Veeky Forums ITAOTS

So what is the Veeky Forums equivalent to ITAOTS on /mu/?

infinite jest

I'll go out on a limb and say Infinite Jest.

Absolutely infinite Jest.
Now back to your containment board.

ulysses?

i wanna read it in the shower desu

ITAOTS is a mellow, agreeable and inoffensive album with decent lyrics and also decent but completely non-provocative heard-this-before acoustic instrumentals.

Infinite Jest is more like American Football, a quasi-obscure album that people wont shut up about because it is so memeable and makes them sound like they know about/understand music.

So it's a masterpiece but everyone hates it? Or it's not that good but everyone loves it?

this

keep your obscure hipster shit on /mu/

they are both masterpieces of New Sincerity from the late 90s

and they both get spammed on their respective boards

>mfw I realized David Wallace is from the same town as them

Your description of ITAOTS is off the mark. It's not a mellow album. There are highs and lows left and right. Jeff Mangum's voice is the opposite of inoffensive. And the album is not just acoustic instrumentals. Most of the appeal of the album comes from the wacky instruments used, such as, the singing saws and bowed banjos.

crap, didn't realize this album was released in 1998

i was going to say that the things you describe were old hat for the 2005-era ipod and beanie seattle hipster

It's all good. I know a lot more about music than literature. I've been coming to this board on and off for the last two years.

And the band in question is?

kinda actually

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

Hey I don't know how long you've been on Veeky Forums but you have to know how to use the image search. Just click on that carrot next to the post number. When ever you want to know something about an image that's your best shot.

Stoner is a better answer than Infinite Jest.

I feel like we had this thread a few nights back

Animal Collective

90% of Veeky Forums is a repost of some form or another.

>Ctrl + f
>No Hundred Years Of Solitude

We have this thread every night.

>tfw been on the 'chon for 6 years and never knew about that

Except the only way I figured out that OPs picture had anything to do with anything is because of you. The picture has no text, no information which would lead anyone to think it's an album cover.

>Hey I don't know how long you've been on Veeky Forums
>tfw I've been on Veeky Forums for 10 years
>what am I doing with my life?

wouldn't you assume so just based on the fact that /mu/ was the mentioned board?

Infinite Jest
Now leave

Is that zach hill
Or American football man
Or Dfw
Or Jeff magnum
Or bjork

Infinite Jest but whether or not it's as good as ITAOTS is debatable

What's the Veeky Forums equivalent of OK Computer?

how tf is jeff magnum's work an instance of "new sincerity"? have you even listened to it?

Why does everyone say itaots is "not for everyone" yet no one seems to dislike it

Well, it's nothing you'd ever really hear on any radio station. Jeff Mangum can't really sing. It's hard to say something like King Of Carrot Flowers Pt 2 is "for everyone" because it annoys the hell out of a lot of people. I do agree it's accessible, it's what got me into music way back, but I know a considerable amount of people that don't like it for surface level reasons. However, I also know plenty of people who just think it's too simple and boring. So it goes either way.

Gravity's Rainbow, probably.

I dislike it

The three contenders are Infinite Jest, Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow.

Back in like 2011, Veeky Forums actually liked IJ and it was meme, but much like ITAOTS, IJ is now made fun of and ironically posted.

Basically no one says too much bad about Ulysses or GR.

Most of Veeky Forums has not read any of these books cover to cover, let alone all of them.

I actually enjoy ITAOTS, except for that "semen stains the mountaintops" song. Shit's straight up dumb as fuck.

Seriously, this guy has to be shitposting on Veeky Forums

>I have published articles on James Joyce, Walter Benjamin, David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pynchon, George Saunders, and Neutral Milk Hotel’s album, In the Aeroplane over the Sea.

All this wave of naive indie music is the perfect exponent of new sincerity

No, the only contender is Infinite Jest. It fits every aspect. Ulysses and GR only fit in popularity.

in what way is american football memeable? it's an unassuming emo record, not fucking mbdtf

it's bjork

Except ITAOTS is some obscure time travel Anne Frank reincarnation mix. Not exactly like the other naive indie feels music

It's about pure love for someone, reincarnation, nostalgia, redemption. Of course it's naive in a way.

In what way is mbdtf memorable? It's a overhyped pop-rap record, not Madvillainy

*an

That's the youtube music review man, Captain Chuck or whatever

You and me both. I'm also not a fan of the "I love you Jesus Christ" bit.

i want to say IJ but at least i like ITAOTS

>Jeff Mangum can't really sing

I have to disagree with you there. I went to a show of just him on acoustic and it was incredible. I would agree that his albums always showcase it, but the guy can sing beautifully.

Infinite Jest is like Oasis

the dude who carries around a busted up, dog-eared copy is like the faggot who plays wonderwall on his shitty guitar

Much closer

I is neither quasi-obscure nor incompatible with mellow. If anything you can't power through it.

>Jeff Mangum's voice is the opposite of inoffensive

Did we really listen to the same thing?

I meant he doesn't really have a traditional singing voice, I saw Neutral Milk Hotel live a few years ago and it was life changing and I loved every second of it. I love Jeff's voice myself, so I suppose saying he "can't sing" was a poor way of putting it because he certainly can, just in a very strange fashion unlike anything I've ever heard.

Lit equivalent of OK Computer is Infinite Jest. Similar themes about isolation and purpose in the world at the turn of the century. Both kind of suicidey.

Lit equivalent of ITAOTS is Blood Meridian. Beautiful use of language, inexplicably powerful, dope af.

Why is mu being mentioned help me know that the pic isn't some random pic?

Gravity's Rainbow

Anne Frank's Diary you fuckwit.

He's consistently sharp throughout the album, that's what you mean.

Stop trying to discuss music when you don't know the first thing about it.

>obscure

They are both full of nonsense

The Crying of Lot 49, maybe

What's the Veeky Forums equivalent of Boku no Pico though?

>Veeky Forums
Infinite Jest
>/tv/
The Dark Knight Rises
>/mu/
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
>/v/
Dark Souls
>/a/
Evangelion

*Stirner

ITAOTS is
-pretty easy-to-enjoy / simple compositions, "poppy" so to say
-however, somewhat wacky instrument choices and sounds
-and singer has somewhat of a weird voice / style of singing
-lyrics are "weird" / rather cryptic / surreal, they do take focusing to "get"

All of these are things that people may either dislike or like, really.

Also can't think of a proper Veeky Forums equivalent. Most lit tends to be either demanding or easy to read, not both at the same time.

Maybe someone like Lovecraft, some people get really deep into him and read him as something very profound while others just see his average-to-bad prose or "aged" stories or whatever. But he ain't exactly a meme on Veeky Forums, so...

As previously said, GR. In part because all the members of Radiohead have mentioned GR and talked about in relation to this album.

I can't argue with any of these.

anne frank's diary. retards.