KIC 8462852

KIC 8462852

Just what the fuck is this thing? At first everyone was saying it was just dust/rocks dimming our view of the star but that, along with pretty much all other natural phenomenon have been ruled out.

Did we really just stumble upon an alien superstructure?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM
youtube.com/watch?v=gypAjPp6eps
youtube.com/watch?v=iO7tDy_QC0M
youtube.com/watch?v=XEDR-G2EDRM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

we have literally no idea. like you said, everything that's been proposed has been determined unlikely given our other observations of the same star.

i'm personally crossing my fingers for alien superstructure but to be honest? i'm not holding my breath on that either. if it was aliens, we're talking engineering projects on a scale bigger than multiple cross-sections of the larger planets in our own solar system.

obviously all bets are off in terms of how long a species has had to work on something and what level their tech is at to let them build a superstructure, but there has to be a point where we say "everything about our current physics says that this is either so difficult nobody sane would try it, or that if you even could do it you probably wouldn't need to".

whatever it is? it's fucking WEIRD, and it will turn at least one field completely upside down once we figure it out

>and it will turn at least one field completely upside down once we figure it out

Can you describee more of problem for ones who doesnt read keplers data all day?

Maybe it´s more than one thing that collide into this effects, maybe it´s signal that have purpose, from another race, and maybe it´s just engines of some ship going away from earth in acient times...

Just think. If we had chosen to point Kepler anywhere else in the galaxy we never would have known about this mystery.

Maybe there are more mysteries at the darker, lowlight emiting spots, that looks like really far stars and actually are close spaceships engine...

What detects spaceship engines at the algorythm you are recognizing data from telescopes?

It´s far more possible we will stumble about spaceship than we hit an alien planet...

I supremely doubt that an alien race could build something that large but we wouldn't point a radio telescope at the thing and hear chatter.

Whats the point in keep making these threads ?

We won't know anything until june 2017, and even thats not a guarantee. This is gonna be just another thread where /x/tards talk about ayylmaos with zero evidence or scientific basis.

so

Radio strength decreases with the square of distance, even a super-powerful directed signal and an enormous receiver would not pick up shit.

It makes me laugh the astronomers even tried to listen for radio signals and then have the nerve to say 'Nope no radio signals coming from there'

youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM

that's assuming they'd even still be using radio for distance transmission

You'll all feel dumb when it turns out to be a rotating accretion disk.

so they didnt check it yet? xD

once again i feel obligated to post these for the people who havent seen them

youtube.com/watch?v=gypAjPp6eps

youtube.com/watch?v=iO7tDy_QC0M

youtube.com/watch?v=XEDR-G2EDRM

You can send focuses beams of EM radiation, even radio, pointed at a specific target. It will have much more power. learn to signal.

This

We all know starfleet uses subspace communication.

No they won't. They'll just convince themselves that NASA is covering up the truth.

/thread

btw, i gotta say the LGM star was MUCH more surprising (but that might be just because im not too good at astrophysics) and even that turned out to be a natural object

Whats the whole shenanigans about the MLG star ?

and?

they would have no reason to point a focused beam of radiation right at us

>mlg star

The LGM star was the first pulsar discovered

Who's to say it that there wouldn't be a coincidental overlap in our direction?
Same happened with the discovery of blazars. Everyone was like wtffff then we realised it's just a quasar with its jets pointing in our direction.

Not that I'm condoning any of this alien superstructure bullshit. IMO, it's probably material of some description orbiting the star.

Stop. It's MLG star from now on.

So you're saying this could be like some type of pulsar ? rather than increasing intensity the rotation causes it to dim periodically ?
Damn son. This is just another possibility to consider before aliums that will explain it naturally.

As the proverb goes, [math]\displaystyle\lim_{t\to\infty}Veeky Forums = /b/ + i/x/[/math].

>So you're saying this could be like some type of pulsar ?

A coincidental overlap would be incredibly transient and irregular. Even if it exists, lack of evidence for it given the short time we've been looking isn't strong evidence for lack of existence.

becuz explaining it naturally makes more sence :^)

Hey, that's pretty good.

What happens june 2017?

What about some pitchblack aligment in that solar system?

The previous recorded dips were on 2011 and 2013. Kepler get cucked and couldn't catch anything in 2015 but assuming the intervals are happening with similar timescales(around 2 years each) We are expecting to see another big dip in 2017 around may or june.
Unfortunately we will stop watching that star in early may so we might just miss it.

Someone just point Hubble at the damn thing.

>then have the nerve to say 'Nope no radio signals coming from there'
Nobody said that, they set an upper limit. Fucking read the paper before you spout bullshit.

No. Pulsars are neutron stars and it isn't rotating particularly quickly.

There's already Keck AO as there has been since the first paper, that's higher resolution than HST.

2 years is not a short time and yes they are.

>stop talking about things I don't like!

talk your autism all you want.
do it in your own board

stop replying to him, he has nothing useful to say and is here just to '' people, lol

>DUDE AYYLMAOS LOL xDDD ALIENS CUMFIRMDD 200% :D :D NASA IS COVERING UP DA TRUTH :dd KEK xD

Same shit in every thread. Back to your containment board

MFW I come to Veeky Forums one day and there's a sticky thread with a picture of the star and the comment is just "AAAAAAAAAY"

what would that mean?

>tfw the last thread devolved into a shitfest of 4channers claiming to know better than the actual scientists working on this shit

I'm not saying it's gotta be aay's but I don't get why so many fags are brushing off the fact that actual scientists have ruled out pretty much every known natural phenomena

It's in Cygnus, it has to be ayys