Can someone recommend a book of Stephen King to start with? What are his best works?

Can someone recommend a book of Stephen King to start with? What are his best works?

memes aside, The Stand and THe Shining are pretty respectable. Of course, you'll have half this board whining like pretentious children about how Stephen King is an awful author due to his popularity.

Start anywhere really, they're all pretty different

Pick one that's set in Maine

His short story collections: Night Shift and Monkey Shines.
Carrie , The Dead Zone
Misery
Don't overthink it.

>muh pupulurity argument
Eat a dick redditfag.

his best book by far is 11/22/63

Do not start with him. He's awful. And I don't mean it as a meme; his books are very lackluster, especially when they are supposed to be "horror", and I can't remember a single ending that didn't feel shitty and anticlimactic. Maybe his short stories are less unbearable than the big books.

Why not read Poe or Lovecraft?

>pupulurity

You must be 18 years or older to post on this website.

What book is his biggest meme?

> they're all pretty different
As user pointed out, the hard part when reading Stephen king is that it's pretty hard to find what he actually wrote himself.

I'd recommend Everything's Eventual, it's really good and what I started with.

Gerald's Game is alright, I'm about to start The Long Walk which everyone seems to agree is one of his best, even if they don't like him.
Dreamcatcher is also very good

It
The Stand
Night Shift
The Shining
The Green Mile

All the others are utter trash

Don't even bother with the Dark Tower series.

Because Ligotti surpassed both

I agree with all of this except of IT
IT is not for starting Stephen.
By the way. I want to buy the whole colection of Lovecraft. worth it?

I recommend you to begin with Kubrick's The Shining and nothing more.

I recommend not listening to pseuds who hate Stephen King and yet like Kubrick

Salem's Lot wasn't bad.

Kubrik might not be the be all and end all of film, but he's better than King.

King's a brand; he's not about quality, he's about consistency.

Start with his first novel, like any other author.

YES, it is worth.

Everything from lovecraft and his "world-mythology" by other authors is a must read

What are some modern lovecraftian books?

What, are you retarded?

Not really modern but post-lovecraft:

Bloch wrote some short stories
Ligotti of course
Stephen King (The Mist, mainly)
Clive Barker with the Book of Blood series

Most of the authors in the genre have actually wrote something related to his work... but not everything is good.

The first season of True Detective had some lovecraft tones also

not this

Literally the worst thing you can do with King.

Carrie is complete shit, not even memeing

Everything's Eventual

On Writing

The Stand

The Stand is I think his most favorited, most influential and really the only one that stuck with me at all.

You'd have to read it if you were looking into King, so you may as well start with it.

His novels that really stood out to me are

IT - one of the few novels he wrote that's truly creepy on several levels. Loved this one start to finish.

Eyes of the Dragon - fun low-fantasy story with a surprisingly deep world, for how little world building he actually does in it.

The Stand - ending is kind of weak (a common theme with King), but he did a really fucking good job of depicting the fall of civilization in the first half.

Gerald's Game - woman is handcuffed to a bed in the middle of nowhere, starts losing her mind. Really liked this one, and it's kind of frightening in how real the first parts are.

The Green Mile - the movie is pretty much a word for word recreation of the book. If you liked the movie, you'll like the book.

The Shining - creepy as fuck and a good read, but Kubrick improved it, in my opinion.

A lot of his short story collections are fucking great, I'd say they're his strong suit. My favorites were

Everything's Eventual - every story is fantastic.

Nightmares & Dreamscapes - read this when I was in junior high. Dolan's Cadillac is fucking great.

Different Seasons - four non-horror stories. Two of them are pretty forgettable, but it includes Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption, so definitely check this one out.

Four Past Midnight - Secret Window, Langoliers and The Library Policeman are cool stories. Can't even remember the fourth one.

The Bachman Books - Running Man and The Long Walk are fucking great.

If you can find the original version of the first Dark Tower book, pick it up. He re-wrote parts of it to better fit with the rest of the series, but the pre-edit version is out of this fucking world. Book two is probably the best in the series, three is great, and four is really good. We won't speak of five, six and seven.