What are the essential works of Russian literature?

What are the essential works of Russian literature?

Anna Karenina and Brothers Karamazov. You can read only these two, the rest does not even come close.

>dissing Gogol's The Carriage
>Lermontov
>Pushkin's entire oeuvre

all of them are essential from the 19th century, desu.

Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev

Your opinion has been dismissed.

>being this much of a pleb
Gogol and Pushkin are God-Tier.

>discouraging people from reading broadly
At last, I truly see now why this board was created

hey, did you ever read Gogol's The Portrait? fucking magnificent.

Is Pushkin's poetry worth reading in translation, especially Eugene Onegin? He intrigues me and I've read Dosto, Bulgakov, and Pelevin in translation, but I feel like poetry would be very different.

just read his short stories. I'd avoid his poetry, desu. I tried and it was pretty intolerable. try gogol too. really can't be missed, friend.

Cyka Blyad' by Cyka Huievich Blyad'ov

Pushkin, lermonyov, gogol, Chekhov, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky are the basics. If you want more let me know.

What should I read if I only want the "essentials" but I'm not particularly interested in going deep into subject as a whole.

the wikipedia article

Bydlo.

The best known work of each so I'd say eugine onegin, a hero of our time, dead souls, Anna kerrinina and the karamazov brothers.

Everything pales in comparison with Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

To illustrate my point, Bulgakov was a former white army member, fought against communism, spoke out against Stalin and communism in later times, and Stalin didnt send him to the gulag or have him shot. He made him the director of Moscow theatre.

Pretty sure thats the greatest compliment a man can receive.

desu everything in the 19th century and 20th century is excellent in russia for the most part.

People on here are plebs and only read le master and marguerita, or dead souls. Ignore them, but you'll end up like them too most likely, it's a trap.

The Twelve chairs