Siddartha

Short story, I suffer from major depression and one of my female doctors told me to read this book, it's a novel. Help me Veeky Forums

I read it recently and it's very well written, an immediate favorite that will definitely be read again. I would also recommend it to a struggling person.

What exactly is it you need help with?

Why did you feel compelled to specify the gender of your doctor?

Read it, don't be all to cynical while thinking about it. Overall it's a nice read.

What exactly do you want help with though?

Reading that won't hurt but no book is going to "cure" you of depression.

You need to start evaluating your lifestyle and how it might be contributing to your problem. Do you take care of your body? Eat right? Exercise? Do you do drugs? Cut out soda and junk food, hit the gym, and spend a few months sober. Don't take any anti-depressants; those are a scam. If you want a book I'll go with a cliche - Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. No book is going to make you snap out of your behavior, but they can motivate you to do something.

Siddhartha is a fantastic book and you should read it. What do you need help with specifically, though?

This guy's got it. I would also recommend pic related.

he's obviously got issues

my asian wife gave me this book as a present. you should read it OP

It felt weird to me that a doctor would recommend a patient to read a novel...

drugs, major depression, egocentrism

>tells you to read a 20th century work
>didn't first confirm if you were at the very least familiar with the Greeks
Drop her, OP

I used to suffer from a bad case of depression some years ago, largely caused by OCD symptoms that weren't really under control yet. When I was at my worst, I didn't really read anything.

When I was already getting a bit better, I read Nietzsche and that was pretty good. Thus Spoke Zarathustra, in particular, sorta gave me some sort of... will to do things.
Which really helped, as with OCD, the key thing is exposure to the things which you're avoiding / protecting yourself from (with the compulsions). So for that kind of illnesses, it might be good to read anything life-embracing in the same way as Nietzsche, you know, things that aren't really about being all peaceful and shit.

hey man novels can be medicine just as much as chemicals can be.

can you give any particular recommendation?

>It felt weird to me that a doctor would recommend a patient to read a novel...

That still doesn't explain why you needed to specify the sex of your doctor. I'm not even the person you were replying to. I'm seriously not trying to lead you into some sjw dialectic either.

Was this a real doctor?

Maybe I was just being a pleb child, but Sid seemed like a real dick to me

Chuck.

Yes, read it. What do you have to lose? You don't need us to tell you whether you have to like it or not, just find out yourself.

Maybe she has big boobs?

It's about 100 pages long. You can read the whole thing in a few hours.

Do it OP. Then go for En Route by Huysmans. It's still spiritualistic, but in a different way altogether. But be warned that it's thoroughly Christian. Catholic monastic, not humbaya nonsense singing, but still, if it's not up to you, stay away. It's not preachy at all, but it is fully about going through depression, so I guess it could help as well. And since it's also short, it helps in case you're not a good reader. I wouldn't go with it's predecessor novel first, Là-bas, since that one is specifically about depression.

Exposing yourself to good things is pretty good advice for a depressive patient, user.
Chances are you are not exposing yourself to anything at all or only moody/edgy shit.

You might want to consider getting off the internet for a while, also.
This place takes a toll...

well, duh

a doctor of feeling good about yourself and homeopathy is still being a good doctorer of docting (the act of doing what doctors do)

although you wouldn't understand, since you're not a doctor

I don't get it, what do you need help with? Just read the book

My wife's son bought this novel as a gift for my Vasectomy Day. It's a great read!

lol