Econ + Math guy here

Econ + Math guy here.

Why are science people so fucking elitist?

I always see physics people shitting on chemists, who shit on biologists, who shit on psychologists/other social sciences etc.

Cant you faggots have an appreciation for all the fields?

Any smart person who's passionate in their field can do great things in their field. All of these fields are useful to society. Yes, even Psychology. No, most of the women/retards who do it are completely useless. But the truly smart ones will do better than your average ass, even if you do do physics.

People i see acting so fucking elitist are just man children who, ironically, i view as plebs, since they cannot see the value in the field they are deriding.

because we are the only ones with an empirical method of establishing a logical hierarchy

Because we're better than you.

Physicists shitting on chemists who shit on biologists is more friendly banter than anything. As far as psychologists are concerned... well, let's just say that there is the neuroscience aspect of psychology and the classic Freudian method to psychology. You can guess which one we respect, I'm sure.

This for the most part ends once junior year rolls around. Its just freshman banter, at least around here.

I've seen chemists get triggered by the one bio major in their ochem class that actually understands the material(typically because intro bio classes cover some early sections of ochem)

Physics majors can pisses off some math majors by being really exception at calculus(a good physics major, can end up with more in depth understand on the function of math vs the math major's love of the "beauty of math")

Its just a symptom of people being young and an us vs them mentality. It quickly goes away once you get into a situation where you lean on the skills of each other.

Did this pleb just use psychology on Veeky Forums

these are pretty spot on 2bh

>empirical
descarte would like a word.

By its very nature, economics is difficult to replicate. Its not like their are two earths where in one earth we can raise the interest rate and in the other we keep it the same.

But your absolutely retarded if you think economics isnt useful or helpful for understanding how economies work.

Fact: The Federal Reserve has more power over the economic future of the US than the President or Congress.

People who take the purity of memes comic seriously are never going to accomplish anything so let them feel good about themselves ok

So you agree, physics is more valuable than psychology.

you forgot the clear start

Math
shits on
Physics
shits on
Chem
shits on
Bio / engineers
shits on
Psychology / Social science

so goes the Veeky Forums hierarchy, brainlet. Coming here with your elitist
> i view [them] as plebs
to complain about elitism is retarded as fuck. You're a hypocrite and a tremendous faggot.

Everything's fine here, except for the request for us to not mock psychology endlessly. Fuck that pseudoscience horseshit.

No, i was giving an example based on the rankings of this board.

physics is of coarse important to the world, but so is psychology, as it deals with how human behavior works.

Protip, the american presidential candidates largely use methods from psychology to win elections. Policies are irrelevant for elections.

There are so many things in the real world where psychology is applied.

My point being is that all of these fields are highly fascinating and useful to society, manchildren like you just cant see it. Because you have no interest in actually bettering your understanding of the whole world around you. You just want to masterbate over your unfinished major cos its all you can derive your worth from.

>psychology
>important

>purchasing media propaganda and colluding with people are "methods from psychology"

are you suuuuure you're an "Econ + Math" guy? you might not be just econ?

Except people who shit on worthwile degrees really are fucking plebs. Because they have a narrow view of the world, and can't see value when its there.

That isn't elitist of me, its the fucking truth. Your immature and stupid if you take the take the ranking to heart.

btw, im not saying every major is worthwhile. Some are clearly dogshit, like womens study and information systems

Yeah marketing methods are actually a detriment to society. Fuck psychology.

But seriously, I actually do study and enjoy certain aspects of psychology but the vast majority of the field is unfounded or even flat out wrong.

so let me get this straight
only you can decide which majors are worthwhile, and everyone who doesn't agree is a fucking pleb, immature and stupid.
that's the point of the thread?

They are famalam, even if your too ignorant to see it. And yes im currently completing 2nd year uni maths as a compldment to economics

And physics invented the nuclear bomb, so what? The point is its a real field that works, and if you know and understand how human behavior works, that gives you a great advantage in understanding how the world and society works.

Just becauses bussiness use pyschology to turn a profit, its shit now? What about all the environmental impacts of petroleum chemistry had in the past? Using science for profit doesnt make a field bad.

Im saying, your all ignorant as fuck if you only see physics/math as the holy grail. In terms of societal usefulness, those degrees are a one way ticket to starbucks anyway most of the time - unless your good at what you do.

No, smart and mature people decide. I happen to be one of them, and your clearly not. Sorry if you cant see it bro.

>Cant you faggots have an appreciation for all the fields?

real scientists can

the loser virgins here cannot

Which is a worse science, psychology or computer science?

Yo elitists can someone recommend good tutorial for data science. I want to get in that field, since it combines econ, data, CS?

You forgot engineering from the chart.
On second thought though, it would be so high, compared to all these plebs who do nothing but argue about who's the best instead of getting shit done like real engineers, that 99% of the chart would be white.

Engineering Science: the science of destroying self-absorbed, arrogant physicists in every possible way.

psychology
at least jihadi john had a Masters in CS, how many notable Psychologists can you name?

>Fact: The Federal Reserve has more power over the economic future of the US than the President or Congress.

I am not so sure the Fed can really do all that much. Over the past 6 years or so we have had near zero interest rates plus various forms if Quantitative easing and we havent seen much of an effect either positive or negative. No fantastic growth and also no increasing inflation. It may be that the fed is really an example the dogs leading the walker.

This.

Do you really want to play that game?
Emery
Beck
Freud
Zimbardo
Jung
Pavlov
That is all I can remember off the top of my head. I unfortunately don't remember who did lead the baby arnold study.

I'm pretty sure bio is a physical science

There's no problem whatsoever with replication.

The problem is that psychology, sociology and economics are ideologically tainted.

When it comes to studies:
- political motivations to skew results
- poor understanding of data management
- only 30% of studies can be replicated

When it comes to the literature:
- disregard for empiricism
- no rigor
- opinions, opinions, opinions
- appeal to authority (i.e.: "as Foucault said" instead of evidence)
- authors circlejerking

Those fields could be done properly (in fact, there's probably a small subset in those fields that's actually done properly) but 99% of the time they aren't.

I studied in the Humanities for 1 year, had perfect grades just by memorizing the correct opinions and writing them down. I read the so-called great works of those disciplines and it was embarrassing. No rigor, no evidence. It's a field where everyone makes hypothesis, nobody tests them, and the hypothesis that stand are not the ones with the most evidence, but the ones that are the most popular.

To be faid the recent fed were quite limited sincd nominal rates were af zero. But a historical example would be Paul Volker did mors for the american economy than Ronald Reagan

Damn, sorry for typos, im on my phone

I'm also unsure how you disjoint chemistry from biology, there is a very good reason bio majors are required to take two semesters of intro chem, 2 of organic chem, and 2 of biochemistry.