What the fuck does this even mean

what the fuck does this even mean

so did I get rid of my gingivitis through proper flossing or switching to an electric toothbrush (a crutch, but fuck brushing the "correct" way with a manual one)

I actually do get like a couple teeth every night that I was able to remove food clumps stuck in between the gums with flossing which would otherwise have contributed to gingivitis

Other urls found in this thread:

history.com/news/hungry-history/chew-on-this-the-history-of-gum
mensjournal.com/health-fitness/articles/dont-be-fooled-you-should-still-be-flossing-w434455
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What if food particles between the teeth don't contribute to gingivitis? What if they're actually protective?

they want you to use the more expensive interdentbrushes that hurt your gums

it definitely helps

it removes plaque from the teeth

replace floss with a very thin piece of hard clear plastic and move it between your teeth after not flossing for a week

you will find plaque smeared all across the plastic

its misinformation, bullshit

its the same retarded shit that gets published by pseudo intellectuals who publish "VIDEO GAME ARE BAD FOR YOU" one week and then "VIDEO GAMES HELP HAND EYE COORDINATION" the next. everyone just wants to come to a conclusion no one else has before so they can get their names on a paper. this is how bull shit grad school is for non-science majors. I can almost guarantee this isnt backed with any evidence other than their own "study" and if it is you better be checking those references.

This title is where the problem begins. I've seen this before. In reality, it says that floss is not much more effective thay brushing your teeth, not that it doesn't work. But to have the same effect with both techniques you should be able to brush your teeth correctly, and not many people do.

>I can almost guarantee this isnt backed with any evidence other than their own "study" and if it is you better be checking those references.

Actually, what their study is saying is that there have been NO studies which show flossing has any benefits whatsoever.

That being said, I find this hard to believe. I use en electric toothbrush - I make sure to brush my teeth thoroughly - and then I floss. Every time I floss after brushing, I always find some food particles stuck in-between my teeth which brushing missed. Had I never flossed, they'd still be there, rotting between my teeth. How can they possibly say flossing has no benefits? How could leaving that shit between my teeth NOT be bad for dental health?

bad goy, very bad goy

you know our--er, the flossing industry is worth billions right? your teeth are going to rot if you dont buy our products!

It reduces bacterial colonization and acid vehicles between the teeth. Less bacteria and acid vehicles is good.

Fuck those things and fuck that new water pick my dentist got that does literally nothing but slice my gums away from my teeth then tell me "oh you have bleeding gums, let me prescribe _____ for you". I've never once had my gums bleed while brushing except when the brush gets turned the wrong way and a single bristle literally jabs deep into my gums.

>acid vehicles

Fucking hardcore.

you're probably not brushing properly

the recommendations dentists give you for how to brush properly are quite different from how normal people brush

It hardens your gums

other than that yeah it's pretty useless

I brush my teeth once a month, probably less. And the only time I floss is when I go into the dentist to get my mouth cleaned. If I ever have food or plaque on my teeth, I just use my finger to pick it out. My mouth might smell gross, yet nobody has ever outright told me that I smell (And my friends are the type of people to point it out other if they smell anything).

I have only had a couple cavities in my life, and one tooth removed (but that was an issue with the location, nothing to do with rotting). My younger siblings have each had as many as 6 cavities at one time (but I don't know how much I can trust this. We got a second opinion once and only 3 of them were actually cavities). They all brush their teeth more then me, my sister who is 11 brushes twice a day and she seems to be the one with the worst cavities.

One thing I should probably mention is that I never drink soda. I only have water and occasionally alcohol, but never anything super sugary. The rest of my family all drink a "normal" amount of soda. I think healthy teeth are completely genetic. I get my teeth from my father, while my siblings get their shit teeth from my mother. The fact that there are actually no studies confirming the benefits of flossing does not surprise me. I actually read once that a person got a gum disease for flossing too hard and too much (I guess she cut her gum and it got infected).

I didn't floss as a kid and got cavities.
Now I brush and floss once a day.
Haven't had any new cavities, just a few old ones that failed due to age.

Found out I have gingivitis recently so now I floss and am considering switching to these things. I'll see in a few months if it helps, I guess.
What's the right way to brush manually though?

But how do you brush in between your molars?

Post yfw

>normal people
kek'd more than I should've

I floss MAYBE once/month but brush daily, consistently. Never had problems with cavities.

When I do floss though, I tend to get a lot of shit, even after I brush. So I'm skeptical of OP.

Pre-agrarians didn't go to bed or walk around with, e.g., citric acid and HFCS-infused gummy candy stuck in their teeth for hours a day.

I'm pretty sure they had a chewing gum equivalent, probably made from the sap of a certain tree or something.

they didn't eat fruit?

Fruit is nowhere near as bad as gummy candy when it comes to getting stuck in your teeth.

That's interesting; source?

I used to chew on random shit as a kid. I think it was sap.

>Pre-agrarians didn't go to bed or walk around with, e.g., citric acid and HFCS-infused gummy candy stuck in their teeth for hours a day.
>don't drink soda
>don't chew gum
>drink water after every meal
never had a cavity

I'm using an electric toothbrush - one recommended by dentists over manual ones. And like this guy said it's impossible to get completely between all teeth with brushing alone - floss simply gets places brushing can't.

im sure sap is antibacterial

history.com/news/hungry-history/chew-on-this-the-history-of-gum

Apparently many early civilizations had chewing gum equivalents.

The worse thing I would imagine would be to sleep from a dehydrated mouth from drinking all night then indulging yourself at 2am at Taco Bell, getting bits of processed beef stuck between your teeth. Since saliva offers a layer of protection against tooth enamel destroying bacteria present in food and alcohol sugars. The booze would relax your tongue to press against the back of your throat causing sleep apnea/strong breathing that will further dry up your teeth with your mouth being more likely open.

A monthly visit to a dentist can go a long way

Most of my teeth are so close together that I'm not even sure if dental floss could fit between them, not to mention that thing.

You're pretty much correct according to this: mensjournal.com/health-fitness/articles/dont-be-fooled-you-should-still-be-flossing-w434455

Gingivitis survivor here

You should brush gently for a long time. Tilt brush at an angle and use circular motions.

the BEST thing for gingivitis is daily rinses of 2% warm salt water. Instead of swishing it around, just fill your mouth and let it pool around your gums for a few minutes.

Doing this in conjunction with daily flossing, occasional peroxide mouthwash and reduction (ideally elimination) of process sugar will dramatically reduce gingivitis in a matter of weeks. It took a little over a month for mine to pretty much subside.

People know that you're not brushing your teeth, regardless of whether your friends bring it up or not. Just putting that out there. It is always more obvious than you think.

Thanks for posting your source! It was edu-taining!

I never floss.. Im worried, should I floss?

I Dont have a bad breath.

I can guarantee you that people can tell and your teeth will be royally fucked when you're older.

I have a friend like you. I can't even look him in the eye when we speak, lest I get a heaping whiff of death on his teeth.

That's tartar, a biofilm. Plaque is hard and black and stuck on.

Yeah nah your teeth look like shit I'm absolutely certain of it.
I have friends that only brush every few days and they look atrocious but nobody tells them .
Please change your ways before it's too late

This is the same deal as the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" nonsense that got quoted out of context and has been repeated ad nauseam. The original guideline is from a guideline printed like 50 years ago saying the human body requires the -equivalent- of 8 8oz glasses of water a day ... And then goes on to say what is invariably omitted: "most of which is obtained from food". You are not dehydrated if you are not constantly sucking on a water bottle. In fact purified water is sometimes referred to as "dead water" in that it lacks many "impurities" which are a useful part of your diet (dissolved minerals etc). People are overhydrating with water that does them no good and in fact may be mildly harming them by washing important things out of their body that are not replaced by the purified water.

This is the same phenomenon, some guideline that made its way into a dental publication years and years ago that just got repeated forever without anything concrete to back it up. Having finally noticed this, it has now been quietly dropped from dental guidelines as having no real supporting evidence and without wishing to draw attention to the fact of their inaccuracy.

I heard that in order to become hydrated from water you have to put in some salt and sugar (tiny bits). This was coming from my Marine buddies. Do you know any more information on this? It's hard to find on Google.

i heard the optimal drink is a liter water with an spoon apple juice and a pinch of salt

yeah flossing is stupid, I've never done it except at the dentist. Also I rarely brush my teeth, like once every few days. My teeth just stay really clean, never had a cavity. Probably helps that I don't drink soda or eat anything with sugar in it. My wisdom teeth came in perfectly never needed braces my teeth are fucking miracles of evolution.

Only if you not gonna eat any solid food together with that water in the next two hours or so

ITT: 1st world faggots who only eat processed food which doesn't get stuck in between your teeth.

next you tell me toothpicks are bad as well...

tell me when was the last time you ate a whole mango or meat without it's tendons removed

wow that's a nice source.

>he fell for the flossing meme
When you wake up, swish a tablespoon coconut oil in your mouth for 15 minutes before eating.

Swallowing it will forgo some of the benefits, but either way it'll deal with gingivitis (among other things).
If you do spit it out, do it outside or in the trash. That shit clogs drains.

Wait, what?