Who was your favorite mathematician

of all time and what is their accomplishment or accomplishments?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Leonhard_Euler
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gauss

accomplishments= pretty much everything in 19th century mathematics

I really like Grothendieck from a personality perspective. I don't know math well enough to have a grasp on his accomplishments, but his 'relative' point of view is incredibly interesting.

The guy who's math I find most interesting is Chern I guess, I think geometry is cool as fuck.

best mathematician of the 20th century

Grothendieck was came up with weirdest things that ended up being exactly what we needed.

>Lets define our geometry in terms of spaces with points corresponding to prime ideals of rings.

>Lets define the fundamental group through some convoluted projective limit of the automorphism group of some galois cover

>Lets define a topology on an entire category instead of on individual sets

Newton. he invented calculus

neil degrasse tyson and if you disagree you're a bigot

Euler, it's the meme choice but it's true.

That mother fucker worked like a dog. Also rumor has it he has so many things named after him we stopped naming shit after him to avoid confusion and gave the honors to secondary discoverers.

Source and reasoning why he's badass
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Leonhard_Euler

*Leibniz

*Oresme

chief keef sosa

not sammy sosa

sammy sosa is white, chief keef is black

Oresme might of had calculus concepts....but no where near the formalization that Newton and Leibniz had

heck calculus concepts go back to Archimedes

Lagrange
>method of Lagrange multipliers
>Lagrange's theorem
>variation of parameters
>qt 3.14 loli gf
What's not to love?

Erdos motherfucker. The guy had so many brilliant ideas in his head he had to do speed to have the energy to pump them all out.

Hilbert, he was a genius

Oiler

Mandelbrot
I'm not a huge math person but fractals are cool

Gödel.

His incompleteness theorem is art.

First response best response

Laplace. He made differential equations bearable.

>convoluted
That moment when you have to use Google to figure out whether user was using a math term or the normal English word. Reminded me of the "convolution" of two functions, and mathematicians are notorious for reusing terminology.

gauB

*Eudoxus

Cantor is my waifu.

Lawvere: "concentrate the essence of practice and in turn use the result to guide practice"

>tfw you fell for the Sagan meme as a kid

>mathematician

I like Erdos because of his obtuse lifestyle and total devotion to mathematics. In reality I might have to go with Riemann because of Riemann surfaces and because he was the one person Gauss seemed to respect.

Hamilton
[math] \frac{\partial \mathcal{S}} {\partial q} = 0 [/math]
[math] \mathbf{v}_B = \mathrm{q} \mathbf{v}_A \mathbf{q}^{-1} [/math]

Galois, his life is a fucking meme

alt gr + s = ß

>audrey hepburn face

>tfw you remember mathematics would be about two centuries more advanced if he had lived

Shinichi memezuki

Cantor sort of memed on everyone with infinite sets and I appreciate that