Is "subvocalization" (reading with a voice inside your head) a meme? Please help me out here Veeky Forums...

Is "subvocalization" (reading with a voice inside your head) a meme? Please help me out here Veeky Forums, you are helpful people

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Reading-Brain-New-Science-Read/dp/0143118056
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Veeky Forums>>>boards.Veeky Forums.org/lit/

I read with a voice in my head.

>help me out here Veeky Forums
yeah, no, this is Veeky Forums
kill yourself

My condolences.

HOLY fuck I am retarded, sorry Veeky Forums

But now that I think about it, this question might actually be better suited for this board. Any good research on subvocalization and its advantages/disadvantages?

It is arguably more common for readers to _also_ imagine the pronunciation of a word they're reading, but a competent adult reader mostly gets the information in a lexical way where the brain just links the written word to its semantic contents.
Just read this book, it's quite good: amazon.com/Reading-Brain-New-Science-Read/dp/0143118056

People with an IQ over around 130 don't need to read with a voice inside their head. (I have an IQ betweel 126-132 so sometimes the voice pops up, when it does you just have to suppress it, I have a black belt in calculus so it isn't too difficult.)

So no it's not just a meme, lesser minds use this to be able to read at all, how nice for them.

Ah, the absurd IQ autofellatio of Veeky Forums.

>lesser minds
>only IQ 126
Hahahahahhahahahaha

i have 103 iq and i dont read with a voice in my mind!! >:(

8/10

Yout got people to reply to you as if this wasn't a meme.

>thinking someone would unironically talk about a black belt in calculus

subvocalization is real but useless for comprehension

it's a major factor in low reading speeds, because it leads to lost time between understanding the word's meaning and finishing hearing the word pronounced in your head

can Veeky Forums count without subvocalizing?

Don't worry, if you practice enough you won't have to read out loud anymore.

one

i kekd

first

I didn't use to do that, but I do it all the time now. The reason I do it now is for pacing. With fiction books, I assign a voice to each character. I read in the speed I think they'd be talking during that bit of dialog.

Why? Because it is more fun that way.

With non-fiction, I don't really internalize it like that. I just skim it for the most part. Non-fiction doesn't matter anyway.

All people sub vocalize when they read. Some are just more aware of it.

How about when you see things. Like a car, do you visualize the word "car" in your mind when you see it? There are people who claim this is what normal people do. Like we go around seeing words all the time when interacting with objects.

Thus far, it seems like a complete load of shit.

i think you're more welcome in r/iamverysmart

We don't have words for every possibly abstract idea. Its like how in Asian languages there are words that describe ideas that in Latin languages we have to use multiple words to describe

Subvocalization is a tool, just as much as "speed reading" is.

The best approach is to vary your reading speed depending on the material you are reading. If you are reading a dense text, you want to slow down substantially, subvocalize, and make sure you completely understand it. You should not use subvocalization at normal, casual reading speeds. And if what you're reading is something you already fully understand or contains extraneous material, you should "speed read."

Used to not subvocalize as a kid. Now I can't read without doing it.