Why are American teachers so dumb?

Why are American teachers so dumb?
Not only do statistics support this, but the protocol for answering questions basically follows this line of thought:
>"Well... I don't know. Maybe..."

and then conjecture that starts of humble is then manically pushed forward as the most probable reason, and then the only possible solution, always, and I mean always using logical fallacies to discount other possibilities and further their own theory.

How is it that teachers in America are completely oblivious to reasoning, science, fallacies, etc?

>user, what started this off
Roommates GF is teacher and I can't stand her.

Pic not related

Other urls found in this thread:

criticalthinking.org/pages/critical-thinking-testing-and-assessment/594
teachertube.com/
education.iseek.com/
gooru.org/
brighthubeducation.com/homeschool-curriculum-reviews/112529-free-homeschool-biology-options-videos-labs-and-courses/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Foreigner here.

I still can't comprehend why America has the best colleges in the world (HYPSMC), but has one of the shittiest education systems among first-world countries.

Answering your question, from what I've seen from Hollywood it seems likely that a high percentage of American teachers are depressed due to pressures and thus are likely to not support the students in times of need etc.

Canadabro here

I remember in high school, when I wished our teachers would act like yours instead.

Ask them a question they don't know the answer to and they give you bullshit answers instead of just admitting they don't know. I still remember when we were studying planets and stars, and I asked what is the size of the observable universe and the teacher answered

>Uhhh, it should be about 13,7 billion light years, because that's how much time the universe had to expand

Teachers below college level are dumb as fuck.

>user, what's your evidence?

Roommates GF is teacher and I want his dick.

shittiest K-12 education systems among first-world countries*

they buy up the smartest people from around the world. america doesn't even need education till college.

My high school physics teacher used to do a presentation about NASA and swore on her life that the space shuttles had a launch velocity 1/10th the speed of light.

honestly if i ever move to america im homeschooling my children, then send them off to college

certain private schools are good, everything else is toilet tier.

aren't they expensive as fuck tho? i think they have aid but idk how much

it's quite the premium, just move to canada instead. public schools are alright there.

Americans are ponderous. They have an obsession with equivocating what should be clear topics. I bet they wish all books were just a collection of pictures or hieroglyphs. The commuting larceny regarding the future of children.

Schools in wealthy areas are good
Schools in poor areas are shitty

>Degrassi

>move to Finland
>public schools there are Eton quality

gg wp no re

Every teacher I've met uses logical fallacies and cognitive biases like crazy.
There's a great deal of illogical factionalism in academics, the lower tier public schools teacher always use this line of reasoning:
> The authorities are right because they're authorities
> I'm smart because I side with authorities
> Due process and science are just things smart people have to do on the side to convince people their presumptions are always right
Seriously. That is 100% of all american public school teachers 100% of the time.
None of them know dick about science or logic.
Go ahead, ask a teacher about the appeal to authority or popularity fallacies.
They'll look like a deer caught in headlights.

Fun fact: you do not have to pass a critical thinking exam to become a public school teacher in america.

They are government employees, and heavily unionized. This prevents any kind of quality control. It costs 6 figures to fire an incompetent educator in this country. Universities are mostly private and can control the composition of their faculty.

I grew up in one of the wealthiest school districts in America.
All of my teachers, yes all of them, used appeal to authority fallacies.
None of them understood due process. Not one.
I've come to the conclusion they want to look elitist, so they just side with whatever is being reported without actually understanding how analysis actually works.
A teacher's priority in america is to support authority and popular trends, not science, not logic, not skepticism, not critical thinking.
It's about social climbing and only social climbing.
This is why teachers are obsessed with the social aspects of schools more so than the educational worth of schools.

Rant Media CA says otherwise.
That they only focus on obedience and popularity there. That science isn't actually considered relatively important.
Which is probably why Canada isn't known for Science or Technology.

>you do not have to pass a critical thinking exam to become a public school teacher in america.
that's because critical thinking exams are something you just made up

No, I didn't.
>criticalthinking.org/pages/critical-thinking-testing-and-assessment/594
A simple google search would have proved your statement incorrect, but like ALL STUPID PEOPLE, you didn't bother to check.
>hurr durr durr
>presumptions are fact
Kill yourself you anti-science faggot.

>fail at science or other
>become teacher

/endthread

More like
>be smart
>but realize you are not a genius
>instead of wasting everyone's times and resources with a real degree, go directly to teaching

Most of Veeky Forums will achieve less than the average teacher in their lifetimes because they are deluded that they can be the genius (protip: you are not a genius)

>be awful at maths in school
>good with logic and puzzles though so I didn't understand why that didn't translate into numbers with me
>be out of school for 3 years, no college after hs
>develop a passion for math and a desire for a deeper understanding
>pick up concepts with ease from online lectures and resources that were far superior to the 0/10 notebooks i received in grade school
>realize american k12 education is a sham
>going to school for maths in the fall

>low-paying, high-stress job
>a lot more money in finance,
>accounting, marketing, sales
...but no talent, therefore teach.

American education is brainwashing. It isn't about learning. Teachers are taught to make sure students only do x and never y. The teacher is taught how to control students, not teach them. This is why Americans grade on a curve. The only time you get taught something is when the regional tests come around and you are only taught how to take the test, nothing more. This includes being told answers to the test before hand so you can get better test scores. Higher test scores = more money for the school that is used for sports.

I know, because once I realized this I stopped working in school and got straight Fs. As in 0 work and 0 grades. However, I went through 7 grades including all 4 of high school and graduated. Not once did I do any school work or homework. So, long as I didn't make a fuss about anything and did what the teachers asked I was passed every single time.

When I got into college, the same thing happened. I got some grants to pay for it. I only had to attend lectures, most of which I wasn't awake. I again did 0 work and got a 3-year Bachelor of Management for it.

I went from there to working for a company as a manager, where I also did nothing at all and made good money. Now I'm retired and have been shitposting on Veeky Forums all damn day long since 2003.

Teachers can be extremely stupid since they don't need to learn anything to do their job.

American teacher spotted.

Highschool math teacher here.

Students are divided into 3 groups: Pass without help, Inevitable Fails, and borderline

There are people who are gonna fail no matter what I do, and they tend to also disrupt other peoples learning. The people who are already gonna pass are alright, but I can't spend as much time with them since there are the kids who could pass given the time and resources.

A child will ask me a question, I give an answer, then they might attempt to discredit it or postulate their own (without any grounds for it other than to explain their own lack of understanding). Nip em in the bud and tell em to shut up, highschool is for learning what the tax payers want you to, if you want to ask a question atleast make it relevant to the subject and to where the syllabus is going, otherwise you are wasting other peoples time who are already have a problem passing and are now just getting more confused.

>There are people who are gonna fail no matter what I do, and they tend to also disrupt other peoples learning. The people who are already gonna pass are alright, but I can't spend as much time with them since there are the kids who could pass given the time and resources.
>A child will ask me a question, I give an answer, then they might attempt to discredit it or postulate their own (without any grounds for it other than to explain their own lack of understanding). Nip em in the bud and tell em to shut up, highschool is for learning what the tax payers want you to, if you want to ask a question atleast make it relevant to the subject and to where the syllabus is going, otherwise you are wasting other peoples time who are already have a problem passing and are now just getting more confused.
Thanks for summing up what's wrong with education in general.

Trash in the gutter of an equally trash system.
You're gutter trash, in a place where all is really only trash.

The big problem is that in the US teachers aren't paid enough, so the profession will never attract the calibre you want. Teaching isn't very well paid in the UK, not given the actual hours worked and the pressure to constantly perform. But UK teachers don't move to the US to teach, because the pay is poor.

Teaching requires both enthusiastic dedication and expertise. By being cheap, you only get the enthusiastic.

Teaching isn't appreciated as a skill. The public just don't dont seem to think that educating our children is worth serious investment in staff and resources. Everyone moans at teachers and tells them they're not good enough and how they get too many holidays and are paid too much for what little they supposedly do. But none of these moaning fucks would get up in front of classes of 25-30 teenagers five hours a day, every day of the week.

Shit school system thread?
Alright

>I don't know whos idea was it in ancient goat fucking land but lectures in front of 100 students does not fucking work,ever.There is always someone talking coughing,sneaking,correcting the teacher,asking stupid questions,bugging you ect.
>Limiting a lecturer with a time frame of 45-60 minutes causes material to be compressed in order to get through all of it at given frame causes a lot of misinformation due to lack of time
>3h straight sessions are madness especially when 20% of the time is lectures talk about themselves,their colleges or on topics not related to the subject
>talking to students as they are above them when in reality they went through the same steps as them to get where the are
>99% of the time spent on a subject is on theory and this is so wrong I feel bad for me and for everyone else that had to endure shut shit
>Lecturer not having 100% rock solid ground on the subject that he is teaching should be punishable felony.
I can go on

A very quick glance didn't turn up a better thread to post this in, so here goes:

Anyone want to help a teacher out?

I've been roped into teaching a Genetics course at an alternative high school (read: delinquents, teen moms, etc.). This class is out of field for me, and I was given the class only a few days before school starts with nothing, not a syllabus, lesson plans, fucking nothing, left by the person who was supposed to be teaching it (it was going to be her first time teaching it, too, so chance of anything from past years, either). I've found a few resources, and gotten a little help from the only other person in my district teaching the course, but wondering if any of you can point me in the direction of websites with activities, a video series, really anything that will help me keep these bastards occupied for 90 minutes every day while hopefully at least teaching them something about the subject.

*no chance
Obviously

teachertube.com/
education.iseek.com/
gooru.org/
brighthubeducation.com/homeschool-curriculum-reviews/112529-free-homeschool-biology-options-videos-labs-and-courses/

I realize this is not very helpful. Wish I could do more for you, but I know nothing about genetics.

I'm largely going to be making shit up as I go, so anything is appreciated.

Sucks for the kids, especially because these will be some of the few at the school that are actually trying to get their shit together, but I probably am the best person they could get to do this on such short notice (not to sound too full of myself, it really isn't saying much).

Thanks for your input.

Quit your trashy trash-talking,
you trash-for-cash trailer trash.

Pic was totally related dude.
Boxxy knows evurything bout evurything ya dig

This is the edgiest thread on Veeky Forums, but it's funny to see how many backwater, inbred hillbillies with internet degrees populate this board.

Education isn't the sole responsibility of the teacher or the establishment. If you depend on a random person to be 100% infallible you are a fool. Education is a process that takes several differing opinions to refine itself into something of value, unless of course we are talking about very early education such as teaching a child that 1+1=2. Education is something that needs to be met halfway by the students, if a student is not willing to learn, or put in extra work then they have no business insulting a system that expects 1 person to enlighten 30 unruly children over the course of an hour.

If people actually wanted their children to be educated they would take time out their day to try to teach them something personally.

The best and brightest are not teaching your children.

They are at the top universities making assloads of money to do research and to teach the generation of the best and brightest who will either

1) do the same
2) use their intellect to make assloads of money elsewhere

You only realize this when you get to college and see who the future teachers of tomorrow are. "Education majors" who specialize in math, science, English, etc.

There are some genuinely smart teachers, but many of them realize their potential and do not go down that route.

>many of them realize their potential
Don't you mean many of them don't realize their potential?

>No reading comprehension
>It's the teachers fault
lol

yeah, no

I went to a retardedly rich public school and it was appalling to say the least

Everything useful I know I had to teach myself

Dude... That's a pretty serious truth bomb you just dropped. Probably the truest post I've seen on any board on this site. I'm sorry they'll all ignore you, brother. I'm with you though.

In Australia there are schools called select entry schools, they are public schools where a standard test must be taken to get in giving a private school education that is much, much cheaper. Everyone is capable and in the class of students that will always pass as the talent has been proven, now there just needs some hard work.

What I learnt is that is that there's always gonna be shit teachers and if you need to do well in finals you self teach with the course textbook. The teacher is just there to supplement and tell you how the exams are structured and how they want you to answer.

By your last years of high school understand that you shouldn't rely on your teachers. Study yourself and blame yourself.

I had several great teachers in public school.

I had a bio teacher that finished the curriculum in 80% of the required time and took us on field trips so we could do field observations in unique biomes.

I had a calculus teacher that had us spend the last half of the course learning to program our graphing calculators because we had already learned all the calculus and she wanted us to stay interested in math and programming.

I had a music teacher who I hated because he was a religious nut but in retrospect he was pretty cool; he founded three additional choirs and took us to sing the national anthem at two NBA games for a championship team, then got us tickets.

I had a creative writing teacher who, even though I was one of the top students, told me when I was good and when I was being a pretentious shit and made me a much better writer.

I had some shitter teachers too, but I can't remember them because I learned plenty from the good ones.

Then again this was in the 90s so it's possible things have gone downhill since then.

>because they are deluded that they can be the genius
Joke's on you. I'm fine doing stuff I like and dying forgotten by everyone, except maybe some fag that cites some of my papers.

>If people actually wanted their children to be educated they would take time out their day to try to teach them something personally.

In America the only teaching done is for turning people into wageslaves and good consumers.

Harsh, but not wrong.

Honour the work my nigga