What subject intrigues, worries, or even amazes you about the most about the Universe?

What subject intrigues, worries, or even amazes you about the most about the Universe?

Inevitable heat death

about the universe? what the fuck kind of question is this? this is ripe for idiotic popsci faggots to come and babble about how much they love quantum social science

How much of a faggot OP is.

Thought it would be nice to have a conversation about theories that surround the universe and discuss them, isn't this what thread's are for ?

The implications of quantum social science

the universe has the underlying rules that it creates subsystems which have to ability to explore and explain the system.

The whole ninth planet issue. I mean, we can take pictures of distant galaxies, but apparently we know jack shit about the distant parts of our own solar system. Something 10 times as massive as Earth might or might not be hiding there, and we only got a hint because the orbits of some rocks we did notice are a bit weird.

The truly unimaginably great distances between stars.

Distant galaxies emit their own light. Distant galaxies are also relatively large than distant, unlit bodies, across the field of view of whatever telescope instrument is capturing light.

>quantum social science

wtf, I hate quantum social science now

What a retard

This. It actually scares me. I don't even like to think of that shit.

how many milkshakes does the tootsie consetuction of then greater than the sum off all angels

>hating on quantum social science
come on now user

Those gamma ray bursts from dying stars.

Some phenomena in qm
The way certain molecular structures are in organisms (see atp synthase for one example fucking blows my mind)

The fact that the universe seems to be fine tuned for life (or any complex stuff at all) suggests infinite other universes. In an infinite multiverse there will probably exist infinite numbers of universes where Saddam Hussein assrapes me daily.

I once thought it was bad enough that this planet has billions of life forms suffering greatly, but the suffering is actually infinite. That's just way more fucked up than anything you could think of.

AI. Singularity is inevitable. Sam Harris already covered this. Humans will not exist in 50-100 years, unless we are powering the matrix.

quantum gravity

Also, Tabby's Star is a pretty big mindfuck.

The fact that the universe even exists. That you and I exist. What the actual fuck. We're these relatively "intelligent" creatures on a rock orbiting a star that's orbiting the center of the galaxy. Our galaxy along with the other locals are heading towards an even more massive galaxy. Life is weird and nothing matters. Fuck it I guess..

the scariest thing that frightens me is popscientists like this that can't into science
just let the many worlds meme end. First understand our own universe, spacetime and force before you invent a million others.

Are we living in a random Multiverse bubble or a designed/simulated singular Universe?
Is the quantum mechanical worldview correct?
How can we break the FTL barrier?
How to mine vacuum energy?
What is the significance of Pi?
Is the Universe deterministic?
Is the Universe intricate by design or is there a simple, elegant equation that governs everything?

I could keep going for a while but that's enough

What happened before the Big Bang, 'why is there somethin rather than nothing'.

Whether or not my mom queefs during sex.

I dont want to but I just have to know.

I have existential moral quandaries regarding Freudian pattern psychology. The state of mind is clearly too fluid to ever be represented in words. But still I wonder, for a quack, how much are we telling ourselves it must be so to dismiss thoughts we don't want to entertain?

I'm of the mindset that reality, while undoubtedly physical in some manifestation, surely is in tye eye of the beholder. What do I see that others percieve as reality on a completely different plane? Are our interpretations of the world around us merely fragments of a dream by our own design? Is this life nothing more than the breif exploding chaos of the mind trapped as a thrall to the whim of death?

Ah but, back to /b/ I go...

You are free to give another plausible explanation for the fine tuning argument.

>universe is fine tuned for life
>life only found in 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of it

Life is fine tuned for the universe, not the other way around

>there are no constants, they vary slowly over time
>there are no constants, they vary across space (megaverse)
>the so-called range that allows life is actually bigger, except those lives are entirely different but still basically the same

That literally everything is 100% completely random.
From every state, every particle, everything.

And this is completely infallible.

You'll be dead long long before that mate

>suggests

>assuming there is the multiverse

that our conciousness transcends this dimension and we will persist after death as sunlords in charge of making new stars for this lower plane of existence

But we've only investigated 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of places. How can you say life is only found there?

Is not a heat dead universe the closest thing there is to just 'nothing'? Why even call it a universe?

the electric sun hypothesis

The universe is going to end, I'm allowed to be worried for the future.

Go back to /X/

Ocean acidification, and climate change in general, and especially the public's general refusal to do the only workable solution: massive nuclear fission reactor roll-out.

Fucking theocrats.

Fucking libertarians.

I don't know what the theocrats and libertarians have to do with nuclear fission not being widely accepted.

It's mostly women that are against nuclear energy.
Followed by "green"ies

Though people seem to have become more accepting to nuclear, so maybe it's just the "green"ies now.

Nixon wanted 1000 nuclear reactors build by 2000, but then he fell and the anti-nuclear poop entered the administration.
Richard did a lot of good for the environment but Reagan tore it all down.

It was a random assessment of things that irk me. 3 things total with little to no relation.

oh, YOU THINK?

The disappointing lack of FTL makes me sad.

Even if the universe is full of lifeless rocks I still want to visit them all and check them out. Make maps, name interesting features, find places to sit and chill out.

It's not fair. Why can't the universe just vomit up a solution?

Constants varying over time is in effect the pretty much the same as the multiverse (the infinite universes are just separated by time instead of distance). Saddam Hussein would still have infinite assraping time with me.

I do understand that this universe setup is not the only one that could potentially support life, but you have to admit that it definitely looks like it couldn't be much different. If atoms didn't stay intact for long periods of time, or if matter just collapsed into a black hole after the big bang (or spread out far too thin), or stars didn't fusion stuff, or a huge number of other things happened differently, we wouldn't be here and most likely no other type of life would be either cause there'd be no building blocks for anything complex, be it life or planets or whatever.

Life is tuned for the universe, sure, but life would most likely not be here at all if you didn't have atoms, space, electromagnetic force, etc. Probably nothing in this universe exists that is redundant cause just about everything interacts with everything. Even stuff like neutrinos might be essential for some big bang calculation so that it doesn't end up with a zero matter or a big black hole.

There are just too many happy coincidences for our universe to be one of a kind. I bet even the smartest people out there wouldn't be able to design a universe, let alone have it happen by chance with one random dice roll.

Dynamics in 3 dimensions
Principle moments of inertia

You don't need FTL to visit all the fun places, just a bit shy of 1c will get you pretty far.

There are relativity calculators online where you can input some values, like having a starship that can accelerate at 1G constantly, and it seems you can circle our galaxy in 20 years or so and just about all of the universe in like 50 years cause of time dilation. But that's your time, Earth-time would be another matter. It would certainly help if you were just about immortal or lived at least a thousand years.

Although relativity allowing you to do something doesn't mean it's actually doable but FTL might not be needed after all. Mostly a huge energy source and some biological improvements.

>heat death
>not big rip
ree

Id say black holes. Just the fact that information is forever lost and we can never report discoveries made beyond the event horizon makes them an eternal mistery.
Also the whole "why is there something instead of nothing" and how reality is most likely eternal (no beggining).

Veeky Forums will always have its share of sub-100 IQ assburgers who cling on to every single bit of semantics, because they can't understand the most basic of implications behind anything you say, or any theorems it's based on.

With what we know now, the likelihood of this universe and any organized matter being able to exist, let alone conscious life to arise from it, is beyond fucking astronomical. The only logical explanation for it is the idea that this is not the first, nor the last time. Whether it's multiverse, many worlds theory, or just a cyclic model of the one single universe (m-theory or whatever else), it doesn't matter. What matters is that obviously there's something at the very core nature of reality that enables something, anything, to come out of "nothing".

So yes, Saddam Hussein assraping it is. Somewhere. But whether or not there will ever be a world where THIS you, here, now, will consciously move to that Saddam Hussein assrape world... that's another thing entirely.

I'm bothered by how much life propagates by killing other life. It's like the universe is inherently malicious. From parasitism basically being the easiest form of life, to bits of genetic code existing just to fuck up larger things by replicating, to humans having some sort of inherent hate of other humans doing things that are fun to them.

I also wonder if beings are just made up of other things parasitizing other things, organs, organelles, mitochondria, blood cells, all things that kept parasitizing each other until they became symbiotic. I further wonder if a conscious mind is a parasite, since it seems to be able to force the body to do things it doesn't want to do(e.g. stay awake or touch something uncomfortably hot).

A minor thing that bothers me is whether it's possible to will yourself to not be conscious, where conscious means observing things. You observe things when you're awake, when you dream, and even if you don't remember them. Even if you don't do anything, you remain so. So I wonder if it's at all possible to just force yourself to stop being able to experience stuff completely through will(as opposed to through brain death).

You sound like religious fags.

Remember when they claimed that there's only earth sun moon and the dots on pavement? And that's it's pop-religious to believe there are other worlds... or to challenge authority.

Maybe even if this universe is the only possible configuration - it just fucking happened for life to be tuned for it...

I've heard someone hypothesizing somewhere that beyond observable universe - different patches of observable universe could have slightly different properties, that idea was indeed interesting.

kek. 10/10

The gradual slowdown in the earth's rotational speed

>life would most likely not be here at all if you didn't have atoms, space, electromagnetic force
You don't know that. There would be other things.

None of those things are inherent to life, only to carbon-based life

Life is just self-replicating bits of information that suffer changes across generations

>no building blocks for anything complex,

You
don't
know
that

The chances are not low

Complex systems are the logical result of thermodynamic fluctuations

>fine-tuned for life
Bullshit.
Life would probably come about regardless. All you need is for a molecule to self-replicate in certain (abundant( conditions and you're off on the billion-year journey

Proteins are literal nanomachines and that amazes me.
They have levers, pulleys, springs, hinges, locks, even rudimentary turbines. It's insane to me.

He's saying that life wouldn't exist without molecules, which isn't true

It doesn't matter what complex systems are made of

They don't. Those are just analogies. You clearly don't understand proteins at all.

What bothers me is that I see no reason for there to be cause/effect. Just infinite arrays of spacetime-frames. Unless steady-moving/accelerating reference frames provide enough different ways to view this universe, in which case the laws of physics constrain possibilities.

>In an infinite multiverse there will probably exist infinite numbers of universes where Saddam Hussein assrapes me daily.
Look at the bright side - there is also an infinite number of universes where YOU are assraping Saddam Hussein daily.

How does something come from nothing. That instantly proves to me were in some fucked up simulation of higher beings controlling a collective consciousness. You have to design a mainframe that would warrant infinite possibilities.

>suggests infinite other universes
i don't see how you came to that conclusion from "universe is fine tuned for life"

Something had to either A: Come from nothing, or B: Always exist for no real reason, my man. Even higher beings.

All of the science fags are in a frenzy over this question. It's just a simple question to spark conversation. Not a big deal.

Both wrong.
We have always existed, for very good reason.
Spacetime, bitches. The problem is not many humans alive today really understand it.

>We have always existed,
>B: Always exist for no real reason

Existing from the beginning would still mean something had to create it.

You just don't understand spacetime, or boundary conditions.

Give me a good link I'd love to learn. I really know the overall concept of space time but not the fine details.

you have to work it out yourself, nobody understands it. At least not modern human academia.

Alll my stolen credintals for login for some websites... What happens to them after? Thats what worries me...

All you guys saying "there would be other forms of life" are pretty much missing the point. Yes, there is no reason to think that "our kind of life" is the only possible life. But that doesn't mean that if you throw random laws into existence as a universe, there would magically be life.

For example, what other forms of life do you see in our universe? When I take a leak, the piss droplets hitting the toilet don't magically form a spirit entity that starts to solve math problems. Yet if life was easy to create and lots of different environments supported abiogenesis, we should see lots of different kinds of life in our complex universe, forming from whatever processes every now and then. We do not see that. If life is super rare even in a universe like ours, then how would it be likely in a universe where all the matter is missing, or only hydrogen is produced and no heavier elements, or gravity doesn't exist at all and matter just expands away from everything indefinitely, or a billion other things happened differently?

A lot of specific stuff had to happen for our kind of life to exists. If you think that life is easy to come by, then why don't you just put random stuff in a jar and wait for life to arise? Surely there are billions of molecules in that jar with dozens of forces acting on it, making some complex stuff. Probably a lot more interaction and complexity forming stuff in that jar than in most universes.

Since most conceivable values for current physics parameters don't produce a universe with anything interesting in it, there must be an explanation for the unlikely combination that we see. Some might argue that it is some god selecting the values. The other explanation is that the dice were rolled a gazillion times, or even infinite number of times. Thus multiverse (or maybe this universe somehow can do hard resets and forms infinite number of loops with different settings).

False vacuum

Why is matter more stable than anti-matter and therfore predominant, when they were both created in equal quantities

why has modern culture surpassed neutron stars as the most degenerate thing in the cosmos

does the proton decay

why the fuck did the weak force have to be a thing, that bullshit interaction should have never come into existence so we could have dank as fuck deuterium-tritium stars

also, why is the speed of light the seemingly arbitrary constant that it is as opposed to literally any other velocity

will anyones theoretical calculations ever get BTFO by physical observation harder than the vacuum catastrophe

>False vacuum

This. The whole idea that our universe could just get swallowed up by some random fluctuation is pretty crazy.

>also, why is the speed of light the seemingly arbitrary constant that it is as opposed to literally any other velocity

Technically it isn't a fundamental constant. You can make it any number by changing units. Something like the fine structure constant is an actual seemingly arbitrary number in physics.

DNA

Cause Einstein