Academic goals

Ok Veeky Forums, what are your goals? What gets you out of bed each morning to grind that shit out?
Be honest, no shitting on others for no reason.
Let's get a decent thread going for once

> subject
> current position
> goal (desired position in society, academic or otherwise)
> reasons for goal

I'll start
> subject
maths - topology, set theory, model theory
> current position
grad student
> goal
professorship
> reasons for goal
continue to do something that I enjoy, teach students, earn a decent living to provide for my current and future family

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FOZO0WWULLA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What gets you out of bed each morning to grind that shit out?
nothing

currently number theory grad student

well, what do you want to do afterwards?

whatever's available

basically got this far by accident, making it up as i go along

There are plenty of things you could do. If you enjoy the subject go for a phd.
If you don't go get a decent job that pays well and use that money as fuel for some other endeavour that will increase your happiness. If you're doing number theory, you should maybe move into cryptology are get a job in a tech/security/intel firm?

>number theory
>a decent job that pays well

lmfao

I've met number theorists who were hired by intelligence agencies and now make a decent living. As well as this, Google/microsoft/anyone that needs coders and security will want cryptographists and coders

>subject
Parasitology: Genomic Parasitology & Bioinformatics
>Current position
Ph.D Researcher
>goal
Prof of Genetic Parasitology/Parasitology
>reason for goal
Because it is the best subject in the world (imo), so I want to continue research and do a bit of lecturing

how many years left of your phd?
> I want to continue research and do a bit of lecturing
don't you want a waifu or famiry?

2, only just getting my trousers off with the project really.
>family
I don't know, but my story in that regard is a bit of a sad one. I left the love of my life back where I was living before my Ph.D knowing that leaving to do a doctorate would mean the death of the relationship. I chose the Ph.D because I have never considered that I would do anything else so I had to make a sacrifice one way or another. My childhood dream won. So because of that I have misfeelings about a wife and family.

What is happiness if not shared

>Subject
Material Science mainly to do with atomic crystalline solids
>Current posistion
3rd year student
>goal
Making a better measurement for hardness
>reasons for goal
Mohs is fucking retarded

> subject
quantum mechanics
> current position
independent researcher
don't care about status, just want to understand the universe :)

lol

> subject
Computer science
> current position
Graduate student (MS) / Research scientist intern in crypto, network security, and network information theory
Senior software engineering position on a project that touches theoretical concepts. Bonus points if research is a stated job requirement. I would also like to have my hands in one or two successful start-ups at any one time.
> reasons for goal
I like to have to work through theoretical problems, but I would hate my life if that was all I did.

I've actually already been offered a position like this; just need to graduate and then work on the senior part.

Extend the scope of Cybernetics and apply it biological systems

>subject
marine biology
>current position
3rd year student, research assistant
>goal
grad student, PhD ?
>reasons for goal
i like to eat seafood and would like to continue eating seafood in the future

>> subject
EE
>> current position
student
>> goal (desired position in society, academic or otherwise)
get very rich and obtain 'immortality'
>> reasons for goal
I dont want to die because then everything will have been for nothing

> subject
Computer Science

> current position
Working on my master's thesis.

Becoming a doctor and doing research on algorithms and AI.

> reasons for goal
1. I want people to call me "doctor" instead of "mister".
2. Working outside of academia is for plebs.

> subject
machine learning
> current position
getting masters degree
PhD researcher
> reasons for goal
I think AI will be enormously beneficial for mankind and I want to contribute anything I can to achieving it.

> I want people to call me "doctor" instead of "mister"
you are the type of person they tell not to do a doctorate.

>> subject
Computer science
>> current position
freshman, first year
sounds stupid but..I wanna be an IT guy in space, or develop something that changes lives or researching how to achieve faster internet everywhere on the globe.
>> reasons for goal
huuuuuuge passion for space.

>subject
Biology, somewhat interested in nuclear engineering
>current position
Undergrad
>goal
to get a job
>reasons for goal
i want to have money

>subject
electrical engineering
>current position
undergrad
>goal
suicide after graduation or when I've hit my 100th dick sucked
>reasons for goal
live with pride, don't become an engineer. Who knew choosing a certain career path could turn you gay

Ah, perfect. I'll write up a thesis on that in a week.

>> subject
nuclear physics

>> current position
grad student

idk someone pays me money to keep doing research. prob stay in the ivory tower unless I hate it by the time I finish my PhD. Next step postdoc??? Google??? Big bucks at big banks snubbin Brother Bernie???

>> reasons for goal
what are my bb boys quarks actually doin in there? tell me about your lives boys. why won't you come out and play on your own?

"independent researcher" in "quantum mechanics"

> subject
applied math
> current position
undergrad
> goal
avoiding boredom
> reasons for goal
can't resist trolling fellow wagies; maybe there's a better outlet for my energies

>Subject
Nought.

>Current position
Awaiting registrations for my undergraduate degree to open. Currently making money through property investment, and going to have a business start-up by next year.

>Goal
Create a successful portfolio with properties so that I can be financially independent through my studies, and also fund later research. Hope to get a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering.

>Reasons for goal
Because I enjoy biology, and want to publish some studies. I love writing and research. I hate being dependent on others (thus the entrepreneurial start-up).

>Subject
Mathematics and Computer Science (Discrete and Algorithms)
>Current Position
3rd year student
>goal
Lecturing/Teaching
>Reasons for goal
I've had my fair share of poor instructors who provided insufficient problems or an abundance of routine exercises that weren't challenging. I want to be able to give students a different experience that entails a real challenge.

Not a physics guy at all. Explain the smirk pls?

> subject
maths - doing some soul searching to find my research topic atm..
> current position
msc student
Either professorship and that's it, or a high-paying private job for a number of years to put money aside, then teaching high school when I don't give a fuck anymore
> reasons for goal
I really enjoy math and teaching but I don't want to get locked into teaching so early in my life. Besides I think I would miss out on a lot by not doing research (at least for a phd). Professorship offers the best of both worlds, but if I can't get an academic job I think at least I'd like to teach by the end of my career

>Ok Veeky Forums, what are your goals?
Living long enough to witness the AI apocalypse

>What gets you out of bed each morning to grind that shit out?
The unbearable smell of dried cum on my crotch

> subject
Canadian studying information systems
> current position
Just finished internship in the Netherlands
Be a wealthy entrepreneur with a dynamic lifestyle not attached to a wage slave life
> reasons for goal
Ego is too big to be someone elses slave

>he fell for the wage slave meme
Maybe you should stop visiting this site if you're this gullible.

What are you insinuating

lol. hope you're physically fit m8.

> subject
chem
> current position
fresh grad
do research in probability
> reasons for goal
fuck chem

>subject
History and Philosophy of Science, Math/Physics
>current position
Doctoral student
>goal
Academia + research in meta-epistemology to clarify epistemological antinomies in high level scientific disputes (and in general)
>reasons for goal
If successful, become the Kant 2.0 to Einstein's Newton 2.0, have sex with a lot of young girls when I'm 90

>subject
Math and compsci
>current position
Student
>goal
Bachelor in math and a bachelor in compsci + masters in either one
>reasons for goal
To do something else than masturbate to cartoons all day. Just finished with multivariable calculus and short intro to complex analysis

>subject
Math

>current position
4th year, ready for grad school application.

>goal
I hope I'll end up as a professor.

>Reasons for goal
I just want to get paid to think about math. Plus doing a research project this summer made me confirm that is what I want to do for the rest of my life, if possible.

I'm surprised your ego is still this intact in your doctoral studies.

>subject
math and physics
>current position
part time in retail... low gpa with bio and env sci majors
>goal
be on par with grad school level knowledge of physics
>reasons
I took diffy q and linear algebra my senior year and have been taking classes on EdX... I just like it. If I had a chance to start over I'd do math and physics and do well...

I'm only a math undergrad but I want to get a PhD.

vid related: youtube.com/watch?v=FOZO0WWULLA

>low GPA with Bio and Env. Sci.
>thinking you'll do well in Physics and Math

Wew lad maybe you should stick to retail and watching the Discovery channel.

you paedophile kid molester child rapist

>subject
Mathematics & Economics

>current position
Undergraduate

>goal (desired position in society, academic or otherwise)
PhD and beyond. I am particularly interested in Complex Adaptive Systems, Automation, Dynamical Systems, Network Topology, and Non-Equilibrium modeling. I don't really care about prestige or ego, I would be happy working away in some minor university. Perhaps, if I can indulge myself with the thought, I could be part of some unknown heterodox department that eventually becomes the ground zero of the new economics, a kind of Economic Nicolas Bourbaki.

>reasons for goal
I hope that I can contribute to the heterodox school and be a part, however insignificant, of the new economics that will come to define the 21st century.

>non-empirical economics
eww

literally me

> subject
Math
> current position
Undergraduate
> goal
grad school/Phd and then research/professorship
> reasons for goal
It is the coolest thing I can think of to do until my meat-bag stops operating.

As I said I took diffy q and linear algebra. I've gotten 60%+ on all the classes I've taken on EdX, including the 3-class quantum mechanics series, electricity and magnetism, and some intro level astrophysics course. I also took a lot of chemistry electives, including quantum chemistry and spectroscopy, so I have a decent start.

Plus, it's not like Im going to actually be able to apply myself anyway

A-are you me?

>mfw we started with real analysis in year 1 and it was my favourite subject

The smirk is me being an asshole and calling shenanigans on this person claiming to be an independent researcher. People that call themselves independent physics researchers on the internet are usually people like Gene Ray that don't know what the fuck is going on.

I encourage everyone to learn about physics if they'd like. Buy some textbooks. Work through Jackson and Shankar and whatever else. Make use of the myriad materials provided by universities.

Please don't fall into the trap of being someone that believes shit that gets uploaded to vixra.org though. These people are all over the place. I find them interesting on a social level, but really depressing on a physics level. They're obviously EXTREMELY passionate, but they're so fucking wrong.

> subject
Astrophysics
> current position
Undergrad
Research position, wouldn't mind also being able to get on a platform and teach to a wide audience
> reasons for goal
Self-indulgence, enlightenment meme, etc.

Still deciding how much of meme I want to make of myself, whether I go into theoretical research or not. May have fucked up by not doing any undergraduate research yet, but I still have two years to weasle my way into grad school.

Cheers and best of luck to everyone else in this thread.

Iktf bro

But an object is a goal

> subject
Maths - Automata and language theory, parsing theory and other theories about compiler programming (I'm mathematician).

> current position
None, currently unemployed. Recently got my master degree.

Actuary, or some job related to mathematical finance.

> reasons for goal
Here there are no companies or institutions that need my skills except universities but I dont want to be professor because the salary is really bad and I hate teaching... and ah, yeah, want to earn money.

>(I'm mathematician)
Nice try, CSfag. You aren't tricking anyone.

>Geology

>End of Masters course

>Trying to get a job working with GIS and geology related information systems

>Want to do more programming/tech related stuff. I now care more about how the programs I use work than the geology.

> subject
physics
> current position
First year grad student
> goal
Become a federal research for bio/neuro physics
> reasons for goal
I want biophysics to become something more than crystallization of proteins or other garbage. I want to have an actual medical impact on the world, no matter how small.

> subject
Biophysics
> current position
Undergrad student, lab assistent
Academic researcher
> reasons for goal
I want control in what directions I do my research which is difficult in government and business.

>Automata and language theory, parsing theory and other theories about compiler programming
>not math

I have a feeling you don't know what you're talking about.

Eyy, have you read anything by Ling?

Damn are you me?

nope, what should I look into?

> subject
B.Sc:Psychology; Minor:Math; Conc.: Cognitive
> current position
3rd year undergrad
> goal
i-become a h.s. math teacher
ii-teacher's college -> masters in educ.
iii-math degree -> masters in math

> reasons for goal
Too lazy to put in the work for a math degree right now, so just enough work to be qualified for teaching h.s. calc and such. Already 27 and need an income asap for muh debt. Ontario teachers are very well paid. Thus, brush up on necessary math across summers/travel to qtPie-lands then take math courses along the way. Perhaps minor in physics so I don't have to teach social sciences as a second subject.

Hows the teaching market for math teachers these days? It's the lowest rung of my backup careers once grad school is said and done. As shitty as the math is in highschool, having summers off could be sweet.

Just do a search @ workopolis or of the ilk. Starting around 45,000. Not great, not terrible.

>Not great, not terrible.
45k is pretty abysmal. Better than nothing but I wouldn't want to teach some fucking high school faggots for that much.

>number theory
>is there a solution to this in [math]\mathbb{Z}[/math]

>analysts: just find one in [math]\mathbb{C}[/math]

wow it was that easy nice meme subject

I'm pretty sure 45k is around the average Canadian salary so really, your salary is average right out of school. If you ask me, that's pretty good. Are you one of those people who expects an absurd 70k right out of school? It happens but is disproportionately unrealistic.

I've done that before but I find it hard to judge what's going on from that point of view. I think someone closer to being in it might have a better perspective on the matter. What would be optimal would be a detailed survey administered by the government.

Building snowboard halls everywhere...

It's not bad in Canada. It's hovering around middle class.

Yeah, it's pretty good for out of school. Living no differently than I do now, I could have my school loan paid off in under 10 years. Few people get 70k out of school that aren't doing lots of side-jobs and/or working tons of overtime.

>Computer Engineer
>First year at CC after dropping out of university
>I want to graduate eventually. I want passing grades this semester. I want to learn about the hardware details of computers and earn 60k starting.
>My family is poor and I want my dad to work less so he can spend more time at home. I want to pay my parents' rent or get them a home if I can afford it

Noble goals. Any plans to transfer to a "real" university?

maths - topology and geometry
senior undergrad
phd
love maths so much

if you don't think morse theory is the sickest shit then fuck outta my face

>albert einstein in charge of being happy
lol

>> subject
Mathematical Physics
>> current position
undergrad
Get PhD, but then just move to a small town in Alaska and live simply doing research in my free time.
>> reasons for goal
I love geometry, but know I would hate working in academia.

Heterodox school's will never make their thought big.

You can however, always get the Ego-boost when people are trying to put others below them on the academic scale down and you're not even on the same ladder so you wave at them indifferently.

> subject
Psychology
> current position
Undergrad
Experimental Psychologist. Something involving making psychology more empirical and scientific (psychometrics for example). If psych can't be saved then I'll see if I can get into a field of neuroscience or something like that. If I can't even do that then I'll become a Veeky Forums philosopher. Yeah I don't have the most concrete goals.
> reasons for goal
I love psych and I want to further the knowledge of the human mind by seeing if it's possible to make psychology a more definitively ruled field.

> subject
Computer Science

> current position
Undergrad

some sort of data scientist making loadsa money

> reasons for goal
money is nice to have, also neural networks are fuckin sick

tl;dr I'm a living meme

Computer Science

I just graduated, taking a year to relax. Currently I work for a Civil Eng professor on retrieving structure from images.

I want to get my PhD, also take more linear algebra classes.

Just interested in continuing to learn. I've always seen myself in AI, or theory. Right now I've been thinking a lot about multi-agent systems and knowledge representation. Machine learning is interesting too I think.

Not the same guy but self accomplishment?