Just recently worked with CRSIPR/Cas9 on yeast. Really amazed about it. What do you think?

Just recently worked with CRSIPR/Cas9 on yeast. Really amazed about it. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-designer-microbiome-20150709-story.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did you just do random misesnse mutations or did you use a guide for homology-directed repair? I'm trying to use a guide and would appreciate some tips.

homologous recombination. it actually worked in 2 of 6 clones.

>>please go ahead and ask

You only made 6 clones? I'm jelly. My PI is making me prepare 70 clones..

we're using CRISPRs to knock genes out in plants. shit's pretty baller.

it's also overturning a LOT of accepted research in plant bio. there's a couple mutant alleles in our sub-field that the literature said was nonviable, but it turns out if you knock them out with CRISPR they're absolutely fine. same thing is happening all over the place

there's a lab on campus that had years of their work thrown out because a CRISPR allele turned out not to have the phenotype they'd spent years studying. and then it turned out it was a TILLING allele that hadn't been properly backcrossed to get rid of all the background EMS mutations.

hahaha...because 6 were more than enough. just as backup 12. but everything was functional in those ^^

wonderful... i love this shit.

OP here. what about all this "we dont have the right to play god" bullshit?

only fags say that

Who cares what non-scientists think? Do dentists care about what I think about Listerine vs ACT?

theoretically right. but the problem here is that those non-scientific individuals make most of the times the rules, by leading politics into the of all around public interest

>Who cares what non-scientists think?
they're the ones paying the bills

Is this that tech they use to make yeast produce THC or something?

it's a technique for generating double strand breaks in DNA in a highly specific manner that also works, unlike the other tech we've had that tried to do the same thing in the past

you can fuck with genes, you can target proteins to certain genes, if you provide an appropriate substrate you can make the cell swap DNA into its genome

lots of really cool shit. like i said, we've had technology for generating double strand breaks before, they just didnt' work well at all or werent very specific. CRISPR is easy, it just works the first time you try it, and there's not any weird licensing issues to deal with

>not any weird licensing issues to deal with

Thank fuck. I hate that shit.

Previous technologies like TALENS worked, they just took longer.

jewish lab tricks

And were fucking expensive. And impractical (considering the xboxhuge talen protein).

And not to talk about manufactured zinc finger proteins *shudder*

How long till someone makes an intestinal probiotic bacteria that converts testosterone into estrogen so we can have a pill that'll make you a girl with a single dose?

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-designer-microbiome-20150709-story.html

Seriously tho. If we use CRSIPR to make designer gut bacteria that delivers a steady stream of drugs, how long after that would it be till people start selling their poop on the black market? India would never be the same again.

In 25 years any narcotic imaginable will be able to be produced yeast cells.