Do you like your native language, Veeky Forums?

Do you like your native language, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N6QUFqiJx9k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_back_unrounded_vowel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> French

Yes. English is quite a bad language for thinking, philosophy, and community (I mean, it's the only language that capitalizes the first-person pronoun - no wonder they're selfish cultureless swine that can't cook or dance).

Portuguese is ugly as fuck desu

read a book on linguistics froglord

mfw such a lust for revenge

>English
Fuck yeah. I love it, in all its stupid glory.

>Russian

Yes, it's absolutely beautiful.

>German
>knows how to pronounce Goethe, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, etc. correctly
Feels good man.

>he doesn't realise that "correctly" differs based on the language being used, and is not necessarily simply how it is pronounced in its native tongue
I don't call it fucking Pa-reeeeee. Even if it is Frogtown.

>Irish
Yeah, it's based, but I never get to speak it

>English
It has dizzying heights and abysmal lows but over all yeah, it's based.

>Spanish
Yes, its a fucking beautiful language

Everybody has the same native language tbqh senpai.

youtube.com/watch?v=N6QUFqiJx9k

> can't use a comma
> DUDE YOU JUST DONT KNOW LINGUISTICS

Anglos destroying their own language.

What I absolutely love about German is that you can just make up ridiculously long new words by combining existing ones

>German
I hate reading and hearing it, except if it's academic texts. Colloquial German seriously triggers me.

>Russian
Well, it's OK, I guess

>Spanish, hebrew, english

I'm cool with it.

>having a bicameral alphabet

>French
No. Granted, it has at least as much potential as German, but it's incredibly hard to make it not suck.
I believe that most foreigners who claim to like it would not do so if they understood the workings of the language, and that the farthest they have gotten to getting a feel for it is found in their belief, mistaken as it is, that they need to do that thing with their nose to speak it aloud.

>and is not necessarily simply how it is pronounced in its native tongue

Yes, yes it is, you mongoloid monolingual.

I grew up in a Yiddish speaking household and yes I love it.

>ancient colonies
>they think it is their language

lul

>Danish
Currently reading J. P. Jacobsen Niels Lyhne which is an amazing piece, and beautiful danish. Recently translated to english.
(Can also pronounce Soren Kierkegaards name properly)
And we have H. C. Andersen

So whenever you talk about China you call it Zhongguo, regardless of what language you are speaking?

>PAREEEEE

After learning German I now dislike all the silent letters in English. The capitalization of nouns is nice too and I wish we still used "thou."

>hey what did you do this summer?
>oh I went on a trip to new orh-lay-ohhn

двa из тpeх пocтoв в ceм тpeдe oт OП.
Beweist mich falsch.
red nit kayn wtus

>Portuguese
it's cool

that's a great book, fäm

>mfw non-native speakers will never fully appreciate the depth of Shakespeare, Melville, Joyce, and Pynchon unless they're rich autists like Nabokov and they get tutored in the language from age 3

>Dutch
No problems with it. It can definitely be the most knullige language in existence (wins easily in this respect), but it can also be beautiful. I do think that our literature sucks though.

latin, pretty ok desu

>English is quite a bad language for thinking, philosophy, and community

and yet, here we are

>Romanian

I guess. I've heard it's pretty hard to master, and learners rarely get the phonetics right (but then again, isn't that true of every language, English included?). True, not many people have to learn it, and even fewer want to.

The basic structure is Romance but the vocabulary is a weird hybrid of Romance and Slavic for the most part, with lots of borrowings from Hungarian, Turkish, Medieval Greek and French for the high-brow terms. Phonetically too--it sounds a bit like Sicilian spoken by a Ukrainian-born nymphet snatched by the Ottomans and bred as a sex slave; this tends to give it an aura of exotic sensuality in the minds of uncultured monolingual Westerners, such as John "It's so beeg" Green. This aura is also supported by Romanian girls' reputation as being both shapely and slutty (which isn't true at all, btw--some of them are butt-ugly and slutty).

Suh-ren Keer-keh-guard.

Ovid pls go

What do you mean "and yet"?

>Hebrew
It's truly beautiful, and I enjoy playing with it when I write poems. Sadly, all the Hebrew I hear everyday is the disgusting and distorted slang of anti-intellectual degenerates that make it sounds like shit with their tasteless sexist words and overuse of kebab curses.

Nimms leicht mein freund

Grew up bilingual, english mother, german father. Growing up in germany, got the british, newzealand and german passport.
Mother read tons of books (litrature, novels and shit), father philosophy most of the time.
Im fucking set up boys, best of both worlds.

what are you fav writers, חבר?

>overuse of kebab curses
You wouldn't like germany

...you don't know those words?

I'd like to learn it, along with Roma and Hung Aryan because it's fellow commieblockistanis but the materials are difficult to find. I speak French and I speak Slavic as it is.

Surely he means, "and yet it's Anglo-Saxon civilisation that emerged in the 19th and 20th centuries as the supreme world powers, exerting a more universal influence on the rest of humanity than any previous empire in all of recorded history.

Also,
>English is bad for philosophy
Good meme, fàm. France hasn't produced a respectable philosopher in over a century. They're all Parisian pseudo-intellectuals spouting utter nonsense.

The serious academic philosophical community laughs at your Frenchy public intellectuals. The best you have to offer today are living caricatures like BHL. Give me a break!

Some foreigner told me it sounds more like: 'Saarn keerkegau'
aa = å
His name would translate to Soren Graveyard

רחל, זלדה, יהודה עמיחי, יונה וולך, חנוך לוין. מה איתך?

Can you give examples?

>obvious רוסים
>wouldn't like it in Germany
echt?

The foreigner was probably right.

The user you're responding to pronounced like a Norwegian.

Danish is what happens when a nation tries to divorce its spoken language from the written form as far as possible. They speak like they have potatoes in their mouths.

>echt
Stop pretending you know German. They capitalize the first word in every sentence you dip.

Flemish literature is pretty good, a lot of the time. I'll agree on the knullig part.

>רחל, זלדה, יהודה עמיחי, יונה וולך, חנוך לוין. מה איתך?
ani lo mavena iwrit

that's why I was asking in the first place.

Estonian. Yes.
Having no gendered pronouns is pretty comfy. Also all these suffixes.

>Stop pretending
Bleib tschillig, Kartofl.

?????
Some countries value education, we get English starting at age 2 as a third language

>Latvian
>implying anyone has ever heard of it

Hard to judge your own native language. I've heard linguists say that it has many archaic features. So that's pretty interesting.

It does sound kind of unique, I think.

How do you pronounce the o with a ~ on it?

>Latvian
Pirmo reizi dzirdu, kur tādā runā?

English is nice enough and certainly useful in other situations but german or russian would be more useful for literature

", perkele,"

Man ir astoņas paduses.

Sie seid eine Frau.

Hahaha the guy wrote it like the english pronounce it.
Norwegians pronounce it far differently (closer to danish of course)
>Danish is what happens when a nation tries to divorce its spoken language from the written form as far as possible.
As a dane - I can confirm this. And its very odd with the "potatoes in our mouth thingy - it seems like a universal way of explaining our language... I thought it was just our fellow scandinavians making fun of us, but when travelling deeply inside russia, some russian man told me it sounds like I have a potato stuck in my throat... a potato... WHY POTATO?!? why not any other vegetable or fruit?

Dižā mūžameža eži saož mežarožu ražu, daži eži ožot snauž, daži rožu ražu grauž.

>le English language isn't the most important for literature meme

Though I admit Russian and German do come the closest to equalling it.

How so?

With pleasure. Otherwise hard to explain, as I'm not an expert. en.wikipedia.org/wiki
You got something confused there, sõber.

My home language is Afrikaans, and while it is basically a simpler form of Dutch with a few words from other languages, it can be truly beautiful at times. We have quite a lot of great prose writers and poets and sometimes it is amazing what they manage to do with the language.

Hadn't heard that one before.

I'm surprised to find a Latvian on Veeky Forums. Most of us aren't quite good enough to read anything in English.

I like german and russian literate far more than american or British

>Spanish
I adore it. It's just like Spain, Hard, slow, unappreciated, full of shit but with shining jewels here and there, real as fucking life and undeniably beautiful when spoken by a neutral Spanish and tear bringing wonderful when written by someone with a background in Spanish golden age.

That makes more sense. I thought he meant "and yet, here we are, on Veeky Forums, bastion of thinking, philosophy and community".

Do you mean to say that you enjoy literature written by Russian and German authors better than American or British authors?

I thought you meant that the Russian and German languages are better suited for literature in general.

The fact that you think "BHL" could be the best thing offered by any country at all sadly discredits your opinion

The Russian and the German literati are completely disgusting. They rarely speak more than one language and tend to be by 50 years, or so, out of the loop with what's high fashion in America and France.

German's absurd levels of autism are only good for philosophy.

This link has it with sound.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_back_unrounded_vowel
You probably won't be able to replicate it.

Yeah, but a few people out of the whole population isn't exactly much. I've encountered several Latvians here before.

Not the guy you replied to, but do you even reading comprehension?

My native tongue is from Antarctica.

Does that make you a special snowflake?

So you can say "the grass is green" and "the car is red" in a phony British accent? Good for you.

>German's absurd levels of autism are only good for philosophy.
Was genau hat der Neger im Sinn?

As have I, but I mainly met them on /int/. Veeky Forums would literally be the last place I would look.

What are your favourite books? I want to know what my fellow tracksuit wearing countrymen like to read.

Yes. Because snowflakes snow flakes.

Ding an Sich muhfugga

Do you? Henry-Levy is absolute bottom-of-the-barrel and every pseudo-intellectual piece of trash currently found in France is still better than him

You can translate that quite directly into every other language in the world. Idealist philosophers in general should translate really well since they do employ a technical jargon.

The guy you replied to was implying that he doesn't like BHL. And you decided to confront him for stating that BHL is good.

>pseudo-intellectual piece of trash
give an example for the truly intellectual non-trash found amongst the continental thinkers.

Oh sorry, I thought you did and were trying to start a conversation about that. My favorite writers are Bialik, Zelda, Yehuda Amichai, Yona Wallach, Hanoch Levin (All are poets, though Levin mostly wrote plays).
Never really tried into Hebrew novels. The Jewish Dog by Asher Kravitz was one I remember reading once and it was very nice and amusing.

English.

Fuck yes. I'm half Swiss though so perhaps I have an obligation to Swiss German. Swiss German is a disgusting language/dialect. German is OK though but I do wish I was half-something else.

what do you hold of etgar keret and amos oz? The latter one's insanely popular over here.

I used to encounter quite a few of problems trying to write or even express myself in my native language, which left me feeling quite embarassed. After this experience, I started reading my country's literature, which helped me a great deal.

Mulisch, Reve, Hermans, Claus, etc

I've been told Swiss German is very sing-song and silly.

>Swiss German is a disgusting language/dialect.
How so? I found it insanely amusing to communicate with Schweizers using pen and papers as if we spoke two random dialects from China and not Germany.
It's a disgraced that Germany is stamping out it's dialects. Each language has it's beauty.

Keret is really fun, I read three books by him and all his stories are either amusing, bitter, feely, or simply leave you with a taste on the tongue.
I never read Amos Oz so I don't have an opinion on him.
Where are you from?

A plenty of places.
See you next year in Jerusalem.