General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/p9wvevBH
reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/4stya7/is_good_good_enough_marketings_effect_on_what_we/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The old is new once more.

I finally did the unthinkable and posted my short story on DeviantArt.
Could I post the link to its chapters here so you can give me some criticism? It's a very short and sweet fantasy story so it won't take much of your precious time.
Or post it chapter by chapter here? Or something.

>DeviantArt
No sorry we don't like scum here. Reddit is where you want to go.

Do as you please.

Yeah post it. I can't imagine it's worse than the D&D crap I read when I was a kid, or the YA crap that makes everyone a millionaire because of how kids nowadays want to read about how the MC is special and important.

Where was I supposed to post short stories though? It's is you, user, who told me I should at least try to post them on DeviantArt so at the very least I'd maybe get some opinions about them
How am I supposed to improve if nobody will ever read them?

I'm sorry user, but you are unreasonable.

>several chapters into The Great Ordeal
>cucking
>shameful masturbating
>gay rape

all is proceeding as foreseen

>DA

You could've just made a word press website like all the other faggots writing serializations/short stories online faggot. At least you didn't go to tumblr though.

Agree, and because of that I'll just post a pastebin here.
Besides I'm a member on DA for many years and I see no reason why can't I use it. Like always, Veeky Forums is unreasonable as fuck.

If you want the approval of 4channers, you need to become as isolated and ineffective as possible.

here goes nothing

pastebin.com/raw/p9wvevBH

You used "she" eight fucking times in the first three sentences, and even used "she had" twice in the very same sentence. What are you doing?

Pretty bad, but based on your writing you're something like 14 years old. Keep at it and you'll improve as your mature.

I'm 32.

Any good fantasy with a little girl protag?
Something like Mistborn, but doesn't have to be epic fantasy

Orphans of Chaos

Black Company is good, but she gets older after the first novel.

Un Lun Dun

I don't get it.

Please, without spoiling the story. I'm almost finishing it but I still haven't figured out who this banner belongs too.

Have you upped your down and downed your up?

Why can't feminist SFF become more mainstream?

No point mocking me. English isn't even my 1st language.

Hugo awards are to be given to minorities. Women are often white, and should not receive such awards.

How the hell do i fix this? It's been like this since i've first opened it, and i wasn't even forceful with it.

Top Fantasy Author Ranking:

1. George R.R. Martin
2. J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Karl Marx
4. J.K. Rowling

Thanks. This is what I needed, someone to tell me how much my stuff sucks and also why.
I'll try to formulate the sentences better so I won't repeat the same words over and over again.

Quilt the book ad leave it under a considerate amount of weight when you're not reading it.

I do leave it under some weight when i'm not reading it, but it usually goes back to that every time i finish reading for the day.

It's a shitty soft cover probably. Don't worry about it though.

Try reading it out loud and seeing how it feels.

They only show up near the end. Parshendi shardbearer woman that gets btfo by Kaladin and has a viewpoint in the next book.

>grew up in a bookish homeschooling family
>six siblings
>tfw now they only read pop nonfiction, fanfiction, and Name of the Wind
>tfw the only member of my large family I can talk literature with is my mother

You're replying to the wrong user but I see what you mean. Would reading out loud improve my writing?

English is not my native language so reading anything is english sounds weird for me, but I'll try.

I've read that part already. But aren't the banner and colors wrong?

Also, why does she have a spear instead of a sword?

The armor is silver like in the book, I don't recall them having banners but it's probably the artist making things look exciting. I think there was a scene like that, though.

And it is a sword. Shardblades are huge.

Reading out loud will definitely improve your writing, but if you're not familiar enough with English to know what sounds wrong out loud you're going to have a difficult time. I might even say find a Skype buddy that wants to learn your language.

What's your native language? Is there zero market for specfic in it?

>And it is a sword

That is clearly a spear in the background.

B-but you guys told me to go for Orb edition of BotNS, even if it's paperback!

Well shit.

>Veeky Forums is one person

When will you learn?

Yes. That's Kaladin in the background.

Not him but that's not true.
This was what Sanderson had to said

Q: Who's that on the cover of Way of Kings?

A: It's Dalinar and Eshonai. Eshonai is the female Parshendi Shardbearer who fights Dalinar and Kaladin in Chapter 68. She also appears in an earlier chapter, where Dalinar sees her across a chasm. That scene is the one on the cover.

What's the Gormenghast of SF?

There isn't even a Gormenghast of fantasy.

Gormenghast is more modernist than fantasy

Actually, how are the sequels and is Sark worth visiting if you're a fan of the novels? Always thought it was cool idea to make a pilgrimage out to the castle Gormenghast is based on.

It's fantasy of manners. There's two types of fantasy, one being battles against goblin armies and the other battles against neighbors.

Is Jane Austen fantasy?

No but she's a major influence.

I understand english enough for me to read everything in english and watch everything in english. There are times when I don't even remember the language I've read with, whether it's my native language or english or german or romanian (the main 3 foreign languages I speak)
My native language is japanese but I never speak it outside of my family and them alone (I'm studying abroad). I have no incentive of publishing in japan and I'll probably never get published anyway, but I do want to learn to write things that are worthwhile.

Pratchett's one of the best writers of little girls desu

There's also authors like N.K. Jemisin and Canvarn who tend to use them

There's a major gap between understanding a language and being able to compose in it. Get a lot of practice having conversations in English, keep a notebook where you write down interesting phrases you hear, try to be more aware of the nuances of what you're reading.

You're doing all right, though. Kind of a Murakami vibe.

>that feel when Uvarov is left to die in the dark, cold and alone
>that feel when you will never insert your penis into the vaginal orifice of Spinner-of-Rope
Otherwise, Ring was a nice book. My favorite part was anything involving hyperdrive flight.

If you want to write things that are worthwhile, why are you writing in an escapist genre?

add hamilton stuff to modern sci fi (commonwealth saga, void trilogy)

>living in a prison
>criticizing escapists

it's not just about avoiding repetition of the same words (I know that's what english teachers teach, but english teachers are retards who wouldn't teach english if they had an actual understanding of this stuff).

Repeating the same words is just a symptom of several possible issues. For example, whatever you're writing might not be concise enough so you end up unintentionally repeating a lot of the same information. In that case there's probably a way to cut WAY down on the word count without losing meaning.

こんばんは、はじめまして!なぜ日本語がマイン言葉じゃないですか?って。。。まさか、日本が嫌いですか?

Because I like it. I earn nothing out of it except the pleasure of writing. I don't write to educate people or show everyone else how many allusions to the classics can I drop per page.
All I want is for others to share this sort of pleasure because too many take writing (and reading) as something pretentious and an utterly high brow activity that should not be tackled by the uninitiated.
I may be too naive and I accept it.

Really enjoyed dying earth series.
can you recommend me anything else from Jack ?
Sci or fantasy doesn't matter.
preferably a single novel rather then series

Do you one better, Dragon Masters is a novella.

It's a series but read Lyonesse.

reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/4stya7/is_good_good_enough_marketings_effect_on_what_we/

This post triggered me beyond belief. Despite all the shitposting here, I'm glad to have you guys. Feminists and SJW are honestly outright disgusting.

What the fuck does SJW and feminists have to do with that link?

All that is marketing 101 and has been used since marketing began.
Stop using buzzwords to try and fit in on an anonymous chinese frogposting and memes board.

What an amazing journey this book has been. I'm so glad I picked it up, even though my native language is not English. I had too re-read some pages now and then. But WOW, I owe you one /sff/.

One of the best (if not the best) fantasy books I've ever read.

>This world is bread
>And I'm the goddamn bakery

10/10 Bakker-san

Every time I'm tempted to start reading this guy, somebody posts an excerpt here and it's always, ALWAYS shit.

Try to skim past the first paragraph.

Lol his prose has actually improved with this latest work. Very surprising treat.

>but the bottom line is how marketing has effected what is visible.
Stopped reading there.

Hey familia, not being my usual genres, I was with the need to start a sci-fi reading initiation, one of which having strong scientific groundings - I bet you guys call it 'heavy' or 'strong' - and density. Wandering within memes, I came across these two authors: Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds, are they part of this category? Moreover, I'd like some recommendations; having in mind that I possess some decent science/phys knowledge - being a stemlord.

I thought that it was a fairly reasonable post vis-a-vis female authors. Then she lost me at Canadians/Indians/POCs.

Hello, everyone. I've always been a fantasy person, but I've become increasingly interested in sci-fi. However, I'm just not interested in far future technology or cyberpunk/dystopian world with machinery and guns. I tried reading Dune because of its ecological elements (a study of mine), but for some reason I just could not get past the first few chapters. Maybe it's just me? Anyway, I'm wondering if all Sci-fi is based in subjects such as A.I., future wars, economics, space and so forth? Although I'm deeply interested in science in general, my area is literally more down to earth with biology/ecology and other related fields. Are there stories about this sort of thing? Ecological themes? Gene experiments? Flora and fauna?

Thanks. I hope this makes sense.

Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro

>if not the best
>forgetting the entire middle slog through the horrible pacing
It's not even the best novel by the author, you filthy darkeyes.

>Mistborn better than WoK

Shardkill your shardself.

>mfw I'm a light eyes
>mfw when Mistborn was boring as fuck

Where did I say Mistborn was better?
>darkeyes and their reading comprehension

>entire middle slog through the horrible pacing

So, you're actually talking about "The Final Empire" right?

This should be relevant to your interests.

>can't read "lighteyes"
>comprehension

>forgot to upload an image
>me and my consistency
AHHHHH
IT'S INFECTIOUS

I'd say some of the Mistborn novels are better than WoK purely due to shorter length since WoA and HoA had strong pacing issues too. At least pacing in Mistborn seems to be better in Era 2. I don't actually know what I'd personally consider the best Sanderson book, though, but it sure isn't tWoK.

Nah, WoK does have serious pacing problems, even acknowledged by the Mormon Overlord himself.

>darkeyes lying over the internet
Kaladin is a lighteyes too. :-)

Any good soft SciFi recommendations in a non-space / opera setting and instead integrated in more contemporary societies? Basically, not books like Dune/Foundation but more like Shades of Grey by Fforde.

A foolish hobgoblin dwells within the small consistency of mind.

>Nah, WoK does have serious pacing problems, even acknowledged by the Mormon Overlord himself.
I read it in 2011, but I thought it was fine. Even Dalinar "Woe is me! A milf desperately wants my cock" Kholin was interesting to read because of the dynamics of his family and the politics.

The first mistborn book is the best Sanderson I've read, second didn't hook me

Stormlight as a series is just way too fucking long for the story it's trying to tell. If you're able to delay a reveal for over 400 pages you're almost certainly being too indulgent.

>Never Let Me Go
Is this a fucking troll list?

Everytime I go to read Bakker I look up his series on wiki to get the titles to pirate and then read this

>This trilogy details the emergence of Anasûrimbor Kellhus, a brilliant monastic warrior, as he takes control of a holy war and the hearts and minds of its leaders. Kellhus exhibits incredible powers of prediction and persuasion, which are derived from deep knowledge of rationality, cognitive biases, and causality, as discovered by the Dûnyain, a secret monastic sect. As Kellhus goes from military leader to divine prophet, Drusas Achamian, the sorcerer who mentored Kellhus, comes to realize that his student may well be the harbinger of the Second Apocalypse.

That summary makes it sound like the worst shit

>Are there stories about this sort of thing? Ecological themes? Gene experiments? Flora and fauna?
Look up J.G. Ballard, he's primarily concerned about society and dysfunction in all of his writing but his Scifi tends to center around ecological disasters

I have no idea what they're like but Southern Reach Trilogy is all about an unexplored jungle IIRC, so try that

Ring was incredible. I have a feeling you imagine Spinner more like a loli than an actual pygmy like she's described though. Anyway, Stephen Baxter's stuff doesn't get anywhere near enough love. His Manifold books are great too.

Wahh the scifi list has some decent prose in it waah

At first I thought "oh, he didn't actually read my post and has just linked some random space story" but I was wrong. This looks very interesting indeed. Whilst I'm not as interested in space as I am about what we have here on planet Earth, the idea of terraforming is great and there seems to be many facets to this trilogy form what I'm reading, including ecological.

I don't mind saying I'm almost completely new to sci-fi. The only book I ever picked up that is of the genre, as I said, was Dune. I have a question though: is all sci-fi set in the future? Is that a defining feature of the genre? I realise that it has to be set in the future in order to explore ideas, but surely there are also near future or even present day stories? For example, surely a scientific expedition to an island to research for flora would be considered science fiction? Or is that something else. Just curious.

I'll look further into Red Mars!

Cheers for these recommendations. Will have a look.

This Kellhus guy sounds like a colossal Mary Sue.

>tfw getting buried by long paragraph posts

>Anasûrimbor Kellhus
Vintage fantasy name that is simultaneously unpronounceable without a guide and very similar to a real world

Hate that shit

You must have a really fucked up complex about having brown eyes.

Do people really pronounce stuff? I just think of the letter combination of a name as a picture, rather than a sound.

You could look into "blindsight" by Peter Watts it touches alot of very interesting topics including human consciousness and alien life.
The author also has a PhD in biology which shows throughout the book.

You can download a epub/PDF directly from the authors website.

First time yeah, I pronounce everything strange in my head before then reading it automatically from then on.
So if it's a word with no clear pronunciation it slows me down, also stuff like quay always fucks me up

Downside of not pronouncing words lead to me legitimately thinking Jack Kerouac wrote a crappy novel called Dharma Burns