Okay umm

>okay umm
>let me give you an intuitive sense..
>gonna make this blue... no wait purple is better
>let me do this in the same color
>copy........ paste.......copy........ and paste....
>*Sal said X when he meant to say Y* subtitle pops up
>let me make this the same color...

Why is he so wildly recommended for learning things again?

Other urls found in this thread:

elsiglo.com/panama/panama-queda-profes-matematicas/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what are you even le talking about

Because he teaches basic things that a child can understand by themselves and people praise him for being "so understandable"

Yeah his constant commentary on his writing can be annoying, but hes doing a very good thing. I wouldnt recommend him to anyone in university because you should have developed your own study skills by then, but to someone in high school or a trade that needs help learning a new concept hes very easy to follow.

Remember, not everyone is a math major

lel underrated post

>not everyone is a math major

And I think that's the issue.
We're content with "okay", it will never go away.

So as long as we support the poison of the education system today, Veeky Forums may be full of jerks, but listen to what we have to say. We ruined mathematics, universities dropped the ball. Now we gotta sit back and hope that the next generation can save us all.

Save us all from what?

who?

From subpar mathematics education.

I live in a country that has a problem with mathematics. Quite literally the country does not produce enough mathematicians. I am currently studying mathematics at a national university and there are only 5 students in the only freshman group. 3 of them want to be teachers, I'm not one of them. Pretty much in 4 years this country will only have 3 new mathematicians teaching mathematics.

I hear that most people who teach math are engineers, physicists, and people who got degrees in 'math education' which are just as bad at the former at actual math.

The solution is simple, math teachers with actual math degrees ought to be paid 6 figures starting, regardless of the level, or else no one will fucking bother.

Until that happens then each generation of students will be dumber than the last, as they are taught mathematics from people who barely know the topic themselves.

He's popular because he was the first person to widely distribute free educational videos of various highschool and first year subjects on youtube.

KhanAcademy quickly stopped focusing on university subjects and switched to K12 and thus has never updated his older mediocre quality videos.

The other issue is that he teaches so fucking slowly compared to the speed at which students expect in 2016.

wew lad.

>*smacks tongue*

>Why is he so wildly recommended for learning things again?
but he's not. Veeky Forums is just full of summerfags lately

I have to start differential calculus in college in a few weeks and I'm attempting a headstart by studying at KhanAcademy in advance.

He's very good but assumes the watcher is a total retard. Still I'm very grateful that a guy like him does this stuff, he's a good man with a good heart. I'm combining Khan Academy and Paul's online math notes and it's been great so far.

>not everyone is a math major

Bingo. Veeky Forums would be shocked to realize that most people don't masturbate to proofs of Euler identities and DeBroglie equations 24/7. There are so many people out there who make a lot of money, are considered "smart" by most, and are deathly afraid of even a class at the level of PreCal.

I'm a full time math tutor and I just finished tutoring some upper management guy, who had to take intro to Statistics in order to get six sigma certified. Guy was in his 30's, successful, never taken anything as high as Calculus, and said he was dreading this course for years.

Not saying that to make fun of him but to give perspective. Everyone here on Veeky Forums is like 1 in 100,000 of people you will actually encounter IRL.

I think you're way off. Tenure track professor positions in Math Departments are still ridiculously competitive and that's all that really matters.

In terms of high school, we only need people who can teach up to Integral Calculus and there are plenty of engineers, physicists, etc who know that subject well enough. And plus, how much will the average high school student really understand at that level anyway? Let's say Isaac Newton rose from the dead to teach an AP Calculus course. He knows the topic as well as anybody but does that mean the students will understand it better from him? If he really tried to explain it thoroughly it would take way too long and almost all of it would just fly over their heads anyway.

>I am currently studying mathematics at a national university and there are only 5 students in the only freshman group. 3 of them want to be teachers, I'm not one of them. Pretty much in 4 years this country will only have 3 new mathematicians teaching mathematics.

So there's only one university in your whole country and only five people studying mathematics in your whole country!

Bro, forget Khan Academy. If you want a head start in Calculus, Professor Leonard is the go to on that subject. He explains things as well as anybody I've ever seen and he's an actual professor who has his videos in semester order as opposed to jumping all over the place like KA does.

It's wishful thinking I that I am 1 in a 100 000 people super smart. I consider myself average. I struggle with even calculus derivative concepts. But I spend my time here because this is like a science news article board, as soon as there is something new, Veeky Forums is the first to find and post it here.

All free online education is not really meant as a standalone to be equivalent to the real thing. It is a great supplement or introduction, though. It's also free and available to anyone who wants to learn.

You're supposed to take an online IQ test that shows how much of a genius you are, and then rationalize that you're bad at pre-calc because you're too smart to be able to pay attention.

this is just the next level though.

say
"I struggle with even calculus derivative concepts"
on the streets, and see how all the store clerks shiver with respect for your 140 IQ

Like an idiot I thought you were talking about Leonard Susskind and googled him up instead. Thanks man I've taken a look at Professor Leonard's calculus 1 playlist and it seems really good. Only problem is that I'm not from the US and he talks a lot about stuff I've already seen a ton of times in high school. Just hoping that calculus 1 in America mostly covers differential calculus because I won't be doing integral calculus until the semester after. Glad I can move away from KA because it feels really slow tbqh.

because average teachers are a lot worse believe it or not

>Just hoping that calculus 1 in America mostly covers differential calculus because I won't be doing integral calculus until the semester after.
Calc 1 covers both derivatives and integrals (though it doesn't go too deep into integration methods). I guess you can hold off on that and just learn the differential parts if you want to. But it's not really that scary, anyway.

I don't get the hate? The chemistry videos are really good and cover a bunch of stuff in uni level organic chemistry and biochemistry even. Like, it's not the same as an actual course, but it's still helpful.

It's so fucking annoying when someone teaches a concept but appeals to the lowest common denomination. Atleast use some common sense instead of explaining it so utterly simplistic and drawn out.

Wish their were channels who atleast don't treat their audiences like complete baboons.

What country if I may ask?

>we only need people who can teach up to Integral Calculus and there are plenty of engineers, physicists, etc who know that subject well enough.

>well enough

We are content with "okay". It is will never go away...

By the way, I was specifically talking about high school. The media and government complain about there being no mathematicians teaching but then teacher salaries are the lowest of the lowest.

No joke, there are only 2 universities that even teach mathematics as a degree. I am in one of them. I have no reason to believe that the other one has more students given that they are not in the capital, like mine is.

Also, in sophomore there are like 6 people, junior like 3 and I honestly have never seen a senior. I am already doubting they exist but that would be ridiculous. There has to be at least one senior student.

Panama.

>elsiglo.com/panama/panama-queda-profes-matematicas/

>Estadísticas de la Universidad de Panamá (UP) y el Ministerio de Educación (Meduca) indican que entre 1995 y 2001, el número de estudiantes que ingresaron a la carrera de Docencia en Matemáticas fue nula.

Translation: Between 1995 and 2001 basically no one graduated with a teaching degree in mathematics.

Note, a teaching degree. Not an actual mathematics degree so they are shit anyways. We don't even have bad teachers.

>oy en día solo hay 50 personas inscritas en esta carrera de ciencias exactas.

Translation: There are only 50 people studying this career nowadays.

I assume this is countrywide.

So basically people who teach are physicists are engineers. This is ill considered and is only even a thing because no one knows math here.

But again, there is a huge difference between the teaching degree in mathematics and the actual degree in mathematics. I've seen both curriculums and for one thing, Calc I is taught in the junior year. In my junior year I will be doing real analysis, topology and algebra.

We truly are content with okay.

>Sal said X when he meant Y
TOP KEK. This is one of the funniest things I've seen on here

He really needs to be watched at 1.5x or 2x, slowing down when you need to. It's good stuff but he fucks around with the colours too much and repeats himself a lot

Because learning again you can calculate with physics that counts snowboard halls also...

I dunno man I forgot a lot of my physics degree and it's pretty decent for brushing up on intro stuff

Decent on brushing up? The guy barely scratches first year physics. If you want a decent teacher, you're better off with Lewin's videos or just reading your intro textbook.

Didn't know about Lewin. Thanks for the tip.

Brownskinistan.

>physicist doesn't know who Walter Lewin is
Americans.........

I am currently attending college to get into physics, but I have had to play catch up on the math course for a year before I have been able to actually do anything. In middle school, we were taught that if you were not good enough to get into advanced math, that you were not worth the effort. I was placed in the lower level math classes in high school because I have a learning disability and I had one teacher who actually cared about teaching people, but the rest of them just were there to babysit and get paid. Everyone who was anyone was in calculus by sophomore year, and the retards like were shunned from a good education. It's all about making sure the best people stay on top and if anyone needs help, then you throw them away and take whoever is next in line. Leave behind those who struggle.

Why should I, as an engineer, learn the proofs to shit like laplace transformations and linear algebra?