Moby-Dick

What's Veeky Forums's impression of Herman Melville and his oh-so-famous book?

One of the unquestionable GOATs

What are other unquestionable GOATS in Veeky Forums?

Illiad?

Divine Comedy
Michael Kohlhaas
Ulysses
Flowers of Evil

Moby Dick is science fiction.

What makes him so great? Why should some whale revenge tower above all else in American lit?

probably the best book ever written

Moby Dick beyond any other piece of literature besides maybe Ulysses does the near impossible; synthesizes and represents the old while illuminating the path onward to the future. As far as I'm concerned, you can divide the novel into two periods: before Moby Dick, and after

Moby Dick is the white-pill bible. It is the transcendental answer to Zapffe and co. Melville sublimated his homo lust for Hawthorne into pure agape in book form.

yeah, pretty much man. moby dick is probably the greatest work of american literature to date. its just incredibly daring and strange, every page is like a philosophy class. the book tackles so much. what is the image/original? what does it mean to be american? what is the Prime? what is a whale? what is the sea? what is the force of space and time? fucking hell if you didn't read moby dick and have your life get rearranged right before your eyes.

ever notice the whale is white like cum, the primordial ooze from which we all derive...? yeah. not a coincidence. moby dick was doing freud's work while freud was still at his mom's paps, and more!

you think you're funny but really you don't get out much.

if you didn't break into a grin upon seeing the word cum idk what to tell you mate

wut about the whole chapter about them squashing the spermaceti (whale head white stuff) together and how fun it was when there hands touched in the sperm tub....

i really liked moby dick's character in after earth :)

im a big fan of intertextuality :)

I read a few chapters. It's alright, reminds me a little of Charles Lamb's essays. The metaphysical side of it feels weak and inexact so far, but I'm willing to tolerate it if he tells a good story.

This comic is almost as autistic and try-hard as your condescending tone.

Veeky Forums newfag here, started Moby-Dicky today after finishing Lolita, just finished chapter 3.

Holy shit, does it maintain this level of comfiness throughout?

Nope

You really shouldnt have started it so early though. You need to read more to appreciate it

>comfiness
please kill this meme before it kills you

Don't listen to this faggot. I read it as my first "big boy" book and I still loved it. I plan on going back and rereading it in the future but I still got a lot out of it.

Just marathoned through the first sentence of this book. I don't get it. Who is this Ishmael guy? What kind of name is Ishmael anyway, is he an immigrant? Why is he telling me to 'call' him, what does he mean by that? Why is this so acclaimed? Just because some guy tells me to call him a name, which is his name I guess, so yeah, duh, I'm going to call you by your name, like how the fuck else am I going to get your attention, not that I want it anyway! When does it get good, Veeky Forums?