The most awful book that comes to your mind

The most awful book that comes to your mind.

Kapow! by Adam Thirwell

>lol you're MEANT to find it physically uncomfortable and distracting, it relates to my setting of the arab spring!

Catching fire
Just awful, even as YA novel. I couldn't bring myself to finish it even despite its short length.

all virginia woolf books - pure useless cancer
well, big majority of books written by women in general

btw. are you the kadirov shitposter I've been seeing recently?

I've been absent for weeks, so, no.

Sadie Smith - White Teeth
Teju Cole - Open City
Dave Eggers - What Is the What

The Final Testament by James Frey. the average children's bedtime story has better character development.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I received it as a gift and it was bloody awful. There was a sentence entirely devoted to describing how the villain had a huge dick and Brown claims in that book that helicopters can't fly over slanted surfaces because "the wind doesn't push against the air and just slides off", in fact this is the main plot point that kills the villain.

Elaborate? Did you grow up with an abusive single mum or something?

If you can't see at least a glimpse of the sublime in Woolf's work, it goes to show how unintelligent or psychologically misguided you are

Potato Peel Society.

Holy hell, never again will I read that book.

A Separate Peace

>going full sincere with your plebdom

Based Kadyrov

Infinite Jest

No redeeming value at all.

I told this to my English teacher 17 years ago and she told me that I just hadn't matured as a reader. My opinion has not changed.

Mockingjay was a lot worse T B H

Atlas Shrugged. Thing is I expected it to be good, but hadn't done much research. I was sorely disappointed - strawman, rape fantasies, 80 page monologue blah blah

noooooo!

yeah

Way of Kings
Name of the Wind
Old Man's War
Darkness That Came Before
Wheel of Time

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. I read Naked Lunch after it and laughed more on the one page than I did through that entire book

Gravity's Rainbow.

let me guess, you got it at a low cost in a library bookstore

Atlas Shrugged.

Advertising your inability to relate to the opp. sex and giving us a glimpse into your sad, angry, lonely life .
You are brave, a non.

>inability to relate to the opp. sex
why would i willingly decrease my intelligence?

What did you find particularly bad about White Teeth? I haven't read it, I'm just wondering.

highly overrated

Yikes, someone didn't get a date to their middle school dance. I feel bad for your mum.

Most awful book: any of Tom Clancy's most recent works, most of Grisham's library, and I've a particular disdain for Catcher, honestly, but objectively I could see why people enjoy it. Same with the previous two, but unlike the latter, they just aren't good writers. Successful and entertaining on the occasion, but not 'good' imo.

What's wrong with Old Man's War? I mean it's not amazing but how does it belong in that company exactly?

The Road. At least for books I was expecting to be great but hated.

I know it's still better than some of the above obviously, but it's the first book I thought of.

Meaning of Night by Cox

2666 It's one of the best books I've ever read in my life.

You have to read it first to rate it, or call it "overrated".

Infinite Jest, Ulysses or Moby Dick

Infinite Jest

Bad Monkey by Carl Hiassen. Holy shit.

the last thing his dad says to him is where he hid the gold before they left

>Brown claims in that book that helicopters can't fly over slanted surfaces because "the wind doesn't push against the air and just slides off", in fact this is the main plot point that kills the villain

I knew he was shit but goddamn.

Kadyrov is such a weird guy

We'll likely see a lot more of him in the future

Arguably the worst prose in the bunch.
Also, propaganda.

Michael Crichton's Next for sure

I liked you, slavboy

>villain has huge dick
>dies due to inability to push
I'm sure there's a metaphore there somewhere.

t. English translation reader

Heart of Darkness
I'm fucking serious. Thematically, it's great, which is why other works like Apocalypse Now and The Sheltering Sky cover the same themes and are incredible, but Conrad's prose is insufferable.

Your diary

Why would you idiots read shitty books? I make it a point not to poison my mind with airport fiction and YA faggotry. I don't think I've ever read a bad book. Well, maybe Love In The Time Of Cholera on a girl's recommendation of Marquez, but it was just his style that irritated me.

There's something about IJ that just fills me with simmering rage. I think it subconsciously symbolises for me the utter vapidness of the modern academic worldview. It's like reading the ramblings of an autist, desperately attempting to force authentic human experience through the slats of his arid academic worldview. It's not as though I particularly hate Wallace either, as his journalistic work is at least somewhat amusing.

It was awful. I loved it.

Because of the buzz?
Your friends read them so you want to know what they are reading?
Expecting something good maybe?
Looking for something fun from time to time?
Statistically being bound to a bad novel in the few hundreds you read?

Are you saying you immediately drop a book the moment you deem it 'shitty'? Or you've been lucky enough to pick all the right books for your taste?

Either way if a book is shit, I carry on until the end, just to get the whole picture. I don't like leaving a book without finishing it, thankfully I've not yet been disgusted by a book enough to complete drop it midway.

Rothfuss' crap.

>airport fiction
They can be readable, mate.

Look, I bought Millennium part 1 in a literal Walmart when I was grabbing cheap ass clothes and voilĂ  -- fun solid thriller. I won't read the others though.

I think of myself as a pretty open person, but the moment I saw him in a video I just refused to try any of his books.

my dairy deus

Winter Stories by Isak Dinesen. The shoveled morality, the subtle smugness. And what's worse is that I seem to be joined in my hatred only by butthurt SJWs.

A study in scarlet
Fucking horrible book

Mein Kampf

objectively the worst opinion in this entire thread of mostly distilled shit Veeky Forums opinions

Sherlock Holmes books are no masterpieces, but c'mon, it can't be the worst thing you've read.

Surely the chapters about mormons in the desert intrigued you somewhat. Without that segment I would've forgotten the book completely.

cloud atlas, it just annoyed me

Dean Koontz, Dragon's Tears.

Get off it.

I was going to say Infinite Jest, but I have to agree with this assessment as well. I do like reading it when I pair it up with Things Fall Apart though.

House of Leaves

This and Time's Arrow: nonsensical, endlessly flawed...

Romiette and Julio. Had to read it for high school

twilight and its not that bad but the popular hate caused it to come to mind.

well, i guess there's the bible.

A Farewell of Arms

>i drank all this wine here and then my leg got blown off but that's not a big deal cuz im all tough and stuff and then i banged this 10/10 nurse and deserted the army and became a lumberjack and then she died

Wow cool story Hemmingway I can tell you're not writing fanfiction of yourself at all.

I really tried to enjoy Hemmingway, but all of his books are devoid of character or personality.

Most of Dan Brown's books are comparable to a summer action blockbuster. Formulaic, mid to low tier writing, and entertaining to the masses

Fahrenheit 451. Even when I was in high school, I thought Ray Bradbury was a pompous ass.

I never even read this book but breaking down a story this way, to its simplest form whilst mocking it can make literally anything sound bad. Youre an idiot.

you write like a faggot. and a white knight one at that.

stop trying to be like rob gordon you giant douche.

Freedumb by John Frankenztein

Island by Aldous Huxley is garbage

ISBN-10: 1468557076
ISBN-13: 978-1468557077

You are a retard

walden
book of disquiet
notes from the underground

>helicopters can't fly over slanted surfaces because "the wind doesn't push against the air and just slides off"

Brown has out-Ian Fleming'd Ian Fleming.

I don't know about worst, but The scarlet letter is without a doubt the worst classic I've read

I second this. What a waste of time.

The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra

>walden

Das it mane, I lost count of how many times I slept while reading that shit

Jane Eyre

Anything written by any red.

The Crossing was boring turgid shit and the worst book I've finished.

Nicholas Nickleby is SO POINTLESS. I realised that it isn't even boring. It's just a complete waste of time. Dickens has his one trick of the narrator sarcastically commenting on events and he uses it on every line.

but Knicker-less Nickleby was dope, though.

I hate that book and the whole premise behind it, but it has very decent prose for high school lit.

a lot of the sci-fi shit i read in my adolescence is really bad in hindsight. hard to single anything out.
as for literary fiction, maybe native son? i had to read it in high school and it was one of those books that turned me off of literary fiction until college.

i disliked it, but the skill that went into it is very evident. i'm envious if that's really the worst book you've ever read.

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Dear God this

>It's okay to marry a violent thug and view him as a hero so long as he keeps telling you he loves you

And we wonder why there are so many black broken homes

Why does Martin Amis try so hard with his usage of words?

"Desperation" by S.King
the author just fails every (or at least, most of) time he tries to pass off his work as something serious.

I'm reading this at the moment and honestly, I agree. I expected to do it in one sitting but man its pretty boring

One day in the life of ivan denisovich

The Name of the Wind was probably terrible, I was just so bored about 200 pages in I stopped