Smartest person you ever met

Not necessarily related to knowledge, like a professor making connections easily and recognizing patterns quickly. Something on the lines of IQ.

Father.

me

's dad

's mom

The definitely was able to recognize my pattern quickly if you know what I'm saying.

Well there was this one kid who would never stutter and always knew his physics shit. He understood it well enough to teach in a calm enough voice without ever having to defend his intelligence. He was a typical nerd but was socially popular around his small group of friends

i have never met anyone smart

even the smart people i know are not smart

As of yet, haven't met any "genius" smart people.

But bump for interest.

My grandmother.

are you American? maybe thats why

I'm not smart enough to know whether I have met someone smart, but I'm sure stupid enough to know when someone is being stupid.

My diff. top. professor last semester.

Why him?

My uncle's IQ is 165

I havent saw his work on this planet...

Maybe one of your heroes, called Riddick :D

Nope, never met anybody smart. This is what I get for majoring in computer engineering.

tl;dr engineers are fucking retarded

sheldon cooper

He publishes some interesting stuff on Kähler-Einstein Geometry.

That's almost as lazy as choosing Calabi-Yau manifolds. Get out of your comfort zone.

How is working on Calabi-Yau 's lazy? They have have very interesting properties, and not just from the analytic perspective but also the arithmetic perspective.

A particular model theorist/number theorist/algebraist/analyst/algebraic geometer at my university, Prof. Scanlon. (He contributes to all those fields through model theory.) Took a class from him in geometric stability theory. There are many brilliant mathematicians at Berkeley, but this guy was just scary. I remarked on it to a friend, and he had the same impression and likened Scanlon's intelligence to more alien than human. I don't really have any anecdotes, but the sheer flawlessness of his two-hour proofs and the way that, during seminars, he would immediately understand and then volunteer new results during the speaker's lecture, or help them out if they stumbled because he was already three steps ahead. His understanding and contributions to every major discipline of mathematics remains secondary to how he is in person. Other professors have made greater contributions to their niches, but as far as scope or alacrity of intellect is concerned, if I've met a genius it's he.

I go to the top university in my country for physics and have the misfortune of not really being top material so like half the people I meet are just absurdly smart in comparison , feels bad man.

nah australian

It's not that hard, bro. You just gotta be a little less retarded. Try it sometime.

Meet plenty of smart people on the internet.

Everyone irl is a fucking retard by comparison.

My dad was pretty smart, too bad he became an insane alcoholic trying to find a system to win on betting on horse races.

There was someone exactly like that in my math class. The one at my school took dance classes on fridays

I picture you writing this with a stick up your ass. I've spent the past five years at a school generally considered to be more pretentious than others, but this post takes the cake.

Probably my tutor. Guy started university aged 15, now works at oxford

me

/thread

>computer engineering
>real engineering

Choose one

One guy I met while drunk. He was able to counter my arguments in a debate, something I never saw before of after. I dont debate now since Idgaf about shit.

My uncle, prestigious physicist, but has a wealth of knowledge beyond his field of expertise. Also incredibly charismatic and funny.

> knowing what computer engineering is
> you
Pick one

It's either me or a kid named Dominic. The difference is I can make social connections and be fine with someone saying my name, but I can't recite everything I've ever read.

guy who went to my HS, he was ahead in every IB class and slept (essentially).

truth be told, he just went to an elementary school where they gave enough attention to better students (he did most of grade 9 and 10 math in 7th/8th grade) and had good, involved parents

public elementary schools truly are a cancer, especially living in a city with no middle schools

I am smarter than every person I ever met

Jesus Christ

I know; this board has gone to shit!

This if I'm being perfectly honest even though I would never imply it irl.

The more deeply I get to know my advisers the slower their minds seem. I used to be in awe of them, they are by far the smartest faculty at this university and I dreamed about working with them as an undergrad. When I first started their insights seemed both brilliant and experienced.

However, as I track their careers and learn more about them it's not just the usual aging where they became experienced practitioners with deteriorated plasticity, but they were slower in learning fields at my age and they didn't crystalize nearly as much as they should've. They never had truly brilliant insights, they have "the spark" and they are world class researchers, but nothing like what the leaders in our field produce every 5 years or so.

Other grad-students here are fucking retarded, as are most other faculty members.

Hopefully my next department will have lots of people way smarter than me. I'm honestly a bit sickened by myself with how humble I am, whenever people compliment me and ask me if I think anyone in our department is as smart as I am and I have to lie to keep myself from eventually being ostrasized.

I'm sure literally everyone feels the same way I do though.

>has a wealth of knowledge beyond his field of expertise. Also incredibly charismatic and funny.
Most people in academia are like this in my experience.

And Walter O'Brien was easily able to do it. Well, him and whoever works for ConciergeUp

Shittier version of EE

>le Americans are dumb meme
What a clever boy.
Did you get reflected from one of our top schools in the world, or are you just mad because we outdo the rest of the world in scientific papers twice over?

This is top bait, you do know almost all of your scientific papers are written by smart immigrants? And thats because theres a huge shortage of actual intellectuals in America.

You do know that that's not true and you're deluding yourself because you've let an anime image board on the Internet be the only thing that informs your opinion, right?

Knew a kid in middle school with legitimate savant level memory if that counts.
Would necessarily call him a genius, but he could quote books, movies, tv shows word for word, and could remember a million random facts about any subject.

*Wouldn't

That's nuts. I wish I could do that.

>me

>Academics
>Charismatic

My ex

> He doesn't know about the H1b

Two guys in prep classes.
One was a typical nerd, the other was more like this aristocratic kind of person who just does everything well, including being friendly and funny.

Both were brilliant, it was a wonder in practice sessions to see them just pick a problem and find the answer so incredibly fast.
Both equally smart, they ranked 42nd and 43rd on national exams for Polytechnique.

My pet slave.

2/10

Myself

>"no, no, I haven't let an ancient chinese moving pictures board inform my opinions!"
>spouts out le foreigners are taking our jobs meme

>not thinking you're an unappreciated genius
Why even bother?

You're probably a smart guy.