SPACEX LAUNCH THREAD (JCSAT-16)

Launch is at 05:26AM UTC (01:26AM EDT)

The payload is a KU/KA-band geostationary satellite. It's a heavy bird, so 1st stage landing will be quite difficult.

Watch at:
spacexstats.com
youtube.com/watch?v=OERDIFnFvHs

Press Kit:
spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/spacex_jcsat16_press_kit.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QZTCEO0gvLo
youtube.com/watch?v=SZQY902xQcw
shitelonsays.com/transcript/elon-musk-and-the-giving-pledge-2012-05-21#quote_-304447912
waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html/3
twitter.com/astro_g_dogg/status/755854198491578368
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

meme

alright space

Live in Florida- love to watch launches live- never gets old.

How clear is it there? I have a friend who is there for the week and I wonder if he can see the shower tonight at like 1:00

We had severe thunderstorms today at around sixish. The sky is clear now, so great weather for a launch. I live next to disney and can view the rocket launch very clearly. Long as you're within 400 km of Kennedy you will be able to see very clearly.

Apollo 13 is on TNT right now, perfect way to pass the time

I'M READY

that dog is right though

O shit, I thought it was tomorrow night. glad i checked before going to bed. :)

What have Blu actually done? All I ever hear is they're selling New Shepard tickets to celebs

i wonder how many engineers Musk is going to assault if this thing crashes

I live about 30 minutes west of the Cape. Should I drive over and watch the launch from 10 miles away?

They are working on a stage by stage basis

They have successfully flown and landed their 1st stage like 5 times now.

Then they will have some crewed flights under their belt....

Then they release their 2nd stage, which allows for getting the capsule into orbit

Plus, they have the best rocket engine engineers in the industry. ULA is buying their next engine

Yes

Plus you get to see the Perseus meteors

I actually drove out to a dark site about 3 hours away a few years ago with a couple friends. They were all gigantic fucking faggots about it despite me telling them it was a 3 hour drive, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. The place was a 0 or 1 on the Bortle scale and it was fantastic.

I just don't know where I'd park to watch the launch. I have some time to drive around, I suppose. I'll update with either photos or video if at all possible because space.

Drive as far as you can on 529 till you get to the gate. Also cops are assholes if you pull over to watch the launch.

obligatory meme post

>only linking technical stream
youtube.com/watch?v=QZTCEO0gvLo
Funky space music already started

STARTING

All systems go
lets do this autistms

Mission control doesnt look very crowded

no dragon = no need for the dragon tech people

starting to get old hat (also after hours in Hawthorne)

is this a relaunch of a landed falcon 9 first stage?

nein

god damn it i want them to keep up there stupidly fast progress. I want to watch elons smug fucking look when he is reusing rockets every single week and all of his competitors are failing to even get contracts.

Why are they being pussy and not lunching a landed falcon?

We all do, user, we all do.

Wound up at a hotel right at the coast. I'd post a picture, but potato phone. I'm about 10 miles away with a clear view of SLC-40.

can you imagine if he sticks to his word and starts landing dragon capsules full of shit on mars, launches a new rocket every week and eventually starts building an interplanetary ship in orbit.

They are lowering the strongback

Thanks bro that was hard to see

They're doing like 10 full length test burns on them.

youtube.com/watch?v=SZQY902xQcw

next step: SpaceX generation ships heading toward the newly discovered planet around Alpha Centauri

ONE MINUTE

LIFTOFF

why do the two broadcasts have different speeds?

one is in km/s and one in m/s

max Q

STAGE SEPARATION

i'm ready to lead humanity into glorious interstellar war. I can't wait to raze planets and burn ayy lmaos to ash with nuclear fire.

30 minute drive: worth it. Found a good spot. Quite pleased.

OH MY GOD

RIP

They did it!

bullseye

GET FUCKED

Dubs for elon is god

ONNAPAD

good job trump

Is it the same rocket/ship?

NOT TODAY

no/yes

Thank you based Elon

Hidden compartment trick?

"remember guys the primary mission is the delivery of the payload"

i'm so sick of hearing this. no one cares about putting shit in space we have been doing that for 70 years and have complete confidence in their ability to do it. i just want to see them land shit or go places.

Thank you based Elon

Thank you based Elon

thank you based elon

They dont want to piss off their customers

They have to say that for their customers

Thank you based Elon

I just turned 18.
How likely is it that I will die on Martian soil?

With this launch, they broke their own record of number of launches per year: 8th so far of a planned 18, compared to 7 last year.

Thank you based Elon

Depends if "on impact" counts

not very unless you work for it every day

What are the chances on both? (It counts/it doesnt)

Another succesfull landing ? Cue the memes.

>kek

Do you have lots of money

Or,

Will you have lots of money in 40 years

If you have to say "how much" you won't have enough

"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." - Elon Musk

shitelonsays.com/transcript/elon-musk-and-the-giving-pledge-2012-05-21#quote_-304447912

no the primary mission is to expose people to alien craft so they can record them and leak to the rest of us
musk knows this, or at least has considered it.

Looking at SpaceX's evolution in less than 10 years I dont think you would need millions to visit Mars in +30 years

According to based Peter Thiel, Elon actually isn't that big of a fan of Star Trek; he thinks that it's 'communist' and much prefers the 'capitalist' Star Wars.

Elon says 500k

But that's elonspeak

elon said it will probably cost the net worth of an upper middle class american adult. so you could sell your car and house and everything you own and move to mars with just a backpack. I'm sure there will be scholarships to educated and transport needed people to mars. so you could get training as a technician or doctor or something and get a free ride to mars. once they have people actually living there it will become a profitable thing to send more people and the price will go down.

i am 24 and have no applicable skills but i fully expect that i will stand on either the moon or mars at some point in my life.

>TFW no Based Tim Urban :(
waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html/3

they need to go to a video feed from a support ship, to stream/record landings. the barge camera feed always goes out.

twitter.com/astro_g_dogg/status/755854198491578368

>tfw Elon hires Chris Hadfield
>He leads the first Red Dragon crew
>makes a video for Life On Mars

SpaceX making it look easy again! Perfect launch, perfect landing, perfect deployment.

this image was not needed today!

you may stand on mars, but not because of space-x.
ayy lmao
when the truth is revealed, look back to this shitty site and see that /x/ was right all along.
(ok well not /x/ per se, because they're fucking retards)

Won't we have quite advanced robots in, say, 20 years when this would really be kicking off?

If he plans to have the first human landing in 2025 (and let's assume for the sake of argument that he's not being overly optimistic and say that it actually does happen in 2025) I would imagine that the first few years would be spent setting up and scaling up the really basic fundamentals that would be needed to sustain life; making sure there were adequate and reliable sources of water, making sure that the habitat was safe and effective, making sure that enough food could be grown in greenhouses on Mars and so on.

I would've thought they'd spend at least 5 years with a relatively small outpost and testing everything relentlessly to be sure that it was safe enough that many people would be willing to go and live there permanently.

So I would think that real 'colonisation' efforts would occur no sooner than 2030.

A number of experts in AI are convinced that strong AI could be developed in the late 2020s; if that occurs, surely we'll need fewer people to do the really hard and unpleasant work of reconstructing an entire planetary industrial base on mars? I can't imagine many people would want to become miners or smelters on Mars; so we could use robots instead. This would also radically reduce the need for food and shelter space; and they could work in much harsher environments than humans could.

I'm not sure we'll need that many humans there, really. Personally I'd rather let the robots do the hard work for a few decades and then maybe pop over once things are relatively comfortable.

At the smallsat conference this week
the spacex milf lady asked the audience

Who here would drop everything, go to Mars and never come back?

About 5% of the audience raised their hands

Think of how many people who could pay for a 3 mil ticket would pay for it.....

Lol, Elon Musk will own all of the houses in america, weird

yeah but but someone has to fix those robots and tell them what to do. Also lets say it is 2030 and there is an outpost running robots on mars building the infrastructure for a city. thats less then 14 years from now. lets say they don't have the city up and running until 2045
i'd still only be 53. By 2045 we will also have huge advancement in medical technology. It's likely that people alive today will far outlive any humans before them. we may start seeing people nearing 200 years old soon. at the very least we will be seeing 80 years olds with 30 year old bodies.

I would.

>Elon, if you lurk Veeky Forums after every succesfull landing for fap material, I volunteer for a one way ticket to Mars

>we may start seeing people nearing 200 years old soon
quotation needed

longevity has been stuck at 120 for a very long time, medical geneticists have no idea how to outrun the hard wired limit of biological senecenes