Recent Purchases Thread

Post recent purchases, jerk, recommend, share, ask questions.

You should look more into redpilled literature

What's the Greek book?

I've gotten my pills all mixed up m8. Can't tell the difference anymore.

It's by Giacomo Leopardi, The Canti's translated from Italian. Poetry, he's supposed to be an italian genius of sorts or something like that, i wanted to get zibaldone as well which is a collection of all his thoughts on philosophy, math, etc. Doubt i'll understand a lot of it but great insight into a man which i know nothing of and want to learn more.

1$ books

they said I could fill a box for 5$
so I did

Nice Leopardi OP. I have been looking to cop that book for a while now. All these pessimists on Veeky Forums and no mention of Leopardi.

i can't handle used piles, they make my head swim, good pickups though.

woman you have ocd

What I've bought in the last few weeks or so.

Dude weed

what makes you say that?

This

First time I've actually gone to a used bookstore and bought random things I thought would be nice to own incase I ever have kids.

Do you guys look up/compare info on the books you buy beforehand? For example, I saw a bunch of different copies of 'Common Sense' and I started looking them up on my phone's browser but I felt like it would take too much time and be too autistic so I just chose the copy that looked nicer to me.
Sadly I didn't check 'The Politics' clearly enough because there were notes taken within it for the first chapter :( , the handwriting is really neat though and it doesn't cover up anything so I guess it could be worse. Anyone have any tips for me?

I don't look anything up because shit's so cheap anyway that I won't be pissed if it's a sub-par edition, and if there are several editions I'll just buy them all, but if you're making a habit of used bookstores and antiquaries then it's definitely worth being able to recognise publishers and editions you like
I'd say Aristotle and Thomas Paine are a find. I live in a capital city and authors like that that everyone's heard of and are in English (which everyone knows) would most likely be picked up by some undeserving philosophy major or high school student, and the true bargains are made in places where people don't know what books are worth, i.e. the country, or by contacting private sellers, and finding a widow whose husband was literary is a fucking goldmine.

But the real trick is to see if it's a female who owned the book before you because, more often than not, females do not know how to take notes in a book, and they opt for underlining fucking everything and paraphrasing what's in the text right next to the text. Pic related, I don't see why you should ruin a book like this unless you're writing your bachelor or whatever on it and are supposed to completely excoriate the story.

good lord

I started White Noise last night and there was a woman highlighting things in pink and next to a passage she literally wrote "funny."

Naturally they stop abruptly 10 pages in.

>she literally wrote "funny"
Now that's funny, this one felt the need to write something similar next to a story by fucking Mark Twain, and there's little indication that she read it (the only slight crack in the spine is exactly at the Hemingway story).

Were you even trying man, I spent like $50 in the $1 book section

more dope than heroin

I wish I lived in an English-speaking country, I can't find anything here

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is love.

New York Times isn't so bad after all.

Nice deck my man. Those trees and that shade, looks comfy.

Just got now actually:
Moby Dick-Melville
Crabwalk Gunter Grass
The French Lieutenants Woman-John Fowles
The Clinton Wars-Sydney Blumenthal
Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel-Jerome k Jerome
Middle March-George Elliot
Felix Holt: The Radical-George Elliot

Did I fuck up by getting the Wordsworth of Melville or should I just read that to see if I like it then buy a better edition, anything I should know about it or is it completely unabriged? Pretty happy with scoring the Fowles book for so cheap and is Crabwalk a decent place to start with Grass? Always been interested in his work but most people seem to suggest The Tin Drum for starters.

Also Ford Maddox Ford's Parade's End. I was torn on whether to get Crabwalk over Franzen's Strong Motion but if it is still there on Wednesday I'll probably nip in and buy it.

gorgeous

are you spanish or from latin america/mexico?
how did you manage to find this amount of used english books?

>Finding used NYBRs
Lucky, only been able to get them cheaper on Ebay. You're going to love Stoner though.

Any reccs, Veeky Forums?

sexy Canti, I want to read him when I move on to Italian from French(learning, I mean)

why'd you buy that R&J? just curious. never read any oxford shakespeares. usually just pick up the cheapo folgers or a pelican

french, holla

nice. have you cracked any open yet? i'm reading The Castle, L'Étranger, and have read the Dostoyevsky ya got there

bootiful

can't wait to hit some library sales around here. used books + kindle is bookhoarding bliss

pretty envious of that beckett edition

good taste overall too nice 1 m8

Finally got the last Gaddis and the second to last Pynchon.

>why'd you buy that R&J? just curious. never read any oxford shakespeares. usually just pick up the cheapo folgers or a pelican

I just get everything from amazon. I personally really enjoy the Oxford Shakespeare and have been re-buying a lot of my favorite plays even with owning a complete works of Shakespeare.

Picked these up from the used bookstore over the last two weeks. Wasn't a fan of the Murakami (my first of his) or Electric kool aid acid test. Starting 2666 tomorrow

putting the blurb right on the spine of 2666 is fucking gay

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is by far his worst

Start with Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

I wish I lived in an underwater base on Europa. Guess we can't possibly have what we want.

can you post some from Canti? I want to see how's the translated leopardi

>graveyard clay
>not dirty dust
you fucked up

Except for the fact that nearly everyone agrees that Graveyard Clay is the better translation.

Especially curious for Barth.

memed

do you have a single fact to back that up?

Bien le bonjour, anonyme

Kek, I'm watching Le Comte de Monte Cristo on TV as we speak.

LCDMC is unironically my favourite book. Have fun m8

oh, have you read it in french?

about twofiddy each

dig the ann beattie

Just bought this.

It cost $4.

Yeah, I'm French (this user )

But honestly The Count of Monte Cristo is very plot-driven so a translation isn't the ned of the world I guess (I'd have to take a look at the translation to make sure)

Recent acquisitions, mostly for free.

dese dudes, dude, dese desu dudes are the dudes

memes exist... ..., and you fell for them

OWC is generally the way to go but that's the edition with all the original errors intact.

>Dostoy-evsky

>Tfw ignored

I wanted to point that out as well. Disgusting

I'm really looking forward to it, it hasn't actually arrived yet

I do like OWC but they're not without fault, or rather Jeri Johnson has been proven to make omissions and glaring mistakes in her notes. At least she did for Joyce's Portrait.

Why the fuck is ben hur so small? My copy is gigantic

How the flying fuck do you get good books like those for free?

Keep finding all these NYRBs at a used book store in some generic as fuck 90s looking shopping center.

I'm an adjunct prof at two universities, and publishers will give you free books to sample if you have an upcoming course that they make sense for ("Do I want to order your Wuthering Heights for my 120 students, or Norton's? Send me a copy..."). Also, publishers send you unsolicited books in hopes of a good review in a journal (or course adoption). Because of those facts, and the endless buying/purging habits of researchers, profs are always running out of room and putting a pile of books out into cases in the department hallway, for anyone to grab. If you spend time around Eng departments, you'll amass books whether you try or not. A few of those I just bought for fun, of course.
Pictured: all acquired for free. It's the best perk to the under-paid, no-security, weird non-tenured life I lead.

This, researchers buying/being gifted and then purging books is how I've grown accustomed to getting 'new' books. It's such a solid tip it deserves to be in the sticky, even though maybe no one reads
Either that, or your campus library will likely put discontinued books out for students to pick up for free
I've lost count and have no picks, but a few gems I found this way and in different departments are a two volume complete edition of Lessing, Norton's two volume anthology of English literature, and a wide assortment of novels in different Oxford editions, like Melmoth the Wanderer in a perfect Oxford English Novels edition.
Occasionally you'll have to discard a book because of too many notes, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern in what you can expect to find at these tables with free shit as I've also found a mint condition illustrated collection of a popular national poet's works of which only 600 were printed, according to the flyleaf

have no pics*

damn that looks comfy as fuck

Amazing. I'm quite jealous.

I always die a little when I see all these fine books bought by $1.

They haven't arrived in the mail yet but I got

>Dhammapada
>The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
>Old Path, White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of Buddha
>Mindfulness in Plain English

I'm thinking about practicing Buddhism.

Well I do actually
Almost the entire top shelf I got for free this way, just not the Cambridge history of literature or the Norton Franklin and Austen

ayo sup beb