You are what you pretend to be

I just realized that two of my favorite novels, Mother Night and The Postman, are very similar.
A man pretends to be something that he's not, but since his actions effect other people and intentions don't matter, they become defined by what they pretended to be, not who they were on the inside

Are there any other books like that?

Haven't read the novels you're mentionning, but from your description of them, I'd advise reading the following : The Vatican Cellars, by André Gide.

is the postman actually a good book?

that greentext story about the movie Drive

Nah

I don't identify with this need:

"I saw/read/listened to this. I want more of the same."

It's kind of like a right wing artistry: trying to surround yourself with as much homogenized work as possible.

I suppose it gives a nice feeling? Like you're protected from work you don't like as much? Like you've built a barrier to keep others out. All in the vain attempt to be comfy, feel safe and be secure.

This is aberrant behavior. Seems paranoid, based in emotional fear.

>my favorite novels, Mother Night and The Postman
>Mother Night

That books was awful user. You need to go back

I don't think it's a matter of right vs left but I agree that it's a sterile sort of literary dead-end.

That's why it's called an analogy.

*pats head*

It kinda stumbles a bit in the second half, but beyond that, yeah

what? So if you read a book by a new author and you like it, you wouldn't read another book by that author ever?

>If you've read one book by an author, you basically get the gist of all of the rest of their books.

ok.

I'm literally arguing the opposite of that. The guy I quoted is the one saying that The Postman and Mother Night are the same book and wanting to read more books featuring a theme they share is based on fear

I guess you failed.

Take it like a man.

Why are you patting your head?

To tempt anons in attempting "cute" responses that will fall miserably short.

First he pats his head, then he rubs his belly, when he finally gets good enough at doing each separately he'll try doing both at the same time

I wish I had a qt Veeky Forums bf

I wish you were my friend

If wishes and buts were clusters of nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola.

Eh, I thought it was an attempt at being condescending

Never!

No it wasn't. It was incredibly moving. How can you reach that ending and not feel what he's feeling in a powerful way without weapons-grade autism?

>everyone should have the same response

Fan of Data from Star trek?

Different responses are one thing, but flat-out saying Mother Night was awful is wrong

Let us know the scale, so we can comply.