László Krasznahorkai

Has anyone here read anything by him? Is it worth reading?

he's my favorite author

how is War and War?

I might pick up one of his books.
in original language
because I can

Sátántangó and Melancholy of Resistance are both very good.

I've also read The World Goes On by him, which was okay. It also had the most realistic description of being blackout drunk I've ever read in any book.

which one are you gonna pick up you austro-hungarian

The one I come across the first.

for those who have read both, would you recommend starting with Melancholy of Resistance or War and War?

Yes if you enjoy sentences that never fucking end

he and his name are like alternate reality zizek

I've read Seiobo There Below and it was great, would recommend definitely

buh look at this dude

looks like the most brilliant mind of contemporary literature

On the topic of slav literature, how's Milorad Pavić?

he's really fucking good
of what i've read (in english)
>war & war > satantango > seiobo there below > the melancholy of resistance
but actually it's all really good. he's one of those guys who has such a unique instantly identifiable voice that is preserved throughout his maturing style, and is genuinely compelling and worth reading in everything he touches (that i've read so far (in translation))

>Has anyone here read anything by him?
Yes
>Is it worth reading?
No
polite sage

Found out about him through Tarr, read Sátántangó, fucking loved it. Still think the film is superior tho

really melancholy that low?

Haven't read any of his books yet but I always assumed it would be melancholy >= satantango > war & war > seiobo

Dictionary of the Khazars is an interesting but difficult read. It consists entirely of encyclopedia entries that themselves tell an overarching story, which even upon finishing the book, I don't think I completely grasped.

he looks like a Bond villain, so does Zizek

bojler eladó

With my albeit shitty command of Serbian quite a lot of his stuff doesn't always translate so well. Or isn't translated so well.

The translation of 'Khazars' is atrocious. I haven't read it in Serbian, but I refuse to believe that Pavic's prose generated such a dry and stilted effect in its native tongue. The same goes for Ivo Andric's Bridge on the Drina, which most consider to be the work that got him the Nobel. After fifty-something pages, I dropped it because I could feel that some fundamental aspect of the book's magic was lost in translation, and I wasn't prepared to waste even more of my time on this unskilled imitation. Eventually I'll come back to it in Serbian, probably with the aid of a dictionary.