What is this zika bullshit all about, overall?

What is this zika bullshit all about, overall?

Why is no one talking about quarantining and exhaustively screening people returning from the Rio Olympics (and forcing them to pay for it)? What is going on with the Olympics in general? It seems like it's largely just a front.

I'm just so tired of nothing making sense. I have ideas and decent heuristics to predict what drives a given outcome, but simply don't have time to follow and unravel every single dumb little thing the trash that is the human species fucks itself with.

Other urls found in this thread:

fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-olympics-probably-wont-spread-zika/
cdc.gov/zika/transmission/index.html
sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160217125535.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What is this zika bullshit all about, overall?

fear mongering

>What is going on with the Olympics in general? It seems like it's largely just a front.

No memes. We will only post attractive females here.

1) It's a shitshow because it's Brazil. If you want to get into the fine details of how corruption fucks over a country, making virtually no one give a shit about anything beyond immediate survival, we're on the wrong board.

2) People don't want to lose money/prestige by canceling their involvement.

3) Last time I checked, mosquito-borne Zika was already in the southern US.

>If you want to get into the fine details of how corruption fucks over a country
While it's relevant, I already have this angle pretty well covered. More into the finer specifics, and motivational / control structures at work here. Why so much money has disappeared, why the refusals to postpone, why the WHO is (as usual, because they're a net worthless garbage excuse for a corrupt organization) bullshitting heavily. Etc.

>2) People don't want to lose money/prestige by canceling their involvement.
And they won't withdraw because there's no guarantee most of everyone else will follow. The old catch 22.

>3) Last time I checked, mosquito-borne Zika was already in the southern US.
It is. I'm in the northeast, but in a myopic way am considering a future where you worry about contracting zika from an asymptomatic carrier in the same way you do HIV. People intending to have children must be screened. Probably being a carrier also entails some degree of gradual brain damage, etc.

What a nuisance, and for no good reason.

Quarantine all of the Olympians in Rio. In 100 years we'll have new breed of highly athletic people with tiny brains. The perfect slave race for hard manual labor.

Zika causes a horrible condition, but it does so so rarely that we are unwilling to marshal significant resources against it.

People don't become 'carriers' of zika. Once the virus passes, it's done with. If a woman gets zika, waits 6 months, then gets pregnant, there's no problem.

fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-olympics-probably-wont-spread-zika/

tl;dr: Humans as a medium for transmission is so rare, that the net effects of human migration to/from the Olympics have practically no statistical effect on the amount of Zika spread under normal circumstances (in particular, by normal, non-olympic migration).

But then what do we do with our regular people with tiny brains? They will likely turn to crime and violence if left idle

> What is this zika bullshit all about, overall?

At it's core, the Zika issue is really about the greater argument of whether or not it's justifiable to out right exterminate or genetically alter the mosquitoes as a entire species.

Many played coy about the idea, some argue that it would disturb the balance of ecosystems and a few even try to justify leaving them alone because it killed the undesirables among human populations in third world countries.

But it's getting really hard to fucking ignore a organism 1/1000th your size having the ability to biologically fuck you over permanently because in needs to eat.

Seriously how is it that out of all the species we did in the fucking mosquito is the one that gets a pass? Just kill them or genetically alter them so they don't feed on blood.

>or genetically alter them so they don't feed on blood.
I don't think you understand how this works.

even without zika getting rid of mosquitoes is justifiable.

> People don't become 'carriers' of zika.
This is wrong.

cdc.gov/zika/transmission/index.html

>Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.

> Zika can be passed through sex from a person who has Zika to his or her partners. Zika can be passed through sex, even if the infected person does not have symptoms at the time.

What makes Zika different from something like AIDS is that people don't become carriers for life. Only for about size weeks while their immune system is sorting things out.

hence why they said "wait for 6 months"?

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160217125535.htm

user I completely agree with you but others just simply want the problem to persist despite hard proof that it is relatively easier and more effective to get rid of mosquitoes than to cure the diseases that come from them.

I wonder if you could do this with humans. I want like a 30/70, M/F split, or at least closer to like 45/55.

>having the ability to biologically fuck you over permanently because in needs to eat.
Huh?

>sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160217125535.htm
Can you not read? They're just selecting their gender, not "altering them so they don't feed on blood." Yes, males don't bite, but this is a shortcut for reducing their populations, not changing the way the species operates.

>I have ideas
Ideas are good, but they are
no substitute for knowledge.

>exterminate an entire species because people get a harmless fever
ok fampai

BUMP.

I think the Illuminati created the virus to reduce the population size.
I think consequences will never be the same.

>I'm just so tired of nothing making sense. I have ideas and decent heuristics to predict what drives a given outcome, but simply don't have time to follow and unravel every single dumb little thing the trash that is the human species fucks itself with.

Too bad, because infectious disease public health is an easy as shit field to get into for anyone with half a brain and yet you'd rather just shitpost about it.

Really makes you think...

There he is, the faggot that asks people to go to /x/ as soon as something is not in line with what he heard on tv