Why is it that when we ingest psychedelic drugs we can perceive a range of colors that should not and can not exist?

Why is it that when we ingest psychedelic drugs we can perceive a range of colors that should not and can not exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have done a LOT of psychedelic drugs, never once experienced "a range of colors that should not and can not exist".
OP confirmed for underage.

Bullshit op
You clearpy havent done any phycos

I've seen so-called impossible colors on DMT and huge doses of LSD, but very rarely.

I am telling you, that at mushrooms you just notice something exits, and you are so overwhellmed by the fact it existed so much, you think its new color or something...

>Color is wavelength and frequency
>You have seen a wavelenght and frequency that the human eye cannot percive

Bait?

You can see shapes and sounds (synesthesia). Exotic colors could be another product of the mind.

>shapes
I meant you can hear shapes and see sounds.

>my singular anecdotal experience represents every experience that has ever existed

Its literally fucking impossible for a brain to make up its own color.

It's probably how our antenna perceives waves outside the visible spectrum after the filter comes off, nothing major

I saw it on shrooms. It's not that we can see things we couldn't, its just that our senses are so heightened and our brain is on such a high that it interprets things much more strongly.

Just like how it's impossible to hear green while smelling whatever music is on the radio, no?

Simple, OP.
The range of possible human experiences is a product of the human brain more than it is of the world outside of it. The things we see every day only produce so many possible experiences, but when the part of the brain responsible for those experiences is stimulated directly, it's possible for us to see colors that wouldn't be produced by the information our eyes take in. The sensory experiences you have when you're tripping aren't necessarily a product of the world around you as much as of direct stimulation of your brain.

It's the same reason why music or other non-visual sensory input can produce colors that "don't exist." Because in that case, it's not actually a visual stimulus producing the stimulus, it's whatever's wired to color in your head.

I feel ya, OP. I've been trying to find the color of the letter E IRL for years now.

cuz we don't

I've taken large amounts of psilo, LSAYYY and ELSD xD many times and things are more lustrous sure but they are the same colours lol. I think you just have more senstivity to light

No, it's not.

Your brain can't bring a new kind of light into existence, but it can perceive what are known as "imaginary colors" versus "real colors," and many of those are the so-called "impossible colors."

It happens in synesthesia a lot. I know some people can hear impossible colors, and for me, some words contain impossible colors, especially if they blend two colors that don't mix IRL, like red and green.

Hoo boy. I can't fucking fathom how intense it must be to have something else wired to smell or taste.

i've seen colors on shrooms that don't exist. it's really weird and to this day i tried to figure out how it was possible. i think the part in your brain that makes the colors just goes haywire and starts making up new stuff. but that's just a guess. there is no study into it.

>Why is it..
Because of impaired neurological data processing.

>we can perceive a range of colors
plainly untrue

>seen colors on shrooms that don't exist

How do you categorize a color that does exist and color that doesn't?

Sounds more like you were too doped up to know up from down, let alone what is a real and fake color.

Your brain already literally made up all the colours you can see. Sensory data =/= qualia

>too doped up

Holy shit, you narrow-minded troglodyte, maybe if you'd get off your high-horse you'd experience these things through a psychedelic and not be so arrogant.

anyone else got too fried on psychedelics and never came back?

because its fucking with your brain

Thank you for that well thought out explanation.

E is yellow

This is literally the reason, what's so upsetting about it? Drugs alter your perception, and our entire experience is based on perception. You see different things or have different experiences because your senses and perceptions of those sensory inputs is altered--sometimes in drastic ways.

Also, I've had my share of college-time jollies and I don't remember ever seeing colors that 'should not...exist'--none of my friends ever described something like that either. I'd be interested what someone took to get that reaction.

>see sounds

I have this aspect of synesthesia, but it only happens when everything is really quite and something quick and sharp makes a noise. Like a house creaking once or something falling over.

It looks like various versions of an old TV screen with white static on it. The difference between white and black specks are different for each sound. They are smaller for higher frequencies and larger for lower frequencies. I see the same thing, but with colors, if it is someone's voice that breaks the silence..

I have a friend who took old school LSD in the 1970s and says they saw, heard, smelled, etc things that are completely indescribable. One of them being unknown colors.

>How do you categorize a color that does exist and color that doesn't?
The spectral sensitivities of cone cells overlap, so there are combinations of responses that can't arise in normal circumstances. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color

>Color is wavelength and frequency
It's not. It's the perception thereof, not the actual property, and not intrinsically linked. Perceiving a color that doesn't match previous experience is nothing special, really, and certainly nothing "impossible".

>close eyes
>push against eyes
>see "stars"
where does the light come from?

>synesthesia

have smelt the color purple while seeing it and asked a friend if he could taste it, i was trying to say could he smell it, but forgot the word for smell and couldnt conceive of what i was trying to describe

>uncontrollable laughter

have also seen those cliche hippie-fractals which noone ever sees (not like in the cartoons or whatever), but not the way you think - it was in a single beam of light coming through a window

>see sounds

absolutely. first time a trip hit me a friend slammed his foot down in the middle of a story - the resulting flash took up my whole field of vision momentarily.

>momentarily confused

also a close friends face once turned into the sphinx momentarily, but not the sphinx as we know it; it was the sphinx if it was based on a warthog, not a lion.

>fuckingincredible.jpg