Physicists confirm possible discovery of fifth force of nature

>Recent findings indicating the possible discovery of a previously unknown subatomic particle may be evidence of a fifth fundamental force of nature

>If confirmed by further experiments, this discovery of a possible fifth force would completely change our understanding of the universe, with consequences for the unification of forces and dark matter.

phys.org/news/2016-08-physicists-discovery-nature.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WxBOBWLAn2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tfw they discover gravity

What if the re are infinite forces?

Then statistically after-life is possible.
Even a sort of Deity that pulls the string.

There's not really a well-defined number. You can count electricity and magnetism as separate forces. But they're all supposed to be parts of a unified structure, theoretically. I'm not sure what having infinite forces would even mean.

>I'm not sure what having infinite forces would even mean.
it means quantum physics is wrong and the hidden variable theory is correct.

I always tought that the fifth force would be time,some kind of particle that basically "stores" the data of the energy states of an place.

No shit there's a fifth fundamental force.
What do you think's been driving the continued expansion of the universe?

The five fundamental forces, things that make up everything
1. gravity
2. weak nuclear
3. strong nuclear
4. electromagnetism
5. the fact that OP sucks cocks

We preons now?

Mana, right?

>quarks
people still believe in those?

6.(you)

>Doesn't know that QCD is pretty good at predicting events

I was under the impression gravity was simply shadows cast upon the lower 4 dimensions from 5th dimensional dicks.

>tfw some 5-dimensional asshole just comes along and whips his junk out causing black holes in our spacetime

>confirm possible discovery
What does that even mean? "We've already said we're not sure" seems to cover it.

Pro-tip: scientists will continue to find smaller and smaller particles for a very long time

youtube.com/watch?v=WxBOBWLAn2Y

FFS this is bullshit, inflammatory reporting. This is the kinda shit that makes people think scientists are full of shit.
What actually happened:
>Unexplained behaviour observed in experiment
>Theorists scramble to come up with new models or extend old models to explain it
>Some of these explanations involve a fifth fundamental force
>Media: ZOMG NEW FORCE GUYZZZ XDD

>CONFIRM
>POSSIBLE

TLDR:
Experiments, dating as far back to the 60s, have indicated an unknown particle is being created which interacts quite weakly with everything else. Not much about this particle is known, except it's light--possible to excite at lower energies--and seems to be bosonic in nature. The article makes the BOLD, BASELESS claim that this is a force carrier which would signify a possible fifth force.

>confirm possible

Dropped

>>Media: ZOMG NEW FORCE GUYZZZ XDD
Where, exactly?

The article says exactly what you said. No "ZOMG NEW FORCE"

What if everything is just 100% random.

Not like this is anywhere near useful which tends to be the case with infallible shit.

i hope so

Thought I was in a Precure thread for a moment.

>My academic carrier is nowhere near where I'd want it to be, so I have to rely on the vaguest unrefutable claim to stir a little bit of controversy that will allow my name to be cited twice at most which would be a tremendous progress fame-wise.