What significant advances in medicine can we reasonably expect to occur in the next 10 years?

What significant advances in medicine can we reasonably expect to occur in the next 10 years?

I'm not talking about huge breakthroughs like a cure for all cancers or something equally huge (unless there is something on that scale that seems likely to arrive soon); but things like new vaccines, new gene therapies, new cosmetic procedures, new organ regeneration / replacement procedures and the like.

Anything good right around the corner?

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adhm.201400045/abstract
freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0060392.html
global.kyocera.com/news/2016/0702_nfid.html
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0116892
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0157106
scripps.edu/kelly/research.html
nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/laser-therapy-prompts-regeneration-teeth
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>New Hydrogel Film Repairs Corneal Cells
Cornea repearing cells. Its successfull in sheep corneas. they will start human trials next year.
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adhm.201400045/abstract
freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0060392.html

Nice. That's exactly the sort of thing I mean.

The Japanese National Institute of Technology (RIKEN - budget ~$800m) is partnering with multi-billion dollar electronics giant Kyocera Corporation and biotechnology firm Organ Technologies to pursue human clinical trials for a new type of hair regeneration treatment, with clinical trials beginning in 2017-2018 and commercial availability targeted before 2020. This is possible because of new laws in Japan which substantially speed up the approval process for new medicines and medical technologies.

The treatment involves collecting a sample from a patient's healthy hair follicles and multiplying it hundreds or thousands of times in cell culture, and grafting it onto the patient. This is a radical improvement on existing procedures which can only reposition existing hair, resulting in a patchy or thin appearance. This method can provide full restoration of aesthetic quality.

Considerable success in animal models has already been demonstrated, and expectations for success in human patients are very high. Clinical trials begin within 2 years.

global.kyocera.com/news/2016/0702_nfid.html
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0116892

Our understanding of limb regeneration processes is increasing, paving the way for growing appendages: journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0157106

An alumni from my school is now a professor of biochemistry at Standford I believe. He gave a lecture at an alumni conference about a year ago about being on the breaking edge of a compound that can reverse the kinetics of protein denaturation and aggregation of cataracts.

It's proving really well in animal trials and is administered by a simple ophthalmic solution. The same process could be revolutionary in treating other protein-plaque pathologies like Alzheimer's.

Have the animal model studies found that it can clear amyloid-beta plaques?

Sorry he's at The Scripps Research Institute.

"Our major goal is to understand the molecular mechanisms of protein folding and misfolding in a test tube, and in the cytoplasm and secretory pathway of mammalian cells. To accomplish this, we employ cell biological, spectroscopic, and biophysical approaches, in combination with chemical synthesis. The latter is being utilized to discover small molecules that manipulate protein folding and misfolding at the protein level and systems biology level in mammals. Besides understanding protein misfolding diseases, we also aim to develop new small-molecule therapeutic strategies against these neurodegenerative disorders."

scripps.edu/kelly/research.html

at least it can be very easily commercialized compared to pie in the sky cancer research

If I recall correctly from the conference, they had significant restoration from 100% corneal occlusion to ~20% occlusion of amyloid-beta aggregate clearance in just a week of twice-a-day application. My number may be wrong though it's been a while, and haven't sifted through his publications too much, not really my cup of coffee, I'm into forensics.

see .

Dentistry should advance remarkably. New techniques such as laser therapy stimulates the stem cells in damaged teeth to regrow the rest of the tooth. No more filings. No more root canals. No more crowns. Just actual regrown dentin and enamel.

nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/laser-therapy-prompts-regeneration-teeth

neat

Am i evil for wasting a med degree on surgery instead of research, can't stand working on something for a long period of time

phages
>canĀ“t be misused like antibiotics (eaten like candy)
>they collect your virus and send it into a lab
>then they breed the right phage for you
>due the testing of every virus we would may get new Discovery

When can we expect Freitas-style microbivores (mechanical phagocytes)?

Now you only have to stop them from mutating too much in vivo.

>can't stand working on something for a long period of time
then you're just not fit for research and therefore not evil (btw. why should anyone be evil just for not doing research).
As long as you're doing the best you can everyday, i'll be proud of you user.
How will you manage hour long surgeries btw.? Or is it more a longer-period thing?

>New novel antibiotics that target very different things as before
>new antibiotics delivery systems, like
>new cancer treatments
>i think we will have really great advances in prostetics and transplants
>more and better cell culture models, freeing some animal experiments (not that much tough)
>incredible fast DNA and RNA sequencing, making pretty much everything faster in the hospital

i really think in the hospital itself we will see quite a difference in a bit more than 10 years, with extremely fast methods for diagnosis like sequencing so fast, that it's actually faster than DNA microarrays and with diagnosis AI/computers like watson slowly finding it's way we get diagnosis extremely fast and accurate for cancers and infections. With novel antibiotic targets and delivery systems we can then combat those extremely selective and fast.
But hospitals should really step their game up in terms of nosocomial infections and general rules to avoid antibiotic resistant strains. Otherwise we can start from the beginning

Artificial Kidney.

The FDA just approved its use in clincs for 2017.

the first successful human head transplant

>Check'em
Witnessed.

More practical non invasive methods to increase the angiogenesis and wound healing capabilities of the ECM.

nanomachines, sci