How can we cure ageing?

How can we cure ageing?

It costs trillions of dollars per year to deal with (all of the ageing-related diseases and associated medical expenses, as well as productivity loss) and arguably causes more suffering than anything else in the world; and accounts for ~90% of the deaths in the advanced economies.

It's clearly the most important, valuable and humane thing we could possibly do.

So how do we do it?

Anyone?

>current year
>trying to break laws of nature

don't know if you can cure it but you can slow it a lot by having perfect diet, exercise, sleep and meditation and 0 zero stress, hgh and what not can help tremendeously too but you know stress and bad thoughts fuck you up too A LOT.

oh and forgot intermittent fasting and fasting, they help extremely a lot too.

>and arguably causes more suffering than anything else in the world

I disagree. Hunger and violence causes more suffering.

Cryostasis?

Genocide of subhumans is outlawed so that something that'll never be solved, contrary to aging.

>current year
>believing in unbreakable laws of nature
Gene manipulation is the only way to stop aging, and it is plausible.

Well, he said "arguably"...

...But if you think about it, everyone inevitably suffers from aging, while only a portion of the populace suffers from violence and hunger. So, in terms of collective suffering, aging probably wins. (Especially if you include the suffering of others, caused by the need to support their aging family members through that, and the following death.)

Eventually, inevitably (barring a dark age or global extinction event)... We have CRISPR, we have primitive biological nanites, there are biologically immortal critters running around, so it's only a matter of time.

Probably not in our lifetime though.

But there would be consequences... If the average Joe starts living forever, the bulk of average Joes had damn well better be sterile.

>trying to break laws of nature
In a world where you see hundred ton objects made of fucking steel casually flying over your head every fucking day, it boggles my mind that anyone tries to make this argument regarding anything. Even stranger when doing so on a device that lets you instantly communicate with any human, anywhere on the planet, and pipe down and store the entire collective written works of man in mere moments.

>and pipe down and store the entire collective written works of man in mere moments
...Which you can then carry around on a keychain.

And yes, somehow, all this amazing technology doesn't make you any less likely to forget your fucking pic.

What are we going to do about population control once this is achieved?

Space colonization will be easier since they'll always be fit, and can take centuries-long voyages

Getting enough people off your planet to seed a colony is one thing...

...Getting enough off of it to relieve overpopulation is quite another.

>airplanes and computers defy the laws of nature
>gene manipulations aren't governed by laws of nature

oh, you guys...

Stop having kids.

What reason is there to have children if you're going to live forever? (or at least until / unless you die of some non-ageing related cause like an accident)

What worries me the most regarding an age cure is not overpopulation, as population control laws will be set immediately to prevent such a catastrophe. What worries me most is the stagnation of social evolution, bureaucrats and elite capitalists (authoritarian or not) becoming immortal and whatever this entails for their respective societies. Regular people becoming immortal, people like your grandparents who have been defined by their past experiences living well into the future and never/rarely changing their views. Imagine what the world would look like today if a newer generation didn't exist. Think about how many social issues would never have been solved or even addressed from people who lived most of their lives as farmers and know jack shit about science, technology, history, politics and all that. Now that's a horrifying thought.

That wouldn't prevent me from curing myself if such medicine existed, however.

Brilliant! We'll just use simple logic and tell everyone to stop having kids, going against all instinct and the fact that sex is so fucking desirable. That'll work great, I'm sure.

The point being that they all thoroughly defy what were previously believed to be laws of nature - and I somehow doubt those are the last such laws to be redefined.

There are specific genes that affect the rates and ways at which humans age. We can modify and manipulate genes.

If we listened to retards like you we'd still be in the dark ages.

>Children being injected with hormones to 'turn the into the other gender'
>Social issues solved

Of course, who gives a shit about freedom of action and expression in a democratic society, we should just impose our opinions on them, they're mentally ill after all, right? They don't know what they're doing with their own bodies. Down with the degeneracy!

I think it was 3 years ago some scientists at a university altered the cells of mice to make them younger.

The end result was the mice got cancer despite getting younger. Despite the cancer part, the mice getting younger we pretty damn good.

Give it 20-40 years at best before you see something good happen with fighting aging. Be the best shit.

>Overpopulation
Nothing wrong with genociding the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.

Couldn't you prevent cancer by deleting the genes responsible for the production of telomerase?