Is fiction worthless?

I don't mean concepts conveyed through fiction like Orwellian ideas, but the lore of fiction like greek mythology or a superhero universe.

this thread sucks

Worthless than what?

its a seriuos question ive been pondering, your mean words are unappreciated in this family friendly zone :^(

To expand, I imply the worthlessness of a lore. Lore has no impact in our world and all knowledge of it garners no development of a skill, so why do we make fiction?

We're all just biding time with different forms of entertainment before death. 'Practical' is just a word humans invented to relate the value of one thing to another: function as meaning.

Being able to discuss and analyze literary knowledge is a skill. That's why university's pay people to impart said knowledge. Also: they say that American's go to psychiatrists for help while Brits simply read fiction. It's a useful activity for garnering a deeper and richer understanding of human nature and historo-cultural underpinnings as a whole.

Oh: you'll also appear smarter.

This is true but not what OP is talking about at all.

OP is asking whether or not knowing exact details of who died and who fucked who in the newest Song of Ice and Fire book is a worthwhile or worthless skill. I think it's worthless, but yes, the analysis of literature is the important part.

this is basically the conclusion i've reached. But is it true that fictional fantasies are in any way a superior entertainment medium than the physical world?

This is a depressing conclusion. It implies that no fantasy an individual can conjure truly matters, making them null and void, thus destroying a medium many individuals find pleasure.

I don't think they are. What would make you think that fantasies are better than reality?

I see what you're saying. I've always dismissed these 'fantasies' and I've always looked down on who enjoy them as having a poor choice of values, but I've never really took time to think about it this way.

pls excuse my edge, but reality seems mundane compared to imagination. The fact that any time an individual could invest in learning about a fictional world is time wasted agonizes me; yet the common response i've heard to this argument is that life can be as exciting as one can make it, but this point seems fruitless in the face of absurdism.

I understand the logical side of the argument, and the label of worthless can be applied to fiction; however, while fiction may be useless in the practical reality, i find it has uses in a more emotional effect.

>but this point seems fruitless in the face of absurdism

Can't absurdity also be terrifyingly exhilarating?

would you mind elaborating that point for me?

In the face of absurdism, one should create his own purpose. I guess that fiction could be that purpose. I see that there's nothing inherently wrong with fiction as purpose, but (maybe because of my upbringing, circumstances, don't really know...) for me, even in the face of absurdist purposelessness and chaos, I have a feeling that people should strive to serve the highest purpose they can depending on their society, circumstances. I can't imagine myself getting lost into another world, to be honest. Perhaps I am really missing out on something. Don't mean to sound edgy or haughty.

I think this picture does a decent job :)

Thank you, I apologize for my haste.

My answer to the proper prompt is that deep and broad knowledge of intricate details in various lore is only as useful as your ability to practically use it. So, if you're a fiction writer, critic, social theorist, or any other type of academic whose job directly relates to said information, then of course fiction and its contents isn't useless. Aside from that, it would only be useful as to facilitate a better understanding of life by acting as a repository for potential analogies, references in future creative works, and whatever else idk. Just based on how relevant sports analogies can be in real life (slam dunk, homerun, knockout, etc.), then it's safe to assume that Tolkienesque fiction can contribute as much fodder for abstract metaphorical understanding of shiiiiiit

I'd call getting lost in fiction an escape from reality, and if anything i'd call myself in a state of denial, trying to find some practical purpose to my interest of fictional worlds rather than embracing their fruitlessness.

As for your other point, I enjoy that sense of optimism, which i think falls more in an existentialist philosophy than an absurdist. But still, thank you for finding some light.

optimism is fun

Come back when your question isn't self-answering and stupid

It's neither self answering nor stupid.> Please take the time to read what others have written, and try to make thoughtful, well-written posts of your own.

Join in on the discussion, friendo

Very well
It sounds as though you are asking: "Is escapist , wish fulfillment story telling inferior to Big Important Novels of Ideas?"
The answer is: Yes. Yes, it is.
Unless you have no use for deep, socially relevant books that are meant to be considered in conversation with other works in the literary canon. In which case the answer is "no".

Hope that helps.