Is there any good argument against discarding biological human body in favor of cybernetic one?

Is there any good argument against discarding biological human body in favor of cybernetic one?

deus ex: human revolution's drawbacks

cost

purity

>deus ex: human revolution's drawbacks
>purity
Explain.

purity of ?

No, not really.

But putting a bunch of chimps into such bodies is something that I'd avoid, at least in the absence of significant rewiring.

Humans are idiots; let's not enable them too much.

well in deus ex: human revolution the augments had drawbacks in that you had to take drugs for them to not get rejected by your body

the drugs of course costed money and were seemingly privatised (rates were high because the companies wanted profit [america])

and purity in that castes would develop for those with augments and those without

in deus ex the augmented humans were the higher class individuals while the unaugmented weren't

of course it can always be backwards where unaugmented humans were seen as pure and therefore have a higher social status

Flesh is sexier.

Because somebody would hack your chip :D

No, in fact I'm planning to replace part of my body (the brain) with a cybernetic one.

Isn't our clothes, computer, phone, car kind of cybernetics already?

Kind of. If you're wearing contacts, cochlear implants, pacemakers or w/e you're pretty much a cyborg.

fuck this picture triggers me.

I just want to sand the fuck out of it.

How the fuck am I supposed to asses the worth of a fictional technology?

>"Are there any arguments against flying cars?"
>"Uhh, They're too hot or something? How the fuck should I know ?"

Are you retarded?

No I just don't see how this argument can be discussed in any meaningful way. People will just point out hypothetical drawbacks and other people will just hand wave them by saying 'well yeah but the technology will get better :^)"

This is my goal in life, really. I'll be saving money for a full synthetic body replacement, then doing piece-by-piece replacement of that good ol' grey matter with implants, Ship of Theseus style.

This is assuming that the risks are worth the reward; I would not risk my consciousness being erased and recreated in a single 'upload' into an artificial brain, for example. Making backup copies once my brain is fully converted is another matter, though.

I would also not be willing to have a cybernetic body that I can't repair or upgrade myself (or with robotic assistance), using tools I can purchase and use at home - internal, automatic self-repair would also be acceptable.

Finally, being able to last for up to a week without any available power source is a must.

Presuming that the future presents what I have in mind, I see no reason to limit oneself to a vessel that is easily damaged or killed, prone to disease, requires significant resources to maintain, and has a very short lifespan when put in the context of geological and cosmic events.

>of course it can always be backwards where unaugmented humans were seen as pure and therefore have a higher social status
Realistically, any kind of 'aug' would, once available, be available only to those that have a significant amount of money.

No prizes for guessing what kind of social status you have if your wallet is well endowed.

I really don't see this happening within the lifetime of anyone on this board, but I guess if I could I would settle for some sort of brain in a vat scenario. I have no interest in a cyborg body, though, I would just chill in the vat and shitpost directly using a neural-computer interface.

wow. what a brainlet way to look at it

How can I trust experimental man-made mechanisms over tried-and-true nature-made flesh? You should always have backups. I'd rather we focused on mind replication, then we can make multiple robot bodies for our minds and live forever. But then I fear that that could turn into a hell; imagine an error occurred and your mind is trapped forever, alone.

It is clear that all technology follows an increasing curve of risk vs reward. Creators are either masters of their tools, or they are consumed by them. There are certainly upgrades to be made, but most of you can walk the full circumference of this rock - is that not enough? Do not grow lazy and forgetful of your own innate capacities. You're pretty amazing already!

1.) a cybernetic body might have significant drawbacks under certain circumstances that we are as of yet unaware of

2.) It might be incredibly expensive to build in individual humans that which we might be able to genetically convince our bodies to create on their own

2.a.) It would not be possible to pass on to offspring one's cybernetic implants, at least not from birth

>buzzwords

Maybe you're the "brainlet" here. Sorry for not discussing inane popsci hypotheticals but I thought this was the science board and not the Carl Sagan amateur hour.

death

Fuck off from this thread then.