I want to go into engineering but I'm not sure which field. Mechanical, chemical, electrical etc. What should I go into?

I want to go into engineering but I'm not sure which field. Mechanical, chemical, electrical etc. What should I go into?

Why do you want to be an engineerfag? The answer to that question will probably help guide you into a specific field.

If the answer is money, just stop right now and get a business degree.

>but Elon Musk said I should be an engineer

desu i just want money

Get a degree in physics if you want to be close to technology focus on applied physics.
Engineers are literally glorified technicians with no actual knowledge. Their training and knowledge are essentially on par with blue-collar workers compared to a physicist.

Not true whatsoever

Then you will fail everywhere. Without passion there is no motivational force.

Money is a pretty big motivational force

Really? A physicist can beat an engineer in everything. Engineering classes are like a lunch break for physicists.

This has to be bait

It's true though, m8.

They're the kind who writes data to the eeprom every time the code is booted.

Undergrad

Yes, engineers do that due to zero understanding of the subjects. Microcontrollers are too hard for engineers to comprehend.

Software engineer. Best field and hardest.

>Software engineer
>Hard
Holy fucking shit. OMFG. It's the best bait yet. It's not even engineering m8, it's for stupid people.

Good luck being a teacher with your mememathics "degree". Don't worry, I will be sure to replace your job with a robot.
Being a software engineer is a challenge.

>be ok with doing relatively mindless work
>less chances to seriously fuck something up
>don't engineer shit
>with ten+ years experience make 120k
>do better then 97% of the people I went to high school with
>raise a family with a 7.5/10 qtpie asian who makes good money too
>travel the globe
>live the upper class american dream

I one thought id be engineering shit, inventing shit "yeah man ill be like in the mechanicum in warhammer 40k" "I'll invent something and be remembered!" lol nah

I am seriously fucking alright with this

>this entire thread
Fucking seriously, guys? Engies are the lowest form of life. I tutored engineering physics in undergrad and it's not even close to challenging compared the corresponding physics class for actual physicists.
Engineering is a joke that leads to a cubicle job.

I want to build robo waifus.

Better than physics which lands you no job. xD

The physics parts, sure, but there's more to it than that. Engineering is part physics & materials science, part manufacture & design. Your average physicist can't design for shit. S/he can get an optimal design, sure, but not one that works around the availability of capital, real-world safety risks, and marketability to the consumer.

To put it another way, we bring physics forward by making idealizations. Physicists can make idealizations that engineers cannot, and that's fine. It's just how each trade works.

As a mechanical engineer undergrad who's about to start his 3rd year before his masters, is on track to get a first and has had internships the past few summers I totally know or knew people like this on my course who just trundled along doing bare minimum. But it sure as shit isn't exclusive to engineering. I was talking to a girl doing physics at a university in the next city over and she couldn't solve a forced second order differential equation that exhibited resonance. Also most medics in my country are in it for the money and constantly whine or protest about long hours in their f1 or f2 before they become actual doctors, tough shit senpai

I want to be an engineer because I love sucking dicks! I just can't get enough of them. I'll even suck yours right now. I'll even pay YOU to let me suck your dick.

>xD
Opinion discarded
You're right that it's not exclusive, but I've NEVER met an engie in it for a reason other than the money, and most engies I know say physics is "too haaard!". Nobody transfer into engineering from physics and finds it too difficult.

>not getting a degree in geoscience engineering
>not being four engineers in one
>not getting scouted by oil companies before you're even out of school
>not having a program which trains you to be a PE

It's like you fags hate money

I dunno man I live a pretty ok life. I work as a civil engineer

I guess it depends on how your universities 2 programs stack up to one another. I'll admit the money would be nice but in it more for the fact that I really like designing shit. I'm looking forward to my masters in mechatronics. I've never found physics particularly hard past A level but it'd just a case if I'd rather be working in industrial R&D or somethonga little more hands on than exclusively lab work. Are you studying in USA? I've heard that engineerinh trunking there is more like advanced technician training in most schools

It seems as if most people posting aren't physicists or engineers, just students...

I guess this is full of bait, but ill bite.

In the real worl (ie. outside academia), employers hire people to make them money. If your business lies in making novel wifi dildos, you will want a rf engineer to design the circuit board, a mechanical engineer for the penis cad and so forth.

Noone will hire you to read papers and discuss quantum gravity outside of your uni hugspace.

>Noone will hire you to read papers and discuss quantum gravity outside of your uni hugspace.

How can I contact this Noone? I am a physicist looking for a job.

Mostly, yeah. There's one trip who's managed to show published post-grad research and a little bit of life advice from engineers generally saying that uni is the hardest part of life if you went to any institution worth its salt.

If someone really knows their shit here, they tend to ramble about their subject instead of waving their e-peen around like a lot of us do here.

Better than physics which lands you no job

What a fucking retard.

>buzzwords
should've gone for a marketing degree buddy

>>buzzwords
And engineering is about all of those things. You see why the concept sells itself.

nuclear

>i'm a physicist, so physicists are masterrace
are you a teacher? because that's the only job that physicists could get
stay mad, pleb

>Nobody transfer into engineering from physics and finds it too difficult
I transferred to Georgia Tech engineering from physics. It's a real bitch compared to the physics curriculum.

I'm in the same boat OP, the people I've talked to say that computer science is the best way to actually do interesting shit when you graduate. If you actually just want to make money, find a really specific field like aerospace or bioengineering since you'll have the best chance of getting a great job out of college

dont bother with engineering then.

dont even bother with college.

get a job and start investing everything in stocks and make bank.

What kind of grades do I need for chemical engineering?

I want money and I'm passionate about data, programming, computers - studying science as a layman is what I do with all my free time, I'm actually addicted to w/e I'm passionate about and I invest all my energy until I figure it out.

I've come to realization life is short and I desire money, I do not know yet what should I channel all my force into.

It will never fail to amuse me how asshurt Veeky Forums can get regarding engineering.

Just be smart enough to conjure the dicks of managers

its not a surprise. very few people actually of age to be searching for jobs here were told by their counselors in high school "if you want to make good money and like math, go into engineering". hell, i didnt even fucking like math in high school, i despised it and now I'm competent enough that i passed calc 2 with an A.

Now that our degrees are over, we cant go back. If we could do it all over again many of us might. I'm lucky enough to be in a PhD program where I can pick up some engineering skills and get into a relevant field, but i cant imagine not going to grad school with my pure science degree.

its a rough time my friend. watching all your buddies who studied engineering get awesome jobs at 22 while you have 5 more years of school / research ahead of you.

>2015 SAT scores

None of the students on the new SAT metric have yet graduated, so there's no success rate associated with this chart, making the numbers out to be a pretty fuzzy indicator.

>tfw im higher than all these bitches
kekorino desu senpai

i think we can all agree

mechanical: become a mechanic, build cars all day

chemical: become a pipesmith or possibly a pipelord (if your lucky), build and optimize pipes of various sizes

electrical: become an electrician who enjoys math, do partial DE's all day, end up also majoring in comp sci because it is mandatory to get an actual EE job.

materials: become a jobless scrub because the field is already dominated by chemists and SS physics majors

aerospace: become a light weight translucent foam and resonate with the octaves of the sun, ascend reality

that's not okay
you wouldn't kill your dog because it was less intelligent, would you