Are polymaths smarter than people who specialize

Are polymath a generally more intelligent than people who specialize in one field or are they just more curious about knowledge is someone like. Von Neumann smarter than say Einstein or Godel who made deep impacting results but ere specialized in their fields

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics
fully-faltoo.com/2012/07/09/bose-to-einstein/
web.ihep.su/dbserv/compas/src/bose24/eng.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

actually Einstein pops up nearly everywhere in physics, he's the fucking Gauss of physics

I think the question is meaningless. What is "being smarter" even measuring here?

What is the endgame here?

Wasn't Einstein completely ignorant of quantum mechanics

No you faggot, he literally was one of the founding fathers of the subject.

It's more that he disregarded quantum mechanics. The photoelectric effect was what won him his Nobel prize and that's all quantum mechanics.

>What is the endgame here?
Impression on OP.

You literally can't father something that isn't a literal baby, you illiterate parody of a man.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics
Educate yourself, friend

>doesn't know what a metaphor is

Fuck off fresh out of highschool brainlet.

c

einstein predicted the laser which is infinitely cooler than anything in general relativity

... and that super low temperature cloud thing.... even cooler.... someone help me out here... to lazy to invest 2 minutes on research.

Einstien did not accept some key indeterministic implications of QM. Thats what his "God does not play dice" schtick was about. .. made a bunch of arguments that there must be deterministic variables we just don't understand yet... which ate up a bunch of his life's work and were mathematically disproven by Bell, but Einstein was dead already

bose-einstein condensate

>b8ed

tx

pretty sure bose came up with the method, einstein just copied him and took half the credit. although bose was a shitty indian physics teacher so if einstein hadn't copied his method nobody would have taken him seriously

idk if its actually named after bose or if its just because its boson math? never actually thought about that but id believe einstein plagiarized bose, he never credited mileva maric for her work and that pretty fucked

fully-faltoo.com/2012/07/09/bose-to-einstein/
he sent him a paper using the method to derive the plank law or something, then einstein copied the method, but he credited bose with inventing the method hence the name bose-einstein statistics. also einstein personaly translated boses paper into german and published it in a top scientific journal. see attached letter from bose.

Respected Sir, I have ventured to send you the accompanying article for your perusal and opinion. I am anxious to know what you think of it. You will see that I have tried to deduce the coefficient 8π ν2/c3 in Planck's Law independent of classical electrodynamics, only assuming that the ultimate elementary region in the phase-space has the content h3. I do not know sufficient German to translate the paper. If you think the paper worth publication I shall be grateful if you arrange for its publication in Zeitschrift für Physik. Though a complete stranger to you, I do not feel any hesitation in making such a request. Because we are all your pupils though profiting only by your teachings through your writings. I do not know whether you still remember that somebody from Calcutta asked your permission to translate your papers on Relativity in English. You acceded to the request. The book has since been published. I was the one who translated your paper on Generalised Relativity.

The full letter from bose

web.ihep.su/dbserv/compas/src/bose24/eng.pdf
at the end of boses paper:
Comment of translator. Bose’s derivation of Planck’s formula appears
to me to be an important step forward. The method used here gives also
the quantum theory of an ideal gas, as I shall show elsewhere. [A. Einstein

The renaissance/enlightenment sort of polymath is not a practical reality these days.

There's just too much available knowledge/methodology to learn.

You can be a generalist in many fields, which you could view as the modern equivalent of the 18th century polymath.

The word is pretty much redundant these days.