \mathrm d } ρ [/math] = Χωίς σημαίες είναι kαι δύσkολο να kαταλάβεις με ποιον μιλάς. Και εγώ δεν νομίζω να έχω πετύχει kάποιον άλλον εδώ

Thirty?

Can you please stop speaking caveman? I myself also speak a brand of caveman like hola me cojo a tu mama but I am living the 21st century so I speak in the tongue of the modern man known as english. Please do the same, degenerates.

Oh, you mean in the sense that N might be a number with low (Kolmogorov) complexity and f(N) might not be reducible to a standard numeral because it breaches his range of numbers you can write down?
Interesting thought. Sort of makes his framework a lot more complicated, though.

Replying to myself here.

Japanese is also an appropiate tongue. Please speak english or japanese or GET THE FUCK OUT.

阿保

Exactly. If there exists some relation between expressions and numbers then it has limits. So you cannot just casually say that 2+2=4 because Wildberger wants to create a system where expressions are completely separate from numbers but have this relation between them. This, obviously, to avoid the issues he claims that the 'real number cultists' have so easily ignored for the past couple hundreds of years.

there's no such thing as 2
or
2 + 2 = 11
or
2 + 2 = 10
>radical isn't it

*times two

You must be fun while shopping

>shopping

L O N D O N
O
N