Books that literally scared you

As if the Devil himself inhabited the pages.

This one started my realization that there were both good and evil in the world. I was 9 when I first read it.

House of Leaves. There is a part where the lights go out in the book. When I read it the power went off in my house. Had to tell myself, "only a coincidence"...

Hahahaha I can relate to that. I also talked myself into believing that if I just did not open Bulgakov's book then the Devil could not get me. LOL

If you enjoy books that are uncharacteristically scary to some readers but not others than if you have not already read it, might I suggest WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin written in 1924.

anything by Lovecraft scares me cause it reminds me of the horrors of what i do not know

You were 9 and caught all of the references to Orthodoxy? What are you, some sort of Eastern European savant?

i also think that is strange

with lovecraft as long as you don't try to find any of that shit out you should be good

>tfw don't read russian

started a translation, but it was so dispassionate that i couldn't get past the first 20 or 30 pages. it was like the translator had a fundamental understanding of russian and a russian-english dictionary and was able to translate it word for word, but completely blew it on translating anything that wasn't literally on the page.

Sounds like P&V, that dreadful duo who have vivisected and lobotomized all Russian literature they were allowed to get their paws on. It is beyond me how their editions are the most popular at the moment.

this shit scared the piss out 11 year old me

this is the only correct answer

Very unsettling

Thanks all for the comments. As a way of apologizing, let me explain that I was raised by two librarians. Hippies as it were, in CA. We are a Russian English family so ideology religion and politics were always at the forefront of conversation. Literature in all its forms were always available and encouraged. As were myself and my siblings.

WUZ

>tfw no jailbait twin asian goofy qt sex slaves

did not care for that one I am guessing???

You disagree?

dubs checked
trips get

Lord of the Flies.
I was very young when I first read that. Something around 8 and 9. I couldn't stop reading that and I felt brainfucked after I finished.

Tried to read it in high school, had a freakout at the end of the Tralala chapter, never came back to it.

oh man you're missing the best story then

there aren't any "obscure" orthodox references in that book lol

KANGZ

I've never been scared by a book.

then why did you post

120 Days of Sodom. Yes, I was actually shocked and disgusted by that book. I dropped at part 3.

This
I read on 1st class, age 7, and I remember parts of this book word by word because I was so horrified of the things that happened, or more precisely, weren't or were about to happen. The whole transformation of everyone and everything made me very afraid of strange people when I was a child
Also I saw nightmares where I was alone in a cave and I knew that the Lord of the Flies was in the darkness as the cave was filled with flies, but I could not escape from the cave either because the boys with war paint were waiting outside the cave and yelling at me to go deeper into the darkness

Still my favorite book

so I should go with the michael glenny translation?

Is the only other available online so go with it, I guess. For physical copies there are other, better ones but I can't remember any of the names right now. Go look on goodreads for a forum thread comparing different translations, lots of good discussion in there. Yes, GR is not all shit. Look for user Nate D.

thanks homie