What are the best Shakespeare works to read?

What are the best Shakespeare works to read?

I really enjoyed Macbeth.

Other urls found in this thread:

shakespeareforalltime.com/plays/dates-of-the-plays/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

all are good

my personal favorites are Dido, Doctor Faustus, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and Othello

The Tempest, not Othello, sry

fuck Othello

Two of these are not liek the others

Ignore the naysayers: Hamlet is one of Shakespeare's finest.

But in truth, Shakespeare only wrote good plays. You could pick up any of them and you might enjoy it.

well yeah, Hamlet and Othello are considered two of the four """major""" tragedies, but those are just bullshit labels by hack academics

Read The Taming Of The Shrew, it doesn't receive enough love.

All's Well That Ends Well
As You Like It
Comedy of Errors
Love's Labour's Lost
Measure for Measure
Merchant of Venice
Merry Wives of Windsor
Midsummer Night's Dream
Much Ado about Nothing
Taming of the Shrew
Tempest
Twelfth Night
Two Gentlemen of Verona
Winter's Tale
Henry IV, Part I
Henry IV, Part II
Henry V
Henry VI, Part I
Henry VI, Part II
Henry VI, Part III
Henry VIII
King John
Pericles
Richard II
Richard III
Antony and Cleopatra
Coriolanus
Cymbeline
Hamlet
Julius Caesar
King Lear
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Timon of Athens
Titus Andronicus
Troilus and Cressida

JULIUS CASAER

This.

The 1953 film is great.

My sister got me king John as a gift, is it good?

yea. underrated af. it's king lear-lite in a sense but has a lot of the good ol' english history dramatization. a nice midpoint between shakes' early plays (two tetralogies) and later works (cymbeilne, lear). The Bastard is a great character.

I can't not fall for this bait.

Coriolanus is super underrated. Read the 4 great tragedies + Coriolanus for sure

A Midsummer's Night Dream has some really amazing lines. Much Ado About Nothing was really enjoyable to me.

Seriously though you should read most of them.

>Coriolanus is super underrated

I wouldn't say "super", but it's really great. I was just reading Ruskin today and he quoted some Coriolanus in talking about Shakespeare's power of imagination:

>But the metaphysician's definition [of imagination] fails yet more utterly, when we look at the imagination neither as regarding, nor combining, but as penetrating.

>"My gracious Silence, Hail:
>Wouldst thou have laughed, had I come coffin'd home
>That weep'st to see me triumph. Ah! my dear,
>Such eyes the widows in Corioli wear,
>And mothers that lack sons."

>How did Shakspeare know that Virgilia could not speak?

>This knowledge, this intuitive and penetrative perception, is still one of the forms, the highest, of imagination, but there is no combination of images here.

What order should I read Shakespeare's plays in if I intend to read through his complete works soon? Obviously the history plays in chronological order of the time period, but besides that should I go in order of when they were likely written, e.g. shakespeareforalltime.com/plays/dates-of-the-plays/

You can't really go wrong with good ol' Willie.

King Lear is my favorite though.

Tragedies -> Histories -> Comedies

Measure for Measure is my favorite. I've read all of Shake's stuff. He doesn't have a play that's not worth reading.

I know they're /highschool/ as fuck, but Hamlet and Macbeth are both great. personally I liked Macbeth way more than Hamlet though. I've only seen Coriolanus but I definitely need to go read it at some point since I've forgotten most of it. Midsummer's Night and Tempest are great as well.

I adore Taming of the Shrew, I got the highest grade for my essay arguing Petruchio was a feminist liberator topkek

Holy shit Shakespeare looked like such a tool.

>reading plays
i hope this is a meme

you're right, super was more me being hyperbolic just cause i like it a lot. I feel the same about A&C as well.

Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, and Merchant of Venice are my favorites

i know its not his "greatest" work. but its certainly my favourite.