Can you tell me Veeky Forums:

Can you tell me Veeky Forums:

- what resources are we running out
- what resources we are not running out of
- what resources we have alternatives for

I can find little about it except for that book I've read.

Other urls found in this thread:

worldwildlife.org/threats/water-scarcity
worldometers.info/
moroccobusinessnews.com/Sectors/Energy_Mining.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> Running out of
clean water

> Not running out of
humans

> alternatives for
creating energy from non renewable energy sources, i.e. countries that turn into wind/sun/hydro etc..

We are not running out of clean water
We are running out of white humans
Energy is not a resource.

I don't think we're running out of any resource. If one resource becomes more scarce, its price will increase and substitutes will become more attractive.

I can't think of any one thing that we really need that we're running out of.

It's actually quite unfortunate as I would love to see the end of civilization in my day. It would be very interesting to observe.

World wide freshwater is, and has become rare in many many regions over the world, it's a big-big-problem
worldwildlife.org/threats/water-scarcity

Energy as a physical concept is not a resource as it is, but the sources we use to produce energy is.

You are allowed to use your head.

worldometers.info/

13,625 Days to the end of oil (~37 years)

If only we could turn humans in to clean water

running out of helium and some rare metals like the stuff used in Gorilla glass, I forget what it's called. And oil, obviously.

*Dumbest post of the day award*

He's right though

Just found this online:

"If you are wondering what chemistry has to do with
smartphones, just look at the periodic table. Of the 83
stable (nonradioactive) elements, at least 70 of them
can be found in smartphones! That’s 84% of all of the
stable elements."

OP here. What about phosphorus. The book I've read talked about that in particular and some rare metals yea.
Also in India there were mobsters killing eachother over sand for concrete. Ain't we running out of that too? (Only a particular sand can be used I've heard)

in attempting to give someone else the reward, you accidentally gave it to yourself.
congratulations on your prize

There's this site you might like, it's called Google.

freshwater
arable land (farmland)
coal, oil, natural gas
forest land (timber)
mineral deposits
fish populations
wildlife populations

>I don't think
>I can't think
...aaand there's the problem.

>in attempting to deflect the award
>(not "reward" you nitwit)
>you accidentally revealed yourself
>to be the recipient of the award
congratulations on your prize

I'm glad we're running out of coal and natural gas. It's about time me moved to renewable energy.

until we make a 3D printer that can harness quantum physics to create matter out of mass less particles, everything can be considered a finite resource

>running out of
rare earths

>solution
end the III-V meme and keep silicon

>what resources are we running out
time

>what resources we are not running out of
space

>what resources we have alternatives for
nothing

Yea true, and helium.

>running out of coal and natural gas
lol kiddo
keep fantasizing.

What an idiot.

Even worse.

Phosphate specifically

Morocco has 75% of the world's supply of phosphate rock

moroccobusinessnews.com/Sectors/Energy_Mining.asp

Luckily the arab spring didn't continue into Morocco or else we would all be out of food

Humanity is consuming a lot of phosphate for crops and I'm pretty sure at this point nobody is producing it

Maybe not a problem in the coming 50 years considering we still have a fuckton left, but eventually we will run out

Then again if Morocco becomes defunct, China will bump up their prices - like those fuckers did for rare earth metals - and food will become more expensive around the world.

In 2012 Morocco mined 13,74 % of phosphate.

So no, we wouldn't all be out of food if they stopped.

Depends on at what area you are looking. In the European Union that number is closer to 30%

also

compulsive denialfag

There's been a lot of work in desalinization although purification is still difficult. I'm working on trying to make a protein filter for salt. Another chick managed to make a desalinization procedure that produces electricity.

How long is our soil going to last?

Wonder about that too. Especially with phosphate being potentially depleted. (I hope I understood that right)

>CTRL+F helium

Nice work anons.

The fucking burgers' squandring of the helium supply they built up for short-sighted fiscal purposes will be remembered as one of the greatest fuck-ups in the history of humanity.

Depends. The sort of intensive farming we do is amazingly bad for it, and its not really renewable. Fertilizer slows the damage down, it doesnt reverse it. Then again rice paddies for example are basically self sustaining and last for ever

Modern no-till farming practices, if they are implemented properly, will keep our soil good to go for a long time.

Also, there is plenty of potash available for mining up in Canada, that shit is good for what ails the dirt.

We are fine for the forseeable future.

rice paddies are also enormously labor intensive and hugely space inefficient. given this they do not actually come close to supporting world population. even china imports over 25% of it's food now, and many of their citizens are still starving. intensive agriculture isn;t any better, adn leads to long term problems with soil quality, but it's the only method dense enough to gaurentee food supply, outside of some dramatic improvements in hydroponics

Rare earth metals.
Arable land.
Fresh Water.

No biggie. By bacteria, pathogen or virus, the species is increasingly at risk proportional to population size, density, poverty, education, and artificial influences from pharmaceutical use. It is nearly a certainty that the human population will be reduced drastically given the likelihood today and all trends pointing to continuance. Massive percentages will die off again, as they have numerous times before. When enough die, infrastructure fails fairly quickly, resource consumption drops again. Shit happens, user.

Also, Fish. As soon as you look into what the fishing industry has been dealing with, the decades of now total depletion of the global fish stocks, dead zones, catastrophic reef die-off (where most of the ocean fishes food stock comes from), their & fisheries scientists & marine biologists last decade of dire warnings turning into pants-shitting begins to make sense.

>Running out of
Petroleum
>Not running out of
PET plastic
>what resources we have alternatives for
car gasoline, biofuel seems promising, but expensive. On the other hand, we have petroplants whose essential oils contain pretty long chains of alkanes.

Decent people.

Can't we fix this by simply genociding a lot of humanity in Asia and Africa?

>- what resources are we running out
nothing
>- what resources we are not running out of
everything
>- what resources we have alternatives for
everything

>What resources are we running out of
Biological life

>What resources we are not running out of
Space for the universe

>What resources we have alternatives for
Nothing.

We doomed.

Sure that would solve 99% of Humanity's problems, but then you have to listen to the libfags complain about it for all eternity.

I'd say mass sterilization is the better route... Does not involve actually killing anybody, but it ensures that the next generation doesn't have such a clusterfuck to deal with.

Save some jizz and eggs and respawn them after we figure out the important stuff (or not if you don't want to refuck the glorious utopia we'd have built)

This is the truest answer in this thread.

A fucking Science board
Where people think that "running out of clean water" is an actual issue
WEW LAD

Mass sterilization is already in place, and it's automatic. That's why you'll never reproduce.

>It's actually quite unfortunate as I would love to see the end of civilization in my day. It would be very interesting to observe.

Get a one way ticket to Libya or Syria.

in practice biofuel production depends heavily on petroleum

If you actually believed that, you could invest in helium reserves and sell them later and much higher price.

You're implicitly assuming people just leave money lying on the ground by not doing this.

The truth is, your assumptions are wrong. Helium speculation is not lucrative because we're not running out of it.

That's too local. The truly epic thing to live through would be the collapse of the world civilization, Fallout style.

Nah you probably be like damn that was fast.

It only takes 3 days for society to breaks; hunger, violence, and rape. Order is lost for a sort amount of time until small groups forms, factionalism happens, and then the rest is repeated human history.

If you're talking Fallout in mass extinction, no life of humans and probably animals. Everything is dead.

Personally I would like to see the opposite of what you want. I want to see what happens when human civilization reaches its peak. Stop aging, stop diseases, no longer worry about death, stop entropy in the universe to make it run forever, create a sun when we need it or whatever else. Science has made all things come true.

I wonder if we will sit down on some advance form of internet and just shitpost all day and continue like we've been doing for an eternity, and hang out with senpai when we will feel like it for an eternity. (Which imo sounds pretty comfy)

>- what resources are we running out
Hard working people
>- what resources we are not running out of
Stupidity and human parasites
>- what resources we have alternatives for
Humans > machines

>stop entropy in the universe to make it run forever
If there's one thing I truly believe in, it's the second law of thermodynamics.

>Stop aging, stop diseases, no longer worry about death
Yeah, that's not dystopic at all. Eternal misery for everyone.