Soo.... how the fuck do mountains happen? You can't honestly tell me this was an accident

Soo.... how the fuck do mountains happen? You can't honestly tell me this was an accident.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mountains explained for kids
physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2011/jul/19/radioactive-decay-accounts-for-half-of-earths-heat
youtube.com/watch?v=c6wuh0NRG1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Earth's crust pushing up against itself. Think this way. Imagine a ball, and cover that ball with a cloth. It will have very small rinkles, but if that ball were the size of the earth, the rinkle's would looks so big as to be the size of mountains.

evolution

I'm listening, go on.

Convection in the molten mantle of the earth shifts tectonic plates. Where they collide, rock is pushed upwards, forming mountains. Its not an accident, its elementary geology.

Ummm could you maybe speak English

Ground pushes against self, makes big wrinkles

Is that what convection is?

Convection is what causes the shifts. Convection is the moving (raising and lowering) of molten rock inside the earth.

google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mountains explained for kids

But why is the rock moving, is it because of our spin? Would that rock cool down if the Earth stopped moving?

>But why is the rock moving
convection

I mean why is the molten rock moving?

because of differences in densities. as the more hot molten rock heats up, it rises, and the less hot molten rock sinks back down, and it continues in a cycle

Maybe a bad question, but what keeps the rock molten? Is it friction, or is there no heat loss over time?

but if its packed so tightly in there then how does it move?

the rock is molten. liquid is not like a solid, it's free to move and flow, unlike solids

but why is it molten?

its still hot from when the earth formed.

Slow slidey rock go boom boom then mountain

The world is hollow, and shrinking. Land crinkles up.

god wanted to impress you. :D!

do you really believe that?

He's wrong anyway. About 20% of the heat comes from pressure and the rest is radioactive elements in the earth breaking down

It's half-true

physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2011/jul/19/radioactive-decay-accounts-for-half-of-earths-heat

pressure + heat of the inner earth
also radioactive decay is a source of heat but only for like ~100km of the crust
mountains are also formed due to plate tectonics thickening up crust
huge mass on ductile mantle-> mountains #
check isotasy

>tfw I want to experience an earthquake, but I have to rely on isostatic adjustment

youtube.com/watch?v=c6wuh0NRG1s
Skip to 3:20 to answer your question

>a pile of rocks
>ONLY A GOD COULD DO THIS!!

so where are there mountains actively growing instead of just eroding?

the Himalayas are actually still growing. Some mountains might possibly reach the absolute maximum of height in many many years